Would you be willing to share your experience?

Hi
My name is Jessie and I'm moving to Barcelona in March, any advise?
Where do I start looking for a job?

Looking to make friends :)

Hi
My name is Jessie and I'm moving to Barcelona in March, any advise?
I'm fluent in both English and Spanish
Where do I start looking for a job?
Moving by myself, so it's taking a lot of courage :) Looking to make friends :)

Hi Jessie,
I haven't much help to give you, but Barcelona is a vibrant city. Not cheap,but I suppose you know that already. Presumably you are planning to join the existing hoardes of ESL teachers?
Incidentally.....why Barcelona in particular?

Hi Jessie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I created a new topic as from your post on the Barcelona forum. You can also view our expat guide living in Spain.

Best of luck.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Off topic. Please participate only if you can help or is in Barcelona

I have some Spaniard friends there already, so I have a place to stay and enough to survive for a year, however I'm fully bilingual and to be honest I would rather try to find a job in an international company or even in a hotel or something to do with tourism. I know the employment situation is not that great. I've worked all my life in offices so I know the basic programs like, word, Excel, etc. I also have an American real estate license, so I hope I don't have to join the hoardes of English teachers ;)
One of my biggest concerns is getting my drives license as an American I only drive automatic and as a FloridIan well Florida is flat no curves no hills :)

http://www.jobsinbarcelona.es/

and some info here: http://www.expatica.com/es/employment/F … 06677.html

Driving in BCN can be quite chaotic, there are so many motorcyclists and awkward roundabouts. But, you will need to sit a driving test in order to get a spanish license.

Just noticed that you are from Naples, my family is from Fort Myers :-)

You do not. Spain is a country wit hue unemployment.
Best you can hope for is a partime activity with irregular income teaching English at maybe 1-12 euro an hour
IT is rarely a fulltime thing then, but that is your best chance.
Nowadays I get twice a day beggars at my door here.
No coincidence.
Barcelona is a nice tourist city, but living there would not be my first choice in Spain. Expensive and xenophobic. The Catalans here are maniacal about talking and writing Catalan and it has infested the whole place. So a foreigner doe snot have an easy time with his regular Spanish. Even at McDonalds here.

Take some driving lessons for manual. I learned both. Huge difference and a rookie needs professional assistance with that, not just a friend's advice.
I also have a US realtor license. One does not need a license to be a realtor in Spain though. Anyone can start that kind of business here and, if you were any good in the US realty, you can beat them easily with both hands tied behind your back, since realty is terribly amateurish here.
Just sign up with the state as an autonomo, independent. First check with a local tax adviser/bookkeeper (called gestor) of course and hire one for a flat monthly fee of about 100 euro. It is worth it.
Make sure to get acquainted with issues related to international buyers. There is a lot of opportunity for that here. The Spaniards do not have much money, so foreign capital is really needed.
Do not adapt to their realty style, but create your own to stand out.

Peter

So I'm sort of new at this, where are you living now ? This looks like an old post. I'm an American business developer and was looking for any contacts in Barcelona or Mallorca. I' may also be looking at growing my fitness products business and need someone there to head it up. I'm planning a trip there in late May for a few weeks to chill, do a little business development and perhaps look for a place for part of the year. Hit me up if you are there and or would care to meet.