Cost of living in Dubai

Hi everybody

Let's start a topic about the cost of living in Dubai.

How much do you pay for:

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub

Did I forget something or is this list complete enough?

Thanks for your contribution!

Hi Julian et all,

Prices in Dubai are sky-rocketting, up to the point that most people 'only work' in Dubai, but live in Sharjah, the next emirate up. (causing the massive traffic jams between Sharjah and Dubai.

In the five years I lived in Dubai, cost of living more or less prices doubled. The current OFFICIAL cost-of-living yearly increase is at about 10% (although some rumour that this is kept artificially LOW).

> accommodation prices
As I travelled a lot, I always took short-term leased, furnished single bedroom apartments or studios on the Trade strip. I paid a typical Dhs 8,000 (about US$2,200) per month. And that is a corporate rate. Typically, you would pay around US$2,500.
If you look at longer term leasing (one year or more), you can find a typical two bedroom appartment or villa for that price too...

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
no tube.. almost nobody takes the bus. Taxi fares are typically $10 for a trip from the airport to town. If you move to Dubai, a car is a must (plus one for your wife, plus one for each of your grown-up kids!)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
Cooking at home, I would spend about $1,000/month (and I lived alone).

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
you really need medical insurance.. Without it, you will pay A LOT.. I paid typically $200/visit for a chiropractor or a general practitioner for instance.

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
(my kids stayed in Belgium.. so could not give you good info. I do know there is a shortage of good international schools.

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
petrol prices went up quite a bit.. When I left it was about US1 per gallon. Electricity cost was high also (but can't remember the price)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
can not remember...

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
I am not too sure what you mean by 'traditional'. A one course meal in a decent restaurant with one non-alcoholic drink, would cost about $30. But you can find a bit cheaper at take-aways or in 'curry-in-a-hurry' places.

> prices of a beer and of a coffee in a regular pub
about $1

PS: You might think I give a negative impression. Is not my intension. I LOVED Dubai. I LOVED the environment, the climate (except in summer), the ambiance (Dubai is a party city!!). I would strongly recommend employment in Dubai for young people. Even if it was for the experience.. From all the places and the 100+ countries I travelled to, Dubai was the most -mega-cosmopolitan city with people from literally every country on earth. Dubai has about everything you would wish for, for entertainment (from indoor snow skiing to sailing to mountaineering, camping, hiking, diving, skating, sky diving, etc...).

There is an EXCELLENT series of books for those (thinking of) moving to Dubai (or even for the serious visitor), with about everything you want to know about Dubai.

'Dubai Explorer' http://www.the-explorer.com

They have visitor guides, guides for anyone 'setting up shop' or starting a business,

hope this helps,

Peter
theroadtothehorizon.blogspot.com

I Just received a SMS recommending an App (available for Android and iOS) to find out prices of common goods in different outlets in Dubai...
Check out "Sallety" for android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ed.android

I think it's a good way to estimate your costs.

Download Sallety App, one of Smart Dubai initiatives http://www.sallety.ae to view & compare product prices between the different outlets in Dubai.