Trujillo vs La Cebia

Hello. Looking to buy a vacation lot in Honduras. Would like opinions on both. ?  Thank you

Hi Trevorandmelissa,

Welcome to Expat.com!

You could give us a little introduction?

Thank you,
Christine

Trujillo is a quiet rustic city where you can find small restaurants and bars. There's a few good hotels there A beautiful place to visit. I would say for maybe 2-4 days tops. Unless your looking to walk around, explore a little and take in the sun if your on the beach.

La Ceiba is more modern yet still has the old world charm. Much busier in the city here. You will have more options for a longer stay here than Trujillo. River rafting, eco tours, beach, a lot of restaraunts and nightlife (both local and Amercian/Canadian), jungle tours, waterfalls, large local outdoor markets and more.
The hospitals here are pretty good and close by.

Both place have their own spots for foreigners. Venturing outside of the modern areas you will find friendly people who are quick to give you a smile. You never know... you may make a friend on your visit to either location. You can find almost everything you will need in La Ceiba vs getting it shipped in like Trujillo. 

I think you may want to consider staying in both places and take in what they both offer.

As an investor I like seeing something there. Even though every development starts as a piece of dirt you have to think about the future, price as it sits and what you really want and are you going to receive this. It's not just about a develper or builder but what is also promised or not by the government (local and federal). Are there "issues" or not ?!?

Some mistakes:
Looking at the hype and marketing of a company.
Listening to others that say I was told property values are going up 20% + per year.
Being read by a sales person taking advantage of a lack of knowledge

Reward:
Take your time and don't feel or be rushed. Think it over and ask as many questions as possible and you should come out feeling great about your investment.

Some unscrupulous new person on this blog (jpfifo) is sending out 'direct beachfront' private messages directing you to a website called 'Playadosrios' How many people are getting into this game of exploiting Honduras? If you like Honduras leave it alone! The more people that come the worse it will get. If you don't have enough money to live here without selling real estate go back home please!Otherwise you are just 'doing it' to yourself bringing in a lot more people.

See both places for yourself in my youtube presentations, the only honest ones on the web. La Ceiba is less safe....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHO5P18Lyw  Trujillo, Honduras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g6wujr_zI8  La Ceiba - Tela, Honduras

Nice videos. Honduras is a 3rd world country. These videos show why I show foreigners around all areas of La Ceiba. Not all areas are like in the videos.
Tourism is a key to Honduras in ALL areas weather you want it or not.

BTW ... no drunks in Trujillo ?!?

There are 6 fictitious usernames on this site that I know about that are from the above named project/development mentioned in post #4.

It's good healthy competition, there is no need to get frustrated worser things can happen. Honduras is beautiful, La Ceiba is the best, the infrastructure has everything be HAPPY!

I like the idea of infrastructure. Could you break down what you like about it ?

Trujillo infrastructure is less than perfect. There are less workers to fix problems that are known nevermind solving ones before they are or can be an issue.
Straight out... there are hours, sometimes 8 or 10 that there is no electric. They shut down a grid to work in it or to improve. Safer this way they think. I agree for how they work. 99% of the time they give a fair warning stating in the newspaper that there will be a power cut and give the length of time.

Personally... I'd rather have less outages here in La Ceiba than in Trujillo, which is how it is

Well that is correct because it is at the end of the lines many power outages and sometimes the internet is down for days. Personally I would rather have less people than La Ceiba! But some developers/real estate agents only know greed...

Services, security, entertainment, social, religion, Transportation by sea or air to islands, eco-turism, English most common second language, Friendly people.

You talk like there is a hot real estate market over there. The place has a long way to go by the looks of it. I thought it was more developed. Its good for anyone with some risk capital that is in early though.

I don't see how western hot money has any effect at all yet

More than meets the eye! I see the Big Picture and personally have had more positive experiences then negative it's not perfect but what place is?

Im not saying its a bad thing. But I will tell you that Pattaya or Phuket Thailand was more developed in the 80's then these places are now.

I just hope that western hot money hasn't miss priced real estate in the country too much yet. In a place like this,with limited infrastructure and security concerns, real estate should be very cheap. I am not sure that the market understands this.

I cant wait to go see.

I am mainly interested in Honduras over other countries in the area because of the city state projects that are being planned.

Waiting to see how the model city all pans out is like island time. Kind of like you stated regarding Thailand in the 80's vs Honduras now. The Caribbean is all overpriced. Panama, Costa Rica and Belize are in a worldwind of hurt. Mexico... another story. Honduras you own your property. Nicaragua leased. With Honduras and The Bay Islands close proximety to The US makes for an interesting investment, affordable and warm weather retreat.
What is even more interesting is how many foreigners from Croatia, Australia, Israel, Germany, Poland etc are investing here. All a good thing

As far as the city states go, I am a libertarian Austrian economist. If these private city states have a chance of getting the ok, then I am here for the long run. It will change the game. With limited government bureaucracy, you will be surprised how quickly things will change for the better.

What do you mean about Panama, Costa Rica and Belize being in a world of hurt ?

Tourism is way down in Costa Rica, Panama and Belize. Property values at all time lows and still dropping along with new discovered affordable warm weather places Honduras.

Are you talking since the financial crisis (2007-2009) or is this a more recent thing ? If the hot money is around then the expansion of Honduras is not going to have as much of a vacuum effect on prices and tourism in the surrounding areas. 

Sorry I have not been following these markets at all. I mainly follow Asian and N American markets. Asian markets have gone up over the last couple years.

Having visited both Costa Rica and Honduras...I feel Honduras is going to grow like Costa Rica has. Honduras has great growth potential in my opinion and has much to offer and at much better prices. My dad and I recently invested in La Ceiba and look forward to living there part time. Going to Rotan and La Ceiba again in May.  I've got the Honduras fever :)