ENGLISH

Hi Folks,

I have some time by Saturday afternoon every week. And I intent to teach English.  And if anyone interested in learning ENGLISH can reply to this post.

I am not doing it for money, and not more than three students. I just want to help.

Cheran

Thank you! It`s so kind of you.
Where will you teach, friend?

Hi Cheran,

You should post an advert in the Language Exchange in Ho Chi Minh City section :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

it's sound great!can you teach me?

hi cheran84

Any where near to district 1 or 4 it depends on the students... Where all of them can meet...

Very kind of you.

Have you had the list of student`s address, teacher?
Personally, I prefer district 1 because I`m living in Go Vap district.
Where do you live?

i think a coffee shop is the best choice.

I know you just want to help. But as English Teacher, you 'intend' to teach NOT 'intent' to teach. Brush up and have 'perfect' English before thinking of accepting students! It's not trivial as students count on you!

Sploke77 wrote:

I know you just want to help. But as English Teacher, you 'intend' to teach NOT 'intent' to teach. Brush up and have 'perfect' English before thinking of accepting students! It's not trivial as students count on you!

I think if i want to help s.o to cook...no need im a Chef. Just i love to cook & can cook good some foods is ok.

Yuli

Yuli_nguyen wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

I think if i want to help s.o to cook...no need im a Chef. Just i love to cook & can cook good some foods is ok.

Yuli

Sploke77 has a point.  I don't even like Vietnamese native speakers teaching English to Vietnamese because so many times I have to correct their mistakes.  It's a step backwards and very hard to unwind a mis-pronunciation.  For example, Vietnamese students saying the number "three" will usually always pronounce it like "tree" (which is a plant, not a number).

It would of been better if the first teacher taught to pronounce the "thr" in "three" so that their students don't say "tree" for the rest of their lives. 

So how old are you?

I train tree yir ol.

But seeing how there is a lack of native speakers, then any help is good...as long as it's done right.

I am glad you spent time on replying, but I should tell "intent" only. Because I fixed and targeted to train and teach, not that I have planned. If I "intend" then I will never do. I will be just replying posts instead.

Yuli_nguyen is typically Vietnamese or ...The attitude is so long as it seems OK, just muddle along. English is not just a language, hello, it's a culture, no less.  So,  either like and respect the totality of perfection of a national language or else do not meddle with it! I am not native but I cannot stand by if someone kills the language, it just irks me. My first teacher was an Oxford graduate and I am proud he gave me a very good foundation. It's also simplistic to equate teaching with cooking. They are kilometers apart!
That's why I am still debating whether I should learn Vietnamese. And if somehow, I do not grow to like the language, and learn it well, I will not even start the process.

In your sentence construction, you used that as a verb, so either you mistype and do not bother to check or you are clueless. Intend is verb; intent is a noun!

If you are really that much worried, then join me. We teach a quality ENGLISH to these peoples for free. If you cannot then stand out of the way. I am trying to help here.

Well I think wanting to help is commendable but as the prison guard says to Mick Travis as he leaves at the conclusion of his sentence in "O Lucky Man,"

It might not be as easy as you think

The th sound, hard or soft, is at least as hard for Vietnamese as the leading ng- is for Americans; some people will never get it.  Medial consonants are unnatural for them, a simple word like "water" is a serious challenge. 

I worked with my housekeeper until I just plain ran out of ideas, beware of that, but I did manage to get her through the construction of this sentence, the superfluous "did."  It's really hard to explain why and when to use that but you absolutely have to.

Sploke77 wrote:

Yuli_nguyen is typically Vietnamese or ...The attitude is so long as it seems OK, just muddle along. English is not just a language, hello, it's a culture, no less.  So,  either like and respect the totality of perfection of a national language or else do not meddle with it! I am not native but I cannot stand by if someone kills the language, it just irks me. My first teacher was an Oxford graduate and I am proud he gave me a very good foundation. It's also simplistic to equate teaching with cooking. They are kilometers apart!
That's why I am still debating whether I should learn Vietnamese. And if somehow, I do not grow to like the language, and learn it well, I will not even start the process.

So , do you know how many years Vietnamese learn english in  school? 7 year.. but how many percent of them can speak?

If here Vietnamese feel learning with him is useful, So it s OK. At least they have a chance to practise. If you cant give that chance, let him do.

Not only teach, everything...if you want to find out the mistake sure you can find mistakes. Really,I greatly appreciate his kindness although i dont need to learn.

P/S: I know my skill english not perfect, maybe it have 1000 mistakes if you want to find out. But if the people can undersand what i want to say, its enough.

