Now for something different - CARS

Can we import our Dubai cars or would that be really difficult?
And if we do, is it easy to have cars serviced there - like proper agency services?  I amm talking of a Pajero and a Mustang.

Forget about servicing a Mustang here!

Vehicles imported into Libya are generally of a more robust specification that those sold in other regions.

They are designed to run for 000's of km's without oil or water. :lol:

And they'll also rape you for up to 40% for import duty :mad:

Oh dear - big decision to leave them behind then :(
Do they calculate the 40% on the price of a new car or what it's worth now  ... might still be worth bringing in the Pajero....

On A Pajero as it is  4x4 you will pay 60% duty all 4x4 carry this rate, mustang there is a few here and the customs duty will be worked out on the vehicles new price. I would sell them and buy whn u get here.

Thanks - yes, that's what it looks like we'll have to do. 

I hope it's not the same with a container of furniture ...

It's starting to scare me moving to Libya :(

Used personal effects don't attract customs duties :)

Please PM me with details of your Muzzie if you're interested in selling

Thanks Sandman - have sent you a PM :)

DINKY,

You can import your car from Dubai to Tripoli, the custom duties aint as much as what other people said... I just imported a brand new X5 and I only paid 5000 Dinar and car worth 70000 USD
the import Duties depends on;
Car model : not later than 2005
Hores Power: more than 3000 cc you pay more
4 weel drive pay a bit more
You can call a shipping agent in Dubai and asked all your Qs. there are good agents in Dera city center and they do all the work for you. just make sure they work with libya.

Cheers

MO

Thanks Mo that info is really helpful :-)

Mo_marrakech wrote:

You can call a shipping agent in Dubai and asked all your Qs. there are good agents in Dera city center and they do all the work for you. just make sure they work with libya.

Does this go as well with furniture? And how long does it take to ship anything from Dubai to Tripoli?

Mo_marrakech wrote:

DINKY,

You can import your car from Dubai to Tripoli, the custom duties aint as much as what other people said...

MO

Does it mean your X5 is less than 3000cc and 2WD?

And Pajero is 3500cc and 4WD. So i wouldn't be optimistic about custom duties.

He forgot to mention that Libyan nationals don't pay anywhere near the customs duties that foreigners are screwed for...

Hi you all,

Vedder, that goes to the furniture as well, you pay3500LD for 20ft countainer and 6500 for a 40ft one for personal use only.
and for cars its by the capacity of the engin not the hosepower my mistake! if it's less than 3.0L you pay less.
And Sandman6 there is no deference between national and foreign, you just have to find a good shipping agent.
and Mastter my X5 is 30i 4WD made in Germany.