Need Advice(MY name is Steve Retired Former MARINE)

I have had a very bad experience with the people that were supposed to help me locate to Ecuador. Would not recommend to my worse enemy.I have at least 5 more family members that want to come to Ecuador but i will not recommend the people that were supposed to help me.Please advise and does everything have to go through Quito.
E-Mail [Moderated: send details in private]

You have to do a lot of research on your own. Lots of people out there trying to make a buck on an unsuspecting gringo. What exactly happenned if you don't mind me asking to help warn others? There are lots of sources of info including these sites.

I got here on a 3 month visa was told that was all i would need to get everything done.(wrong) also told that my paper work was the best they had seen in a long while.Then the fun began one excuse after the other was told i could leave Quito so i left and went to a great place (MACAS)have made 3 trips back for one reason or another.Until my 3 months was up.Then was told i needed a 6 month visa of coarse would cost more money. Did not want to use my military pay said was to much wanted to use soc.sec but said had to be presented different.Why when i was told all paper was good. Just seemed to want to drag everything out to get more money.Have gotten a lawyer and things seem to be back on track. R/S

Semper Fi, no most everything can be sent through Guayaquil Ecuadors largest city and seaport. It is 4 hours by bus from there or 3 or so by car to Cuenca.
What city are you headed to.?
Gunny

steve walt wrote:

I got here on a 3 month visa was told that was all i would need to get everything done.(wrong) also told that my paper work was the best they had seen in a long while.Then the fun began one excuse after the other was told i could leave Quito so i left and went to a great place (MACAS)have made 3 trips back for one reason or another.Until my 3 months was up.Then was told i needed a 6 month visa of coarse would cost more money. Did not want to use my military pay said was to much wanted to use soc.sec but said had to be presented different.Why when i was told all paper was good. Just seemed to want to drag everything out to get more money.Have gotten a lawyer and things seem to be back on track. R/S

Hi Steve, like you I came on a 3 month visa. I then spent $200 getting a 6 month extension, then I got an immigrant visa (9-VI), that cost me $320. I spent an additional $110 on legal fees and probably about $50 at various notaries and translation services.

One thing to keep in mind, the rules and requirments in Ecuador are confused and frequently change. Many civil servants will give contradictory information, try to insist on requirments that are not valid, or will let you get away with things they aren't suposed to because they don't realy know the regulations. Things here move slow, there's often a lot of pointless back and forth and runing around, and it can be very difficult to adjust to the sillyness and inefficiency. It's a good fist lesson in dealing with the culture shock.

I knew their had to be another JARHEAD out there somewhere we seem to just turn up in the strangest places.Thanks for the info i am currently in Macas but will be moving to the coast or Vilcabamba not sure my son and grandson love the water(North Carolina) so we will see you have a suggestion.Once a Marine always a Marine. I am a Mustang.Thanks again.

suefrankdahl wrote:

You have to do a lot of research on your own. Lots of people out there trying to make a buck on an unsuspecting gringo. What exactly happenned if you don't mind me asking to help warn others? There are lots of sources of info including these sites.

I suspect from what you said these are the same people who tried to suck me in. And they have been successful in sucking others in if it is the same people. I have been following these posts since March and as I have said before the "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" goes from Quito (and Macas) to the Coast. I don't think we are able to name names on these posts but maybe we should. Might check with the TEAM/FOUNDER of Ecuador Forum Ex-Pat Blog. Feel free to send me a private message which you can on this blog. It took me awhile to figure it out.

Sue

I and my husband came on a three month visa and used jane she spoke spanish and english she handled everything boom boom boom smooth took three months and she was worth every pennie and the paper work went through smooth exactly the way she said.  i ended with my cedula card very happy.  best money i ever paid [email protected] she was fantastic on time and perrrrrrrfect not cheap but i dont care you get what you pay for and she told me what to come with boom we started correctly....
I am not a relative or a close friend...i am not sure she still does this?  she is a gringo married to an ecuadorian and is very kind and sweet i like.  tell her sharon sent you and hi honest girl raised well manners respectful.

There are lots of lawyer recommendations from gringos on these posts. Many speak English. Haven't seen any in Guyaquil but I'm sure there are.

Steve,
I just went through the process.
My wife and I would be glad to help you.
We are in Guayaquil until Jan 25th.
It is a tough and frustrating process.
Contact me by email at [email protected]  if you want our help.  No charge.

Thanks will be in contact R/S Steve

Hi Steve:

My name is Alicia Pabon and I would like to [advertise my services and my message is moderated because advertising isn't allowed here]

Best regards,

Sunny2412 wrote:

Hi Steve:

My name is Alicia Pabon [moderated]

Best regards,

I know Alicia and can say that she is very honest and trustworthy. My wife and I rented an apartment from her for two months when we were in Quito and were very pleased . We even got our security deposit back when we left and that is significant.

Ray,
I also know Alicia. She is a very classy lady. I'm glad to hear of your positive experience with her, but was not surprised.
Regards,
Neil

Hey Steve,
My name is Jim Morris I am retired Navy living in Quito with my wife who was born and raised here. If I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me at [email protected], my local # is [Moderated: Please send numbers in private].