Trujillo Eco Resort

Hi....I hope the moderators allow a lengthy post....I just got back from a wonderful week in Honduras. I decided to take an all inclusive resort in Roatan and visit the mainland for two days. For those that bought at the Eco resort you can rest assure that the development is beautiful and the infrastructure is almost complete. There are a couple of houses built already and some more at various stages. The Recap representatives - Jose and Nicolle - were wonderful hosts and could not do enough for us and went above and beyond our expectations. Jose was our host from Recap for the drive from Le Ceiba to Trujillo which took about 2.5 hours and included a number of police checkpoints along the way. The road into the development is very poorly maintained and seemed to take forever at a slow 10 kmph. Luckily Jose drives a 4x4. I understand that the developers are negotiating with the municipalty to purchase the road or help pay for much needed repairs. Once you enter the resort the roads are in tip-top shape. The beach is spectacular. Work has begun on the amenities area i.e. land is being cleared and leveled etc. however, at the pace they work I wouldn't expect these amenities to be ready for at least another 12 months.

If I had any concerns it would be the addition of newly released lots that were not in the original plans. I would also be a little more comfortable if they finish a resort before starting other resorts. They are not a large company with deep pockets so I would guess that cash from lots sold in Trujillo is being spread thinly across other projects.....I hope I'm wrong.....but why squeeze in additional lots?

As a side note....for those wanting immediate beachfront in the city of Le Cieba I would highly reccomend you talk to Honduras Chris....a frequent visitor and contributor to this forum. I had an opportunity to see some of his stunning projects and beachfront lots.

I also bumped into Randy Jergeson, the developer of the cruise terminal and he said that the project will be complete by year end 2012.  This project looked to be well underway.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity a little.

Regards

hi tamadrum, thanks for the eco resort update. curious, what about the newly released lots would you be concerned about? no infrastructure there as of yet? it's swamp land? etc? thanks.

jay

Byewinter……re adding additional lots. If you look at the original plan and compare it with the new plan, it compromises the original back or side row lots that were originally or purposely purchased for bordering on the natural beauty of the green space but will now be overlooked by the additional (larger) properties….in my humble opinion.

Recap's rationale was two fold……supply and demand, and as the project moved forward they discovered dry solid areas that could accommodate additional lots.

It could also be a business decision related to "cash flow" issues (I hope i'm wrong) or cost over-runs on the Trujillo resort and/or additional revenue to fund other projects i.e Costa Rica and Corinto Pearl. 

The upside is a larger community, the downside is that the resort will be an unsightly construction zone for a number of years to come based on the slow development pace.  This is okay from an investment perspective, but for those wanting to build now or in the near future…..????

Otherwise, I was extremely pleased with everything else the project has to offer.

Thank you for posting information tamadrum - greatly appreciated!
We are planning a trip in the early spring - does the town of Trujillo itself have enough going on to consider a stay of 2 or 3 days? We do plan to head to Roatan as well.

tamadrum.thanks a lot for your update to the resort condition... really appreciated.

I would say right now as it is Trujillo might be at most a d 2 day stay

maxim550 wrote:

Thank you for posting information tamadrum - greatly appreciated!
We are planning a trip in the early spring - does the town of Trujillo itself have enough going on to consider a stay of 2 or 3 days? We do plan to head to Roatan as well.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Another resort just opened up for development right in La Ceiba. I just bought two beachfront lots  at pre-development prices. I believe the beachfronts start at $48K and beach access approx $28K. I know these will go up by 20% when the infrastructure starts in three months time so thats a decent ROI in three months.  Google "playa dos rios" for info. The ferry to Roatan is 15 minutes away as well as the Airport being only 10 minutes.

There's a few new beachfront developments going on in La Ceiba.
It's amazing how many foreigners are coming here to La Ceiba. Just take a drive around the city or go to the La Ceiba mall and you will notice this

lelzammone wrote:

wow. was gonna buy one of these lots almost 5 years ago and the website and litch had not changed a bit. They havent done squat on the so called development in all that time. I was told they would be done in a few yeats and were going to put webcams up on the property so i could see everything being built....it was also 90% sold out 4 years ago as well to put you in a panic buy situation...whatta joke. I woukdnt touch this with a 10 foot pole now. Its in the middle of nowhere and all they have are 3d renderings...