Yuli

There's a VN language centre that has a Japanese teacher teaching foreigners all aspects of the Vietnamese language.
Now,given the choice between a native Vietnamese teacher or a foreign teacher,which would be the preferred teacher?
It all boils down to -do you want to learn the right and proper way,or are you happy to learn the average way?

Hello All,

Please note that malicious remarks against a particular person are not acceptable on the forum

So I would kindly ask you all to calm down and focus on the original topic of this thread please.

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Yuli_nguyen wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

So , do you know how many years Vietnamese learn english in  school? 7 year.. but how many percent of them can speak?

If here Vietnamese feel learning with him is useful, So it s OK. At least they have a chance to practise. If you cant give that chance, let him do.

Not only teach, everything...if you want to find out the mistake sure you can find mistakes. Really,I greatly appreciate his kindness although i dont need to learn.

P/S: I know my skill english not perfect, maybe it have 1000 mistakes if you want to find out. But if the people can undersand what i want to saying, its enough.

Yuli

That's right Yuli! Tell them what you think! :lol:

jimbream wrote:

There's a VN language centre that has a Japanese teacher teaching foreigners all aspects of the Vietnamese language.
Now,given the choice between a native Vietnamese teacher or a foreign teacher,which would be the preferred teacher?
It all boils down to -do you want to learn the right and proper way,or are you happy to learn the average way?

Let me throw this back at you.

Would you rather learn English from  someone who was born in another language but got a graduate degree in English at Oxford, or study English with a high school dropout religious conservative from Alabama?

A lot of us here in he south are living in the equivalent of Alabama, and worse, since there is such variation over very short distances.

I did all my initial studying with a university educated man from Hanoi.  I learned the northern tones and the clearer enunciation where there are six tones, not five, and where v- doesn't sound like d- or gi-.

Just like they use on the news here.

ChrisFox wrote:
jimbream wrote:

Let me throw this back at you.

Would you rather learn English from  someone who was born in another language but got a graduate degree in English at Oxford, or study English with a high school dropout religious conservative from Alabama?

A lot of us here in he south are living in the equivalent of Alabama, and worse, since there is such variation over very short distances.

I did all my initial studying with a university educated man from Hanoi.  I learned the northern tones and the clearer enunciation where there are six tones, not five, and where v- doesn't sound like d- or gi-.

Just like they use on the news here.

Do you get any difficulties speaking Northern dialect and tonals? The locals would be surprised you speak VN'ese,but a northern accent/words/tones isn't the best for the deep south I wouldn't think.

jimbream wrote:

Do you get any difficulties speaking Northern dialect and tonals? The locals would be surprised you speak VN'ese,but a northern accent/words/tones isn't the best for the deep south I wouldn't think.

Rarely.  There are words that are different but pretty much everyone recognizes the northern ones.  They hear the Bắc on the news anyway, on government announcements, it's not like another dialect in the sense that Mandarin and Toisan are different dialects, it's a lot more like a different accent. 

I can shift into the southern pronunciation but I have to speak even slower than normally. 

Like most northern speakers who spend a lot of time in the south, I've hybridized a little; northern tones, some southern consonants, bay-yuh instead of bay-zuh but I can revert back by paying attention.

Observation: Vietnamese making an effort to help a foreigner learn will shift into northern pronunciation, just like a parent will call sheep-plural "sheeps" or even "sheepsies," unconsciously accenting the pluralization rule and ignoring the exception.  I've heard people here shift to "bay-zuh" when a moment before they had used the southern pronunciation.

I just like the northern better.  It's clearer, more homogenous, and most importantly I can distinguish sounds I can't in the southern.  Someone says "yay" and by the time I've figured whether it was dây or giây or vê I've missed six or ten words.

Guys, you should understand something, that nobody is perfect. So at least let me pass over my knowledge on English to the local folks, so they don't struggle to communicate with foreigners. If anyone find mistake, then you are free to tell. But in a good way. Come on we all join up and do the right thing, than fighting....
We have to focus on the topic, than dragging into something else...

Yes, I do know kindness is to be appreciated. But please do not give them a lousy foundation and that's what I am concerned about. Clear example is with my spouse that owing a poor foundation by really lousy teachers,, till this day, her grammar and pronunciation in spoken English is worse than primary level. And damn it, its so hard to put right!  The tree upright's strength is owing its strong foundation. So, if the foundation is weak and wobbly, heaven forbid is that doing more good or damage? Sure, Cheran, I wish you all the best and you have many learners but please sincerely, do not trivialize teaching the language : it's effects are life long..long term..

Troof.  I knew dozens of Vietnamese words incorrectly pronounced before actually learning to pronounce and  it has taken years to correct them.  Mostly food words.

