Where to live by Quito

Greetings, we are considering moving to *somewhere* near Quito, from Ohio in the US, and wonder if someone can give us suggestions based on the following interests:

We want to live somewhere not crowded, a little bit away from hustle and bustle, yet near enough to go to the city for a day of exploration.

We like hiking and would love to be able to walk out our door and up into mountain trails and hike for the day.

While we like less-crowded, more-rural areas, we would also like to have grocery and restaurants available (I know, we can't have it both ways!).

We would love to have a view.

So can anyone offer suggestions on somewhere to live near Quito for a couple who are considering expat living in retirement?

Thank you.

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum and to take a look at the articles in our participative guide.;)

Harmonie.

Thank you Harmonie, will do.

Cumbaya (20 min from Quito) or Cotacacchi (1 and half hour from quito)

+1 for Cumbaya.  It is the "Hollywood" of Ecuador.  Great shopping, great restaurants and very safe.  Lots of new malls being built and apartment buildings as well.  A little warmer than Quito and not as much rain either.:cool::cheers:

So Cumbaya is not crowded, with lots of hiking available, and is very rural? "Hollywood" does not sound like what we're looking for, if you read the first post. Thank you for your help.

Sorry, but I don't recommend Cumbaya at all. Is as crowed as Quito, no place to hike or walk and very expensive condos an apartments.

Cotacachi is better, there's an important expat community willing to have a quiet life and enjoy nature.
There's other options close to Quito but they're very rural, no expats around, supermarkets and restaurants are small and based on local food.

Vinny

I quite liked Otavalo (about 2 hours from Quito) while I was there, and Banos (3 hours) would have been a quiet place to live.