Expensive Items in Quito

Hi Expats in Ecuador (Quito),

I am heading out of the US in 13 days, to move to Quito. As I will be making peanuts for a salary I will barely be able to cover my cost of living and have extra cash. I will be making about $400 a month (Any comments on how far this will go, positive please, would be greatly appreciated as well).

I know that some things that may be cheap or easy to come by in the US, may present more expense or difficulty in Ecuador/Quito. Does anyone have any knowledge, of things a person may need/use regularly that would be hard to find in Ecuador?

- hygiene products/feminine hygiene
- clothes/ undergarments
- American foods

Any small thing you have found, and any information would be more than appreciated! Thank you!

Shannon

Super, you can't live in Quito on $400/month unless someone else is providing housing, food, medical and perhaps transportation. Accept you will be "roughing it" and living a spartan life. Your access to American foods will be limited however local fruits, vegetables, starches and meats are fine. Use your luggage allowance for warm layered washable clothing (being from Chicago you should have plenty), an iPod with your favorite music, three month supply of perscription medication, and a sense of humor and adventure. Lastly, don't bring USD bills larger than $20 as it is difficult to change.

BTW, you arrive Quito on the day the new airport opens 1 hour outside town. I suggest you confirm your flight as several international carriers cancelled flights to avoid confusion.

Good luck.

Hi Shannon,

I don't have great replies to your questions but if I did my math right you will be arriving in Quito on opening day of their new airport. When you get a chance, it would be great if you could create a separate thread and describe the experience and let us know how things went. I am really interested to hear about the transport into Quito from the airport.

Congratulations on staring this new adventure. Quito is a wonderful place. I do think $400 will be tight but doable. I had a friend that was doing OK for himself and spending not much more than that each month. A good cheap apartment is going to be the big key, and they are plentiful. It just takes some work to find them and speaking Spanish or having a friend that does will be very helpful.

Is your income going to be coming from teaching English? If not maybe you could supplement doing that for some extra cash and if so maybe you could look for a side gig. Just a thought. Good luck!

Super, a flight of Feb 20 should be ok. Flights cancelled are Feb 19. As Larg states above, key will be finding cheap apartment perhaps with roommate.

fdmcg,

As usual, thanks for getting me through some of my toughest questions preparing for this trip, you have been a good sport. Yes, I am aware of the airport opening (after I booked, bad planning on my part) I will call to double check, but think I should be fine in the way of cancellations. As for the warm clothing. I thought it was a moderate spring like climate...I know nights can get cool, but aren't days between 60-70 for the most part? Also yes, I am really hoping to find a roommate to help with cost of living, as that would be huge. Nice to have someone else to spend time with as well. I have also read on the change factor, so will keep that in mind. Plus I don't want to be a target for petty theft.

Largisimo,

I have a good amount of money saved up for start-up costs, so should be fine for a while but am hoping not to having to cut into it too much. AS for good, cheap apartments. Are many of them furnished? And does this really hike up the price? I don't think furnishing an apt is going to be in the cards money wise, nor will it make a whole lot of sense if I am only there for a year. Side gig is what I am thinking, especially because 20 hours a week is not much for a busy body like me. I was thinking second english teaching job, restaurant. private tutoring. What do you think?

Where are you two originally from/how long in Quito?

Thank you again so so so much! Anything else you think of along the way would be great as well.

Shannon

Shannon, regarding climate think Chicago In spring with a few months of rain for an hour or two in the afternoon. Layered clothes work best with a light sweater or pullover in morning/evening and sleeveless blouse during day when temp gets into high 60's. Pack hats and or sun protection or plan to buy here. Forget shorts as Quito is quite conservative. Try to bring sufficient clothes to last the year with comfortable shoes, sneakers. A furnished apartment will add $50-75/month.

I grew up in NYC area and lived/worked in Wash DC/Miami for 35 years. Moved back to Quito with my Ecuadorian wife in 2005.

fdmcg,

Thank you for the information...no shorts, wow, bummer, I knew it was more conservative than the US, but I didn't think that conservative. I mean I know no shorts in Cuenca, but darn!