Don't listen to this person who can't piece together a coherent sentence.... are you on drugs or something?

First off, you registered an account just to make that comment AND you posted in a thread that was 3 months old.  To my “surprise” the only person who LIKED your comment was HondurasChris

I am a proud  lot owner in Trujillo Beach and can say there has been A LOT of changes.  Trujillo is a such great place, there are several developments up and coming,  and the cruise line looks to be coming along.  Do your research!!  I think it has so much potential, and I don't like your ignorant Trujillo Bashing

you can read about my second trip to the resort here: http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181435

I'm not sure why lelzammone wrote what he did. But, he did state some facts.
I do like Trujillo and what the future will bring to that area. It's simple things like when a big company tries to squash the little guys like me by putting down La Ceiba or other ways then later they are offering their new project but where ?!? In La Ceiba.

I have been to both cities numerous times and I really like both. I also own and love my properties in both cities (including TBED). 

Do your homework. Ask about HOA fees and taxes and what services they cover. Some sales agents avoid this subject and/or low-ball the amount.  Get references from people that have seen the property and the area. Review the resort by-laws and restrictions.

Honduras is a hidden gem and as long as you do your homework you won't be disappointed.

$300,000 for lot owners in TBED for maintenance per year for what they call HOA fees is a little rich for ten guys with shovels and one guard station unless Honduran wages have increased substantially.That's what we pay as a combined group of lot owners if there are 400 lots.
Dave.

Is Internet, cable TV,Water, security (besides main gate), grass cutting etc included ?

Hi there! New to this site but happy to see some posts about current developements in Honduras. I have just returned from an amazing trip and I am just a few hours away from finalizing my purchase of 2 beach front lots at a new developement in La Ceiba (Playa Dos Rios Eco Resort). I also checked out a few other developements in La ceiba and around Trujillo but after much deliberation and tours of each one, decided on playa dos rios. The trujillo developements are beautiful and coming along great but there was something about this upcoming resort that kept pulling me in. Also probably had something to do with the good pre-developement pricing and incentives. I also love that the developement is literally 15 mins away from the airport and the town (driving 2.5 hours to my destination after being on an aircraft for 6 hours didn't really tickle my fancy lol) I also love that the town is so lively and the ferry is not too far as I loved Roatan :) The sales team were great to work with and went above and beyond to make me feel welcome and take me to see the resort as many times as I wanted as I am a very indecisive person. Anyway,  just thought I would share my experience with you all and I am excited to see what comes of this adventure! Buenos Dias :)

Playa dos rios...who did you buy from?

Through a Canadian company named Eco Atlantic Investments based in Ontario. Made the purchase very easy and seamless, legit company based on my research.

Am also interested in the Playa Dos Rios resort.  Seems to have a bit of everything, which is great.  How's the beach / water in the area?  My wife and I are beach people.  Is the water / beach clean?  How's the sand? How are the locals? Is there much begging?

The area around coco pando is very quiet with only fishermen in canoes passing by. The area of raw land is being developed by LCBC with only oversized parcels of direct beachfront available. But, for investors there is this really tropical place hidden from others being offered not mentioned elsewhere. I have a personal property/investment in this location. Why ? Because its the best of the best.
Only fishermen in this location... No beggers here. Only beach in front with awesome mountain range to the rear. One way in... One way out that is a private entry. With direct beachfront residential lots, beach "view" and beach commercial properties just waiting for the right person to come and make it happen.

Can anyone give an update on Tbed and Trujillo cruise port. I've been reading about the port and it sounds exciting and beautiful. And, has a ship scheduled to dock in 2014. Has anyone had the opportunity to visit the area? Thanks in advance for info.

Hello every one, nice to join in this team, I am very familiar with the TBED project and very familiar with the country as well, hope to have good inter info changing about Honduras and Developments.

Playa 2 rios looks good place to invest.

There are over 60 foreigners here at La Ceiba Beach Club today. Exciting party last night I heard. Today...... High winds and a little soggy. But at least no snow here