Travel with privete car outside Libya

I have my private car with blue square on plates and want to go in Tunisia with it. What is needed to do it and is it better to just pay someone to drive me to Djerba?

Guess it depends what you want to do in Tunisia. I've never done it myself (yet), but my tame Libyan taxi driver tells me the best way to get yourself to Djerba for a weekend on the pi$$ is to take a Libyan taxi to the border, there will be a Tunisian taxi waiting on the other side. This method means all the Tunisians have to check is your passport, rather than all the car paperwork, which I've heard can take up to 3 hours sometimes. Works the other way too, coming back into Libya.

I want to stay there 4-7 days together with wife & 2kids, so taxi option is off (top much luggage with us to carry). I know few people that were driven by Libyans in their (driver's) cars for a fee of about 250-300LYD.

Sandman what are costs involved?
Taxi to Libyan Border?
Taxi on the other side to Djerba?
Food, drink and accomodation in Djerba?

From here to djerba I think its about 25 to 30 LYD a person,
almost the same from the Tunisian borders to Djerba.

Food is not expensive in Tunisia, you can have all inclusive from 100 TD to 170 TD. Depends. Flats are from 50TD to 70TD

I think it is much better to drive to Tunisia rather than taking a taxi, the taxi driver wouldn't be as cautious and careful driver as you.

if the car is not your own car, ( company car ) you need to have a letter from them stating you are authorized to drive the car in and out of Libya.

if it is ur own car no need to have that letter.

you need to have the car insurance, either from the Libyan insurance companies or the Tunisian. ( there are a number of insurer offices just before the borders or just at the Tunisian Border side to get the Tunisian insurance

Thanks everybody!

Some people are telling me that I need to lay down a deposit for a car in amount equal to car lump price? True or not? Did anyone went actually to Tunis with his own car with blue square on plates?

I'm sure you need to pay a bond via the Libyan Automobile and Touring Club.
I'll see if I can find some more info. for you.

yes,you have 2 lay down a deposit worth the value of your car.  in some cases, if u r lucky, at least 600lyd.  wouldnt do it....better off with taxi.  I havent done it personally but this is recent info from someone that works on the border

Do you know exactly where you may do that? On the border, or you may do it here, in Tripoli?

Wow! lay down a deposit worth the value of the car. Now that is really something. I can not imagine paying out 40,000 dollars to go drive my car to the US from Canada!!!! :blink:

it's all done at the border and can take quite a bit of time.....I would worry not to see the money again......mmmmm???I think using an embassy car, if u know someone, is one way round it......or getting a taxi!

Hi,
we have been to Djerba several times with our own car with blue number plates. You need a "Carnet de Passage" for your car which you can get from the Libyan Automobile and Touring Club in Tripoli (sometimes at the border but the office will be closed in the evening and on weekends). For this they need a copy of the logbook, the libyan driving license, passport photos, copy of passport with resident visa, a small fee and a deposit of 500 LYD (fix amount). You can use it for as many border crossings you like. You get the complete deposit money back when you return the "Carnet". First time you cross the border, one sheet of the carnet will be kept by the border authorities and you get a stamp in the carnet. Next time you just need the stamp. Take care that the car is registered in your passport! They check when you come back. For return to Libya, they check if you brought your car with you, it will be registered in a book at the border with a fee of 1 Tunesian Dinar (keep one TDN for this!). You need around 2 hours to get from Tripoli to the border and another 1-2 hours to Djerba and 1 (sometimes 2) hours at the border, most of it waiting in the car queue. People at the border are usually very friendly and helpful, especially to foreigners.
Hope this information helps you.

sprach, danke schoen fuer alles.
May you give me an adress of Libyan Automobile and Touring Club in Tripoli, or attach map, or give me short description, where it is?