Shannon,

I am from Alberta Canada and it gets very cold there but I find Quito nice weather wise, it starts to cool off around 5pm and cools off quickly.  I usually make sure I have a sweater with me when I go in to Quito just incase we don't make it back to the valley before dark.  Make sure you have some sweaters and also a water proof wind breaker type of jacket as the nights are even cooler when its raining.  If you are looking for a second job and you are working near the area I would check out Plaza Foch (Gringolandia) It's an interesting place to spend some time and there are alot of foreigners there who can help you from getting home sick (maybe even find a room mate).  Usually they are backpackers and young and the tips may not be the greatest there but not to far away there are some upscale restaurants and such that the tips may be better.  Most restaurants here charge the tip on the bill as a set amount (%12 I believe).

American food can be found at times and can be expensive, I love to cook and spices are different here and north american spices can be hard to find (if someone has a spot to go let me know please, looking to make some corned beef soon) It is almost impossible to find good soy sauce here and for some reason I can't get Campbells mushroom soup anymore.  Most of the local food is delicious and can be cheap at street diners ($2 - $4 for breakfast and lunch)

\Hope this helps :)

......and yes yes yes $20 bills only, banks will even refuse $50 & $100 sometimes if you don't have an account.

Alberta Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Is Plaza Foch the same as La Mariscal area?

Are there any girls here that may be able to elaborate more on dress? Or cost of products womens use more often? Thank you

Shannon, Campbell's mushroom soup used to be stocked in Megamaxi. Spices are very limited for some unknown reason and why we stock up at Penzes when in the USA. Let me know if you  find corned beef which we have been looking for for years.

fdmcg,

May want to direct that question to Alberta Chris...I think you got us confused! lol

suprsweets wrote:

Alberta Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Is Plaza Foch the same as La Mariscal area?

Yes it is the same area, it has a cool culture around there.

I do a lot of shopping with my wife (she is Ecuadorian), she has never complained about the price of anything women related.  Clothing here is expensive if you want north american brands (same goes for hair and skin products), local clothing is generally cheap to buy and also cheaply made.  Recently the government imposed some hefty taxes on certain items, mainly imported stuff, this is the reason imports are very expensive!!  If you have a favorite alcohol I would bring it with you, a bottle of say Absolute is around $50 here.

I'll ask my wife if anything stands out as being expensive to her for her needs.

fdmcg wrote:

Shannon, Campbell's mushroom soup used to be stocked in Megamaxi. Spices are very limited for some unknown reason and why we stock up at Penzes when in the USA. Let me know if you  find corned beef which we have been looking for for years.

fdmcg,

Megamaxi is where I bought the Campbells mushroom the last time, Supermaxi also had it but now nothing at all.  I'll have to check Hiper market. 

I have had no luck finding Corned beef here at all, checked markets, deli's and nothing.  This is why I want to get the spices and cure my own, I am dying for a Ruben lol.  I do have a nice line on home made sauerkraut though :)

Are you in Cuenca or Quito area?

Chris

Chris:
We are to the point that if we find somthing we have difficulty locating the price is irrelevent and we buy whatever is in stock. Sauerkraut, yams and pumpkin are examples.

We live in Quito near to Canal 8.

fdmcg wrote:

Chris:
We are to the point that if we find somthing we have difficulty locating the price is irrelevent and we buy whatever is in stock. Sauerkraut, yams and pumpkin are examples.

We live in Quito near to Canal 8.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to do the same thing :)  I'm living in Valle de los Chillos

Chris,
So odd. I feel somewhat quilty with this response. I'm sitting in Minneapolis MN., and I just had my dinner. 2 Rueben Sandwhiches. I actually don't make them that often, so it was really strange that as I was sitting down reading this post, I was eating one.
I'm coming back in June, I'll throw a couple in my caary on for ya!!!
Stay Well,
Neil

Zenspike!! You didn't really need to rub that one in haha!!!!

I think I need to make a trip back to The states to bring my car back to canada to sell so I'm gonn grab all the spices I need to cure my own corned beef down here. Give it a shot anyway :)

Chris, I suggest you visit Penzeys for spices in USA. Great selection, salespeople know their merchandise and sell in lightweight nonbreakable plastic pouches.

I live on $400 a month in Quito, but I live with my wife who also makes $400.  A roommate to split the cost of an apartment will be essential. We've figured out a way to live where we actually save some of the money we make.  $400 a month is doable, you'll just to prioritize what you want to do.  For us, it's traveling.  That means we have to cut back on going out for drinks/food so we have money for buses and hostels to other parts of the country.  I've had to dip into saving a few times for some more expensive traveling, like mountain climbing and the rain forest, but for me it is worth it.  I think we're doing well at living frugally while still having fun here.

