Personal Message PM are disabled?

Hi Expat.com,
I have been wondering if PM are disabled as a standard?
I have been pm-ing some people and it doesnt seem to have gone through ~ not getting a response at all.

So what are the pre-requisite of having/being able to pm. I have searched the Forum code of conduct and it is not mentioned too.

Kindly advise.

In the unlikely event, it was just me having bad luck.... and no one responding to my three pm....

I was just exchanging Private messages to someone few minutes so I do not think there's some kind of malfunction.

To answer your question,all new members must "activate" their private message privileges. This is done by PARTICIPATING in the forums, and it is clearly explained in the message you receive when you try to send a private message that gets rejected.

So what does PARTICIPATING in the forums mean? Well that's simple, you post some topics, respond to other topics that have already been posted, introduce yourself on the forum. Simple!

They must be significant postings, not just "Hi how are you?" or "Have a nice day!" or just a smiley. Once you've made a number of contributions, then your mailboxes are unlocked. Also the more you post to the forums, the larger the capacity of your mailbox becomes.

Regards,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

enduringword wrote:

I have been pm-ing some people and it doesnt seem to have gone through ~ not getting a response at all.

When a new member sends a PM, the recipient gets a note asking if it's spam, and suggesting reporting it if they dislike it.
If your messages were cut and paste, that'll probably turn off your mailbox automatically.

In this case, it seems you've probably just been ignored by the people you sent messages to.

What were they about?

It seems odd that three in a row didnt respond. That was why I was puzzled.

The first one was to SaintJean asking whereabout/contacts of the organisation.
The second one was responding to an advert on a business section asking for local partner, info and etc.
The third one was responding to Huili Zhang, a post from my wife's national who happens to live close by.

So I assume, if you were a new member and has not participated enough under the forum qualifications, you wont get rejected automatically if you send pm.
Because I didnt get any rejection messages from the pm I sent. Just ignored/no response perhaps.....
Unless it was a silent block/reject.

Anyway this thread has been more clear after this.

An admin once mentioned, that a new member 'spamming' messages would be a problem if they intend to spam services.
Were new members not able to use the PM button from day 1? And the button is grayed out/disabled function in obvious manner? Or just get an automatic rejection message if they pm with a newly registered account.

Send me a PM