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Yuli_nguyen wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

Yuli

Sploke77 has a point.  I don't even like Vietnamese native speakers teaching English to Vietnamese because so many times I have to correct their mistakes.  It's a step backwards and very hard to unwind a mis-pronunciation.  For example, Vietnamese students saying the number "three" will usually always pronounce it like "tree" (which is a plant, not a number).

It would of been better if the first teacher taught to pronounce the "thr" in "three" so that their students don't say "tree" for the rest of their lives. 

So how old are you?

I train tree yir ol.

But seeing how there is a lack of native speakers, then any help is good...as long as it's done right.

Maybe their English teacher was Irish, ( like the one I saw teaching in China ), they usually say ' tree ' instead of 3, confusing when you want trees cut down, how many  tree fellers do you need?

Yuli_nguyen wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

P/S: I know my skill english not perfect, maybe it have 1000 mistakes if you want to find out. But if the people can undersand what i want to say, its enough.

Yuli

Why are you happy with just learning 'bar girl' English? Why not learn proper English, conduct yourself well and then aim to work with MNCs which need good English? Then you can hope for those tens of millions dong as salary every month.. Aspire higher, girl...

Sploke77 wrote:
Yuli_nguyen wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

Yuli

Why are you happy with just learning 'bar girl' English? Why not learn proper English, conduct yourself well and then aim to work with MNCs which need good English? Then you can hope for those tens of millions dong as salary every month.. Aspire higher, girl...

Hopefully manners, etc, etc, are to be learned at the same time. ( if necessary, But I suppose that would depend on the teacher too? ).

Sploke77 wrote:

... Why are you happy with just learning 'bar girl' English? Why not learn proper English, conduct yourself well and then aim to work with MNCs which need good English? Then you can hope for those tens of millions dong as salary every month.. Aspire higher, girl...

It's absolutely good to dream higher! However, the truth here in Saigon is: a bar girl can easy get more than 10mil per month, maybe a lot more! They have luxury fashion items, expensive motobikes, some even have cars. Such a bad thing that a girl who is well educated, working hard earns money less than a bar girl!!! I think you have a good point on starting a foreign language with proper way! But one more thing, learning a language also depends on each student. In Vietnam, the school teaches English since primary but not much people can communicate well! So, as long as they (anyone wants to study English with the guy) feel okay, why you have to bother?!?

bluenz wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

...Why not learn proper English, conduct yourself well and then aim to work with MNCs which need good English? Then you can hope for those tens of millions dong as salary every month.. Aspire higher, girl...

Hopefully manners, etc, etc, are to be learned at the same time. ( if necessary, But I suppose that would depend on the teacher too? ).

That'll be great!  The journey is important but I often think the students just see the destination...i.e..

I want to study English to get a 10-point on my exam. 
I just want to know English so I can pass the test to get into college. 
Just teach me what's on the test. 
I just want to pass college and get my English C certificate so I can get a job.

As in "this piece of paper" says I know English well enough so give me the job.

Sploke77 wrote:
Yuli_nguyen wrote:
Sploke77 wrote:

Yuli

You didnt talk to me face to face, now you judge my English is " Bar Girl". If any people they have skill english " Bar Girl" ..sure they dont keep time for sharing idea here.

Im here...for contributing...So this is the last reply for you. I dont know why you can reply like that...I dont want waste my time to argue with you. Really feel a bit hurt when seeing what you wrote.:(:sosad:

Need to tell you... With me, 10 millions just enough for renting an apartment every month, dont think Vietnamese is very poor like that. And dont think 10 million is Big Salary for Vietnamese. Dont disregard like this.

Im posting here bcz I greatly appreciate his kindness. Only that.

Yuli

Sploke77, I think you're onto a bigger subject so maybe you should make a new thread as to separate the philosophy of teaching and learning English from this specific volunteer gig.

bar girls? What was the topic again?

http://forum.sbrforum.com/image.php?u=355622&dateline=1350724356

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Sploke77, I think you're onto a bigger subject so maybe you should make a new thread as to separate the philosophy of teaching and learning English from this specific volunteer gig.

Agreed, totally inappropriate reference "bar girl" English to a contributing member.

MIA2013 wrote:

Agreed, totally inappropriate reference "bar girl" English to a contributing member.

"Offensive," please.  "Inappropriate" is a corpspeak weasel-word.

We both know what "bar girl" implies.

Apologies, apologies! Could have crossed the line owing enthusiasm to encourage! Used the wrong analogy that touched sensitivities. Shall hibernate  for a while then...Ta Biet

Hi CHERAN84,

Do you still teach English? I want to join your class?

Hi KienPham,

Please note that this thread was posted sometime ago, and the member you are talking to might no more be active

I suggest you to post an advert in the Language classes in Ho Chi Minh City section, this might be helpful. Thank you! :)

Good luck,

David.

Expat-blog team.