Bring sun block from home because it is very expensive in Ecuador. Makeup and face wash/moisturizer are more expensive here too. Birth control pills however are really cheap. $2.70 a month without a prescription. I'd bring all the clothing you need.  My wife does not like their style of jeans or under garments here.  It's also a bit expensive and lower quality.  You can bring shorts if you visit the coastal areas, but you'll stick out wearing them in the highland regions.

American foods are not worth it.  The local food here is much better and cheaper.  We usually make our own food, but when we do go out, we pay $1.50-$2.00 for a very filling lunch.  I'm really not looking forward to the food in the States when I have to go back.

I assume you're going to be on a Cultural Exchange visa?  You can't legally work with that visa, but you can get around it with private English tutoring or working under the table somewhere.

Good luck!

fdmcg wrote:

Chris, I suggest you visit Penzeys for spices in USA. Great selection, salespeople know their merchandise and sell in lightweight nonbreakable plastic pouches.

Thanks!! I'm sure I can fin one on my way from Florida to Alberta lol!!

jm141302,

Thank you very much for the response! It is very helpful

Hey Chris,
There's a spice store on Versalles and Veintemilla (I think it's veintemilla, it might have a different name at that intersection, but it's veintemilla further east) right by the Santa Clara market and across the street from Camari (artesania store, food stuff). i found dill there after striking out at super and megamaxi, although it's different than the dill you can get in the states. i have a running list of spices i want to buy in the states, lol. i made crab chowder the other day and had to concoct my own old bay seasoning, but def did not find celery salt here. it was still delicious though.

I have skimmed over a number of posts and I pulled out the old calculater. $400.00 a month comes out to $13.00 a day. I know of a lady that found a furn. 1 br apt for $200.00.That leaves less than $7.00 a day to live on. I'm not sure about utilitys. Can a person exist on $13.00 a day or am I missing something.
John

Again,
The question always comes up... how much do you really need to exist/ live on? Is that the question you're asking? If you could find an apartment for $ 200.00 per month, that would leave you $ 200.00 for the rest of the month? That leaves you with $ 6.66 a day at a 30 day month.
There is absolutely no way you can live on that budget. Even if you decide to live  a minimal subsistence life style, you won't survive on that kind of budget.
John, although Ecuador is a very reasonable place to live in most aspects to the US,you can't live for free. Take the cheapest meal that you see for lunch at $ 2.50. That alone is $ 75.00 a month, and thats for only one meal a day!
Go on to to You Tube and query: Cuenca Ecuador. A ton of videos will pop up. View some of them. You might get some of the questions answered that you are interested in.
My thought is a minimum income of $ 1,200.00 for a single person is probably in the ballpark. Others might argue less, others will say more.
I'm in no way trying to sound negative, but I think you're trying to get some real life facts, and $400.00 aint even in the ball park!
Good Luck,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Again,
The question always comes up... how much do you really need to exist/ live on? Is that the question you're asking? If you could find an apartment for $ 200.00 per month, that would leave you $ 200.00 for the rest of the month? That leaves you with $ 6.66 a day at a 30 day month.
There is absolutely no way you can live on that budget. Even if you decide to live  a minimal subsistence life style, you won't survive on that kind of budget.
John, although Ecuador is a very reasonable place to live in most aspects to the US,you can't live for free. Take the cheapest meal that you see for lunch at $ 2.50. That alone is $ 75.00 a month, and thats for only one meal a day!
Go on to to You Tube and query: Cuenca Ecuador. A ton of videos will pop up. View some of them. You might get some of the questions answered that you are interested in.
My thought is a minimum income of $ 1,200.00 for a single person is probably in the ballpark. Others might argue less, others will say more.
I'm in no way trying to sound negative, but I think you're trying to get some real life facts, and $400.00 aint even in the ball park!
Good Luck,
Neil

Read the start of this thread by suprsweets. I felt sorry for them with only 400.  your figures are the same as mine. It cant be done.

suprsweets wrote:

- clothes/ undergarments
- American foods

Please listen to ZENspike, Harley Guy and others. No place offers a safety net for expats, including Ecuador, and $400 a month makes the above items way outside your budget. :(

SawMan wrote:
suprsweets wrote:

- clothes/ undergarments
- American foods

Please listen to ZENspike, Harley Guy and others. No place offers a safety net for expats, including Ecuador, and $400 a month makes the above items way outside your budget. :(

you have no idea about my budget so you best STFU I just sold 15  truck tractors and 2 other companys. lets all hear about your budget. Are you taking 1 of your harleys to tour on on your first visit? You seem to throw your 2 cents in on a lot of posts and you are still listed in the USA. I don't think you will run with the same people that I will in Ecuador or the USA

What are you talking about? I wasn't replying to you.

