Your tips to new expatriates in Quito

If you're living or have lived in Quito, which tips could you extend to new expats?

We namely think of security: should any special precautions be taken (protection systems, areas to be avoided, etc.).

Do you have any particular advice regarding health: malaria is widely spread in tropical countries, is it also in Ecuador? Any other precautions to be taken?

Is tapwater safe in Quito? If not, which advise would you give to make it drinkable?

These are just examples: if you have any other, please add it!

Your help is appreciated!

Well I had a bit of an experience at a resturant here in Quito. Before I left my home country I took a few doses of Dukerol. Just to help with any stomach problems. The dose is good for one year. I had been here for about 5 weeks and hadn't had any issues. One day without thinking, I ordered some shrimp from a resturant here. I was sooooo sick, it wiped me out for 2 days. After talking with locals and some of my teachers...they advised me to only cook seafood at home. Many times the seafood in Quito is not as fresh as it should be. So if your new in town, stay away from the shrimp and shellfish until your better adjusted or can cook it at home.

Living in Quito for over 2 years we found some interesting gourmet places.
(we are not afflilated with these places, we are customers only)

Specialty tea store
Tea from around the world
Le The'
Whimper N2958, entre Coruña y Orellana,
Edif. Elysee, PB. (junto a un Centro Infaltil)
Telef. 2555321
email [email protected]

Producto Gourmet con tradicion Artezanal Suiza
Specialty cheese store
La Maison du Fromage
(Casa de queso)
Rusia N3-21 y Av. Eloy Alfaro, Quito
Tel 02-333-2375
Lunes a Sabado 9:30 a.m. -9:30 p.m.

Carnicerías Argentinas
EL CORDOBES
Tumbaco
sector La Vina
02-2371-114/3540-016
Quito
Av Gaspar de Villarroel E9-130 y el Sol
02-2449-789

Federer
Eloy Alfaro y Belgica, Quito
Federer sells Quesos de Montana Yanayacu, different meat and meat products,
but the reason we are in love with this place - its parrilladas.
it works this way
you come over to the meat counter with pretty big selection
of sausages, meat, pinchos and so on
tell the worker what you want, how you want it prepared on parrillada, we usually go to the vine/beer stand (inside of the store) and get something to accompany our food
go to the cashier, pay, they have seats inside and outside.
meat are prepared right away and served with boiled baby potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce and every table has a bottle of their heavenly sause. The prices are low to moderate, very reasonable. Service are super.

Yes, you need to stay away from the rural areas.  I have just returned from the coastal areas.  Wonderful.  I would not want to go to the mountain areas for any length of time.  Although others love it.  The coastal areas are mild, the food is great, not to mention the people!.  We are moving to Manta in December of 2010.  Selling the house and taking the dog, off we go. 

Expat.com wrote:

If you're living or have lived in Quito, which tips could you extend to new expats?

We namely think of security: should any special precautions be taken (protection systems, areas to be avoided, etc.).

Do you have any particular advice regarding health: malaria is widely spread in tropical countries, is it also in Ecuador? Any other precautions to be taken?

Is tapwater safe in Quito? If not, which advise would you give to make it drinkable?

These are just examples: if you have any other, please add it!

Your help is appreciated!

Malaria is not a concern in the Andes region of Ecuador, just if you go to the inner Amazon region... the tap water is drunk by locals in Quito but I wouldnt drink it, but it is OK enough to brush your teeth, etc...

hope that helps,

Domenick

You'd want to use a bottled water to brush your teeth for the first few months until you get used to the fauset water. Even then, right out of the fauset water is NOT for drinking!

I have lived here for only 3 weeks and while I used bottled water the first couple of days for drinking, my local friends here said I should just boil the water.  I have been doing that ever since and had no problems.  I just boil a big pot, and once it cools I pour it onto a few pitchers and put them in the fridge.  Me, or my 3 year old daughter, have not had any problems.  I am knocking on wood right now, but really the boiled water tastes and looks better to me than some bottled waters that I bought here, and has not had any negative effect on my stomach.

Hi!

Well moving to Quito, is a great idea. It is important to know the places where you can go and what to do. Knowing that Quito is in the Highlands there is no danger with Malaria. The tab water it is better to boil. If you are planning to stay in the Turist zone of Quito you need to know wich places are better to stay, not all are in good areas. About food it is true that if you are planning to have any seafood it is important to know where! And there are good places for it! It is important to keep a copy of your passport with you more than carrying this document with you. A few dollars with you everyday it is ok! If you need more help, you can email me and I will help you better!:)

Hi again. Well I have bumped into a few foriegn visitors and it has prompted me to add a few things.

Bus Travel (long trips): I advize only to travel during the day. If you can, buy your ticket direct from the depot. Bring two bags with you, pack one bag with your non important stuff (clothes, towels ect) and put it under the bus in the storage area. Pack your other bag (smaller) and keep it with you, this means either keep it attached to you or at your feet. Do not leave it in the open for others to see.

Local buses: 25 cents will get you where you need to go. The bus drivers drive fast and stop fast so hang on at all times. Sometimes you will need to enter and exit the bus while it's moving. Prepare yourself to get off one exit before you need too. The buses are super busy...so expect to stand and not have alot of room. I suggest staying off the trolly service. It's super busy and if you are travelling with bags, it's going to be frustrating....spend the money and take a Taxi.

Taxi's : Ask the driver to use the Metro Meter. If not..gringos will pay extra. Do not get into a taxi with a person already inside. You will pay extra for a taxi at night. Use radio taxi's for extra security.

Money: If you must carry large sums of money, split it up. Meaning some in one pocket, some in a wallet or whatever secret places you have. It's a good idea to have a fake wallet. Keep maybe $10-$15 in it...maybe a few plastic cards..no credit cards or anything important. If by chance you are robbed, you can hand them your fake wallet...they will be in such a hurry they will be happy with whatever they get.

I have been living in Ecuador for 1 year. I have travelled most of the country without any problems. You have to be wise and use your head. Leaving your things in the open, wearing flashy stuff and not paying attention will get you in trouble. Stay out of unknown places and always know what is around you. Watch peoples eyes..if they are looking at your pockets...first keep an eye on them..second secure your things...three get out of there to somewhere safe!! Never let your guard down. Stay in groups for safety or with someone you trust.

Rainy season is from June to September in the jungle areas. The rains can be super heavy and cause land slides. This can shut down road ways for hours. Quito is super high in altitude. most people seem ok when they arrive. If they travel elsewhere and return to Quito, they often get headaches and have trouble sleeping in their last remaining days. If you can visit the coast, do so, it is very beautiful and somewhat untouched. If you really need hotwater...make sure you test it first before paying for a room!!

Hope a few of these tips help.

Ecuador can be a beautiful adventurous travel destination, use some precaution and you will have an adventure you will never forget!!