Bag Snatching from a moving car in Gergarish main street

This happened on 5th august, 8.15 pm, outside the mosque near the showrooms Kotton/next/marks n spencer...a little ahead is a mosque.
Guess bag with wallet, enough money in euros, and other currency, with enuff quality makeup, parfume, guess googles etc gone
walked across the street, n stepped on the lane outside the mosque, and from the back, someone pulled on my bag, i did not let go, the straps were very strong, yet the pull was strong ...so to avoid a broken arm i let go...
looked back...screamed, people just watched LOL
I even ran after the car as it slowed down the lane, to turn, as slight traffic was on...
This is the right hand lane. facing ur back towards the mosque, theres a suitcase showroom next to the mosque...the lane is between the mosque and the suitcase/bags showroom
Well got the first 4 numbers of the car
not the digits 05 etc but the main number...first 4 digits and next two digits too i grasped but not in order
anyway went to police
was told by one policeman if u see the car u can always call us..
I wonder despite the fact we provided the details instantly with the car number...this is what police has to say?
I mean is there no law and order here?
How does this country believe they can rise, when the basics are so lame?
Im confused!
And wonder what more can I do here?
being harrassed by the culprit is one factor what say of further actions?
One elderly gentleman who watched, in a white robe, came and said oh! so sorry for the way our people are behaving, and stopped one car n requested him to take us n follow their car in the lane...this man took us around, though it was foolish, the criminals wont be waiting for us anyways!
And this man who drove us around, repeatedly said...
THank God Im not Arabic Im a Bar-bar!
What does this mean?
Then he left us at the police station...
Thanks To him whoever he was...

Sorry to hear that. Report it to your Embassy. Last year when there was a spate of burglaries on expats' houses, the Embassies let it be known how unimpressed they were and action was taken.

Sorry to hear about this.

There have been quite a few of these incidents on that stretch of Gargaresh recently.  It has happened to both locals and expats as well as men and women.

I think there was another thread about it a month ago.

Previous thread

same thing happened to a very nice camera bag with one of our engineers from İstanbul. With a car. at gout al shaul near girgaresh.

bag is gone and the boy hurt his shoulder.

The boys in brown won't move a finger unless you add bling to the equation, sorry to hear that:(

We all need to be very careful...

if snatching has started, it means it will get worse...
It seems like it is becoming a habit as it happens more usually... Do you think that it just happens around the same "mintika" or anywhere? Is it downtown or where foreigners hang out??

I am really sorry to heart that.. It is very bad situation, I know the police should be more helpful - but hiving them just 4 numbers and not in order its very difficult.

I think it is more easier to memorise numbers in order.

bag snatching happens everywhere - all over the world however if there were cctv in the streets - streets would be safer..

Mudman wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Report it to your Embassy. Last year when there was a spate of burglaries on expats' houses, the Embassies let it be known how unimpressed they were and action was taken.

Dear Mudman,
Thank You so much for your effort..much appreciated!
Guess will give a try here...
Thank U

Dear@Samakauk
The first four digits is hundered percent confirmed, last two digits were either 41 or 14 is that too confusing? i was close enough to the car to beat those buggers up with my belt if I had one on that day...
I was fighting between the arabic digits and those vague numbers which perhaps are meant for cars belonging to certain zones...
I have no car here, due to the reasons that driving here makes me feel it is better to throttle myself...
@Napalm I do understand what you mean, but then I feel sorry for these people, who will suffer end of it most? They dont feel responsible enough to raise a voice to the heaquarters, living in pity is one thing...making changes yet another...Im sure the man up there certainly is bothered about what is happening to his people...I find him holding much strength actually...he has an attitude which none of the arabic nations ever had!!
Glad to meet all of you, Thank U for the concern...
Cheers!

Goldilocks wrote:

Dear@Samakauk
The first four digits is hundered percent confirmed, last two digits were either 41 or 14 is that too confusing? i was close enough to the car to beat those buggers up with my belt if I had one on that day...
I was fighting between the arabic digits and those vague numbers which perhaps are meant for cars belonging to certain zones...
I have no car here, due to the reasons that driving here makes me feel it is better to throttle myself...
@Napalm I do understand what you mean, but then I feel sorry for these people, who will suffer end of it most? They dont feel responsible enough to raise a voice to the heaquarters, living in pity is one thing...making changes yet another...Im sure the man up there certainly is bothered about what is happening to his people...I find him holding much strength actually...he has an attitude which none of the arabic nations ever had!!
Glad to meet all of you, Thank U for the concern...
Cheers!

Goldilocks you have a pm from me.

Dear Clansman and Samakauk,
have sent messages to you both
Have no clue whether it went off or not as I see nothing in sent folder, this is confusing...

Thank U for your concern
Cheers
LOL I think I should log off, I dont log off...
Good nite
YAWwn!!

Goldilocks, sorry to hear about your bag being stolen, but I am glad you were not injured.  I guess it is time to leave the handbags at home and keep my cash in my front pocket. It is really too bad this is happening and hard to believe given that traffic is usually so bad on that road it is surprising they actually got away.  Nervy little dudes!

Thank U Bluejay for your concern,
Yes The reason I let go was to avoid a broken arm, Thankfully i was not wearing heels that day, i could see myself with a broken nut/spine.

Yes, seeing the traffic one does feel how could they run off, but like I said, it was a side lane next to the mosque, and they had to slow down to turn left, not many cars were there in that lane, but end of the lane there were few cars which made me run after them, I dont know why i ran, perhpas to confirm the number of the car again, yet i again confirmed the same numbers I got hold of in the first instance LOL
was feeling for a belt around my waist, and cursing myself for not having worn jeans lol, while I ran after them

people watched...

Hve a Lovely day
Cheers!

Dear pal ,

consider this episode as a one useful lesson.
The first thing I was warned about Libya was: Take care about yourself, because NOBODY ELSE will do. I took it seriously, keeping low profile.  I've made only one mistake - I left my digital cam under my things on the beach, thinking it will not happen to me, and went swimming .... of course, it dissapeared when I came back.
The good point: Cam was chinese, battery charger was at home, and the battery was nearly empty.
THe bad point:  I had almost 80 pics of my new born one on memory card, and I had not save it....
When I asked the boys around who was it, they have just said : oh it is up to Allah now, we did not pay attention ... Swell

So , never again to repeat such foolish step

Yep Thanks Zlatan!
No matter how intelligent we can get, yet !! Yet!!
Hve a Lovely evening
Cheers!!