Moving to Spain!

Hi all,

I'm hoping to move to Barcelona next summer to teach English. I absolutely love the city - there's so much to do and I love the laidback lifestyle. However, I'm a little worried about making the move. For one, I'll be alone and I don't know anyone in the city, from anyone's experience, is it easy to meet people and make new friends? My spanish is so-so, although I hope to do an intensive language course as soon as I arrive which will help me meet people.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated!
Rosie

Me too...have you got a good property agent to look for a property? If so can you pass on details pls?
Cheers,

Hi to all!

I am also thinking of moving to Barcelona next year that's why i started Spanish lessons in order to communicate better and to find easy enough a job based upon the administrative-secretarial field.
I am fluent in Greek and English and i was wondering how easy is exactly to find a job in Barcelona having in mind that the economy is bad almost everywhere and has striked all countries worldwide...
Additionally, it would be great if i can have some hints and opinions from people who have moved there as their aspect upon things will be more than appreciated..
Thank you in advance.
Anna

Hi All

Unfortunately i have all the same questions and no answers! I'm currently doing a TEFL course (CELTA) and am aiming to move to Barcelona next year and teach english.
From the research i've done and speaking to people who have taught english abroad, it seems like you definitely need to do some kind of TEFL or TESOL course, the most internationally recognised of which seems to be the CELTA qualification (you can do an intense 4 week program)

Although i dont know how viable it is/if its easy to get a job/whether teaching english will pay enough to allow me to live reasonably comfortably?
Some schools seem to provide boarding and food, so i guess living expenses would then be lower, but will i survive of a teaching english salary if i have to find my own accomodation and pay for all my expenses (food, electricity, transport, some medical insurance, moderate spending money to go out and experience barcelona etc)

Anyone with some answers? Please..

There is a section, I think it is Living in Barcelona that should give you a fair cross section of opinion.  If you do not have a lot of professional experience teaching, a CELTA course will stand you in good stead.  If you are living on your salary, you will be sharing an apartment.  Rents are high.  You will also, as the newest teacher on the totem pole have a very irregular schedule and may have to work for more than one company.  They do hire regularly....Though at the beginning of terms is always better than in the middle.  You would do well to have enough money to live on for several months while you get settled.

Hope that helps as a beginning, do look through some of the other forum topics here on Expat.com, there is a fair amount of info there.

Cheers!

Hi everybody ! :)
I've benn leaving in Catalonia for a few years as well as teaching there English in few schools. My opinion is that you need to be able to speak a bit of Spanish. See,Spaniards tend to have difficulties with English and that's the reason for the multiplicity of English schools, on the other hand there are many English teachers and most of them do speak Spanish so my reccomandation for you would be to learn a bit before leaving to Spain. It will help you get around much better and you will feel more comfortable. About the salary- If you get a full time job you can live well. My experience is that it's not really full time and that there is a lot of free time to enjoy as well :)

Im up for giving general hints and tips if anyone wants to message me! Cheers Sara

Hi There,

I have been living in Barcelona for a little over a month. Although my boyfriend is from this City, he is in the UK working so I am here all alone!!

Getting around the City alone is easy and event hough my Spanish is VERY basic, I find people in shops, bars etc really friendly and willing to help.

I'm not sure about working here as I am not at the moment. I am attending a language school for a short but intensive Spanish course.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with specific questions about the City!

Claire

(moderated: no free ads plz)

Hi

I have moved to barcelona last march to look for a job here. I just came for a holiday the summer before and new I will have to move here. since i came on my own i wanted to meet new people and make friends. i rented a shared appartment for two months from the internet. the flat itself was nice and most of the flat mates were students. the location was also great next to the nightlife. originally i was later going to find an appartment but this was more convinient since for the price have all the expenses included and also the cleaning lady. [moderated: no free ads in your very first message]

good luck for your move to barcelona

Hey Rosie,

Barcelona is an amazing city, you should definitely make the move. It's never easy not knowing many people at first but you'll meet people quickly.

I'm 3 weeks through a 4 week TEFL course so I'll start teaching english just after christmas. The money is great for teaching and you should find a job no problems.

Where are you from?

Cal