Sorry. I'm tied up in negotiatians on another company right now.  I hear so much NEGATIVATY FROM PANAMA THAT I CANT STAND IT.
I only want to make friends that take me back to my roots as a guy that milked cows for a third of my life and made my own way.
I'm so sorry I took your post the wrong way.
I want to buy a nice sized yacht and hire expats to work with me as crew hands. that would make some of thier dreams come true. I am a U.S.C.G. Lic captain with a 200 ton licence. and my dream is to fish the rest of my life..I'm so sorry...John

Harley Guy wrote:
SawMan wrote:
suprsweets wrote:

- clothes/ undergarments
- American foods

you have no idea about my budget so you best STFU I just sold 15  truck tractors and 2 other companys. lets all hear about your budget. Are you taking 1 of your harleys to tour on on your first visit? You seem to throw your 2 cents in on a lot of posts and you are still listed in the USA. I don't think you will run with the same people that I will in Ecuador or the USA

THEY HAVE HOPES AND DREAM TOO.

You said......"you best STFU"

Not cool John.
Try to mellow out a tad. The written word is often misconstrued, but that kind of response is not conducive to us sharing and learnng from one another. I'm sure with your business background you realize that it's best to sit back, take a breath, and re visit a situation. I'm not preaching. This is usually a pretty good venue for sharing and learning, lets just be cool with one another.
Peace Bro,
Neil

Hi,  I'm still making 400 a month, but I'm unable to prove my existence.

Millions of Ecuadorians are making $400 a month or less.  Most of them I've met seem fairly content.  They're certainly not living the same lifestyle as the expats I know though.

As it turns out zenspike I'm the one that can't read english. I didn't read all that I should have before I flew off the handle.
John

HG,
If I had a nickle for everytime I've flown off the handle, I'd be a wealthy man. I see as I get older, I'm getting a better
" handle " on it.
Hope we're cool, I was just trying to de fuse the situation, and you handled it well on your own. My bad.
Shiny Side Up
Neil

jm,
You are living the life. You have accomplished what most of us wouldn't be able to do, truly assimilate into the population.
Granted, someone in my age bracket isn't really interested in that lifestyle. We have grown to like, and expect our extravagences.
For someone like you that has so embraced the lifestyle is pretty special. I'll admit, I don't have the skill set that you do. Obviously, not speaking the language is a huge drawback for me, and many other expats.
Actually, I suppose it sounds pretty elitist to say " you can't " live on $ 400.00 per month, because many Ecuadorians in fact do. I think we should say " most Gringos " can't.
You obviously have your head on straight, young man. Hope I didn't come off as " one of those guys "
I wish you continued success in your life's journey.
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Hope I didn't come off as " one of those guys "
I wish you continued success in your life's journey.
Neil

Not at all.  Thanks.    To be honest, I like pushing my comfort zone, but I definitely would not want to retire and finish out my life with my current living situation.

>To be honest, I like pushing my comfort zone, but I definitely would not want to retire and finish out my life with my current living situation<

Yeah, that was what I was trying to convey. I just want a place I can live comfortably in my twilight years. You younger guys can go for the adventure. Me.... I'm just looking to relax!
Stay Well

stainless steel products are expensive here. Also prices vary greatly from one place to the other (double). Used vehicles are very expensive. The biggest problem here is to find what you want. They seem to have an import problem and choices are limited. It as been describe to me by an Ecuadorian friend as "... Ecuador is the garbage can of the world..." meaning that stuff that does not sell well in other country are shipped here, and ppl actually buy that junk. Chairs that are not comfortable, serious design flaws... etc. I did find what I wanted so far, but you need to shop alot. If you (or anyone) looking for specific objects, maybe I can tell you where to get it.