Driving in Tripoli

I am thinking of moving to Tripoli and I would like some sort of guide regarding the cost of buying or renting cars. Also do they have European models or is there a local manufacturer which dominates the market?

A huge amount of crappy old cars from Europe, often still with the original number plates on. These probably wouldn't be road legal anywhere else in the world. New cars: lots of Camrys, PT Cruisers, Kia, VW, some BMW and Audi.
Do a search on here for info regarding car hire & buying.
Also do a google search on accident statistics for Libya. It's a war zone out there!

Local manufacturer! - only in libyan dreams.

Masterr wrote:

Local manufacturer! - only in libyan dreams.

I am sorry. There is one:
http://www.luxist.com/2009/09/03/libyan … afest-car/

crabby old cars from Europe:) i think most of the cars here u wont be able to afford..

TigerT wrote:

I am thinking of moving to Tripoli and I would like some sort of guide regarding the cost of buying or renting cars. Also do they have European models or is there a local manufacturer which dominates the market?

Strangely enough, some new cars here are VERY cheap compared to European prices, Hyundai Santa Fe V6 at 40,000LYD, which is way cheaper than the UK. BMW, Audi etc all the same price new as back home. 2nd hand cars seem very expensive here in comparison, especially when you consider the state most of them are in :lol:

Clansman wrote:
TigerT wrote:

Strangely enough, some new cars here are VERY cheap compared to European prices, Hyundai Santa Fe V6 at 40,000LYD, which is way cheaper than the UK. BMW, Audi etc all the same price new as back home. 2nd hand cars seem very expensive here in comparison, especially when you consider the state most of them are in :lol:

This is because of custom duties, everything below 3000cc is only 10% taxed. Above is up to 50%.

Masterr wrote:
Clansman wrote:
TigerT wrote:

This is because of custom duties, everything below 3000cc is only 10% taxed. Above is up to 50%.

Cheers, wasn't aware of that, doesn't explain how someone was trying to sell me a 12 year old BMW 316 for 14,000LYD though :lol: try half that back in the UK.

Clansman wrote:

Cheers, wasn't aware of that, doesn't explain how someone was trying to sell me a 12 year old BMW 316 for 14,000LYD though :lol: try half that back in the UK.

Well this case is easy to explain: he was trying to sell it to an expat one.

Masterr wrote:
Clansman wrote:

Ain't that the truth, what makes it worse is that he is a friend of mine :lol:

Clansman wrote:
Masterr wrote:
Clansman wrote:

Ain't that the truth, what makes it worse is that he is a friend of mine :lol:

I bet, this 14000LYD price was after a good discount as a friend.)))))

When I first arrived in Libya, started looking for a car..... asked around in the office for some help and voila.......

Everyone had a car to sell that was the best deal in the market. I eventually gave up and bought from a street dealer. Later someone told me in confidence that it was a good thing that I bought from outside as there was already infighting brewing within the various people in the company trying to offload their crap on me.

What a welcome wagon that was..........

It's often best to check the market in 11July street where you can get a very good price you can bargain some 100-200LYD off the asking price as well.

Always look for the showrooms out there the people are very kind and even if they don't speak english they will support and try to satisfy you as much as they can.

Cheers
Usman