What type of car to purchase for driving around in Tripoli, Libya?

I am looking for a new car to purchase in Tripoli, and maybe someone can help me here to recommend the right one. As I've seen alot of cars on the road mainly from the Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Hyundai, and KIA brands. I am not really a german car lover and quite honestly not willing to spend 60-70,000 Libyan Dinars on a car, my budget is around 30,000 LD to the max.

Please Advise. Thanks

I believe that many like the Mitsubishi Outlander for the early morning rush hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BToHDL6hLDM

SeymourSunshine wrote:

I believe that many like the Mitsubishi Outlander for the early morning rush hour.

Those are clearly not driven by Libyans--they keep missing the goal post

A tank would be your best option...

mp_garcia wrote:

A tank would be your best option...

Could you please be more realistic!!!

A German Tank!!?

SeymourSunshine wrote:

I actually know where that is :lol:

if you are looking for a car mate, weigh up your options -

Do you care what happens to it (it will get dented, scraped or otherwise damaged) ?, are you looking for safety, or something that can accelerate away from  trouble ?. I am in the same boat as you, if my contract is renewed in December, I will be looking for a motor of some sorts.

A Panzer, or Abrahams... :-)
For that money you can get a new Santa Fe, or a Tucson (saving 5000).

Have you been to 11th June Street?  Out past the Radisson on East side of city.  Any taxi driver should be able to take you there.  Every car under the sun of every age.  Some good some bad, with your budget you will get a good choice.  Bring an expert with you if you feel the need.

Yea, I think I'll go for the Nissan Infiniti, can you believe it they are selling it for 30,000 LYD and the car is massive in terms of HP,Rims,Eco,Performance, and Safety! One thing for sure it's cheap to buy a car of that type from here than South Africa.

We have a Sante Fe.

Astonished wrote:

Yea, I think I'll go for the Nissan Infiniti, can you believe it they are selling it for 30,000 LYD and the car is massive in terms of HP,Rims,Eco,Performance, and Safety! One thing for sure it's cheap to buy a car of that type from here than South Africa.

Make sure the import duty is included in that price.

Horizontal Harry wrote:
Astonished wrote:

It is, all that is ok I am going ahead in the evening today and buying it off them...but I just hope they don't change their minds around of not selling it for 30,000 this is a bargain...I can't believe it new Nissan Infinity for 30,000 LYD only unbelievable price.

Astonished wrote:
Horizontal Harry wrote:
Astonished wrote:

It is, all that is ok I am going ahead in the evening today and buying it off them...but I just hope they don't change their minds around of not selling it for 30,000 this is a bargain...I can't believe it new Nissan Infinity for 30,000 LYD only unbelievable price.

Is it new or second hand?
I would purpose you New Kia Sportage from Official Dealer with warranty.

I have a beautiful 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited Edition Luxury Family Car, excellent interior & exterior, no dents, no rust or paint chips, it's in MINT condition, fully loaded, Hemi Engine, ALL the bells & whistles: Air, cruise, tilt, sunroof, pwr everything, including seats, and heated seats too, 8 speaker stereo system, 5 CD changer, cruise, and ABS Brakes.
I'd consider selling it when I get to Tripoli, but will I pay huge taxes to get it there in the first place? Can anybody tell me?

John
a.k.a.: The Dachshundman1

Astonished wrote:

I can't believe it new Nissan Infinity for 30,000 LYD only unbelievable price.

When a car gets totaled in the US they get some illegal immigrants to refurbish it for four bucks an hour, then they ship it over. No carfax in Libya.

However, yours may still be an exception. Did they say it was new or used?

The best way to verify the price is:
1. Go to cars.com and find average price for the car you are looking for.
2. Add 3000 usd to that price for shipping from US to Libya
3. Add 10% commision of the agent
4. Add custom clearance duties from 10% up to 30%
And here you go with the final price in Libya.
and dont forget to convert price from USD to LYD.

30K LYD for infinity - UNREAL!!!
Its most probably after car accident. Take VIN code and look for CARFAX report.

Masterr wrote:
Astonished wrote:
Horizontal Harry wrote:

Is it new or second hand?
I would purpose you New Kia Sportage from Official Dealer with warranty.

I think the seller thinks the same way:
but I just hope he does not change his mind around of not buying it for 30,000 )))))))):D:D:D:D

Kia Showroom in Gergaresh is worth a visit or visit their website....

kia.ly/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en

I think the best bet (and safest) is to buy a new car in Libya. In case of a used car you will never know the condition of the car and whether or not it has been driven in Libya without registration by some lead footed teenager who probably wrapped it around a tree a couple of times before fixing it and putting it up for sale as FOB (Fresh Off the Boat).

I bought my car in Jan 2008 with 5,000km on the clock, almost new. Later with closer inspection after a month or so I find the front bumber was repaired as a result of some fender bender earlier on.

That's my two bits and I am sticking to it.......

@mp_garcia:
hahaha.  tank/panzer is basically the best option. no questions asked.

however, for the benefit of Astonished, try going to carlibya.com might suit you.