HELP ME

My husband had overstayed with his TOURIST VISA before we got married with kid just of recent and we are planning to normalize his document and immigration officer told me that he has to go out of peru and come back of which we decided that he should travel to Chile or Ecuador in order i can invite him on family visa type
but My main fear is that he might not be able to enter Peru again because he didnt pay his overstayed penalty.
We are contemplating he should apply for POLITICAL ASYLUM and how like to know how long will it cost him to have it done and effect of Asylum on his Status in the nearest future or What can i do because i dont want this Immigration stuffs to break my happyhome  and again my Little baby need his attention of his Father.
Thanks for your usual respond.

I donŽt know wether this issue is already solved or not, but anyway, I can tell you that whenever your husband is at the airport, passing through inmigration, the people there automatically will see hehas overstayed, so they will asking to pay the money, it is a dollar for each day of over stayed. Then problem solved. There will be no future problem as he does everything as the inmigration procedures demands.

Hope I Žve helped you.

There is no way to get political asylum for overstaying a tourist visa. Political asylum has nothing to do with this problem.

You must pay the money or you will have problems. :(

just pay 1 dollar a day at the airport when he leaves. and when he returns, you need to get married, then he applies for residency in Peru for matrimonial.

natosa,

The only penalty for overstaying the Visa is a small fine. Once paid the Visa is self-renewable by exiting and returning to Peru crossing an international border. You can exit Peru and return immediately / there is no amount of time that you have to be out of Peru. For example: you can cross the Ecuador or Chile border and immediately exit and the renewal is either 90 or 180 days extended at which point you have to do the same again.

One way to resolve this so that the Visa need NOT be extended is to apply for the Carnet de Extranjeria which is Peruvian Residency. With this - you can stay indefinitely in Peru and I think in a two year period apply for Citizenship / Peru Allows dual citizenship. The Carnet has some qualifying rules but if this interests you then you will inquire.

When entering Peru you automatically get 90 day visa but if you ask for longer you will get 180 / BUT / you have to ask.

Your thought about Political Asylum is ridiculous, you have been watching Too Many Movies. LoL ! Your problem is easily solvable, no need to panic.

pistachio

Pistachio - by "small fine" are you referring to the dollar a day? If so, it isn't very small if you have overstayed for a long period of time.

However, you are right that the fine needs to be paid.

Also, I have heard it is getting harder to get the 180-day visa when entering Peru... but from what we've seen, it usually depends on what kind of a day the official is having as to whether they feel like giving the longer visa or not.

We've found if you come up with a good reason, like "I'm applying for residency" then it is more likely you'll get the 180 days.

hello Huanchaco,

well I am sure there is a difference between overstay and OVERSTAY on the penalty. I know that in my life when I have procrastinated on a small thing that overtime it can become a Very Big Thing....

I think the author of this topic might best look in to getting the carnet / possible with the application the fine can be overlooked or reduced..... I believe the Carnet is the answer providing there is qualification for one of the requirements.

I will say that if you can select and qualify for one of the choices to obtain the Carnet that it is a very lengthy, bureaucratic and multi multi step process and involves a LOT of running around and fees and then waiting for it to process. Once acquired you have indefinite residency that does not expire.

Of course - it is worth it. viva el peru !

ps Living in Trujillo I have been to Huanchaco a few time and I have enjoyed each trip / about 1/2 hour outside of Trujillo. Of course, Lunch there is always amazing....and now summer is coming....yeaaaaaaaa !

pistachio

Hi Pistachio, too bad it has been so COLD. We used to live in Los Organos, Piura, and miss the hot, sunny weather year round! Of course, sometimes it was too hot. If you're interested, I have put up several videos of the World Longboard Championship going on in Huanchaco this week. Youtube - search huanchaco david schneider

Disfrute!

I just recently got my CE and one of the requirements was a valid entry stamp (not expired), I would just exit the country, pay the penalty ($1 per day) and then re-enter. After that you could apply for the CE.

thanks and I did visit the videos ...... does Peru have a team..... I hope better than the soccer team,,, LoL !......but Peru Always has a lot to Cheer ! about.......

I found the SeaGlass pics great,,,, I will keep my eyes open when at the beach...........

I see the last three posts here by US folks who decided to make a life here in Peru,, and interesting for me,,,, So Much about the everyday here that reminds me of the States when I was a youth......the neighborhoods, the small shops and the differences from town to town,,,, in the states it is almost like every place is the Same place....and it is all Corp. Franchises there now.... it isn't mama in the kitchen making soup.... that and a lot more,,,, to compare in a nutshell,,, Comforts in Live do not =equate= to Quality of Life.....

thanks,,,,,

pistachio

:):cool:

I could not agree more, growing up in NYC, I remember all the mom and pops, which are now mostly gone. But here in Lima so many neighborhoods the Mom and Pops are the norm. The owners of the stores live right behind or above their stores. When ever I go into these little bodegas, which is quite often, since the prices are so much cheaper then Plaza Vea, I feel like a kid again in my old neighborhood in NYC.