Police check for Family Visa

Hello,

I am a Canadian, going to Peru in June to marry my partner (he is Peruvian) and apply for the family visa

Quick question. I know my birth certificate, declaration of being single, divorce records, and copy of my passport need to get legalized and sent to the Peruvian embassy for marriage.

However, for the certified RMCP police check with fingerprints for the family visa, I am unsure if that also needs to be sent to get legalized and sent to the Peruvian Embassy.

Does anyone know if it needs to be sent to the embassy or do I just bring it with me to Peru?

Thank you!

Jenna 1f60a.svg

Hello Jenna,

I'd advise you legalize all documents to be on the safe side. I've been in similar situation and I had to travel to the Peruvian embassy. It'd save you a lot of 'har I known'.

Cheers!

I would agree with Stralande and bring it with me for safety.  Things can take a long time with Peruvian paperwork and if you send it to the embassy here to get to Peru it could take months before they "recieve" it.

@jennahurtubise to add to what I already wrote, I don't know if the law has changed but you need to bring the documents with you. That's how I did mine. I don't think it's necessary to send them. There is also a possibility that they'd hold on to the original documents as was my case. So make a copy of the legalized copies.

Secondly, you'd need to translate the documents to Spanish as soon as you get to Peru.

Also, make sure your police report and birth certificate are recent. This is very important.

@Stralande thank you for the advice. I'm going through a legalization service that sends them to the embassy in Canada and then send me back to me. If I'm already in Peru they can ship them to me in Lima.

I'd just confirm that when you get married in Peru they keep your birth certificate (forever). As I like to keep mine as a memento I got the best colour copy I could, prepped it etc. and enscapsulated it in plastic.

That resides in the local council records office for posterity.

You used to need a blood test as well - which could take a few days - perhaps someone could confirm.

For added excitement fly American Airways so that they can loose your suitcase with wedding clothes in.

@cottonmk

Thank you! I ordered a new copy here in Canada and I think I need to get a physical in Lima and a blood test from what my partner told me. :)