Satelite TV on maldives island - OSN / SKYTV / SHOWTIME

Hi

I am from South Africa, going to manage the construction of the Viceroy resort on Vagaru next week. I really want to know how I can get satelite TV hooked up like showtime, OSN, or sky TV, mostly for sport seeing as it is worldcup rugby now...satelite only needs dish and decoder....how can i get this done?

The island is vagaru island, up north in theShaviyani Atoll, Upper North Province, Maldives

thanks paul

Hi Paul,

in most resorts you they will provide you with cable TV, and you will not need to install a new Dish. if what you are looking for is not on the list, you can always get friendly with the resort IT guy. and get the chennel

hope this helps. otherwise. you can always get a dish installed for about 200$ including the receiver and the dish. and 12 month subscription

if you are unable to get a dish for this price, contact me i will get it for you. it will defnilty be cheaper than 200$s.

ask any of your resort mates "how can i get a airtel dish"

cheers
mooch

Hi Mooch,

The problem is it isnt  a resort yet, its the construction of a resort, so resort people or services yet. It is a construction site on a small island that has a labour camp and some management staff for the construction.
They have internet, but not sure how fast, whether it is broadband or just the old dial up slow style and no IT guy to communicate with.

Without ignoring the above as first option, what is the process for getting live sport via the internet in maldives. I mean real live streaming and not one of those website where you get free live streaming for like f1 etc, but the quality looks the same as if someone is filming it with there cellphone and the buffering means 5 second freez every other 5 seconds.

The inportance of this is that it is world cup rugby for the next 4 weeks and dont want to go there thinking i can easily sort it out if i arrive there and find i cant, i may just get on the first plane out again....so really need to find out for sure.

Is there anybody you know out there in male or on a resort that is getting clear live sport on the PC over the net or knows of how to get a setup of dish and decoder running like in 24 hrs,because if the dish and decoder setup and working takes weeks to arrange like alot of things that are island based, then the live streaming is the way to go on the PC but then need that proof very quick. I would expect an IT guy or knowledgeble mate to be able to tell me "go to this website and do xyz and see if the rugby comes through"which i could do now on my internet at home and try it?

hipe you have a connectio for me mooch

cheers

Sniper

Hi Sniper,

i have contacted a guy who sells and installs these dish, and you can get signal to Viceroy, he has just one used dish at the moment which he is selling at rf1200(aprox 78.00)

internet connection is not very good on islands which are far from the capital male. if 3G is available on Viceroy then you can always get one of those 3G USB thingy, you can get 1GB of allowance for about $10.00 can watch about 2 games.

you can get one of these modems for about $50. from one of our telecome providers, if you already have a friend on Viceroy, i will advice you to contact them and ask if they can get 3G.

if you use a iphone4 and you can always create a personal hotspot..again only if you can get 3G.

i have checked with the guy who is selling the dish, and he confirms that you will be able to get a channel on which the Rugby world cup is on air.

feel free to contact me if you like to know more +9607554321 mooch

will be a pleasure to help you out.

thanks
mooch

Hi Sniper,

just wondering if you have settled in maldives already, hope all went well with the Sate-lite stuff.

cheers
mooch

Hi mooch..
Pleasure to meet u here on this blog
Am moving to the maldives in probably a month time to work as a doctor.
Would u not mind to advise me on accomodation in male,if i have to rent a 2 bedroom appartment in male.
What would a reasonable rent and location?
Cheers

zaxid wrote:

Hi mooch..
Pleasure to meet u here on this blog
Am moving to the maldives in probably a month time to work as a doctor.
Would u not mind to advise me on accomodation in male,if i have to rent a 2 bedroom appartment in male.
What would a reasonable rent and location?
Cheers

This is very old post so do not expect to get a reply.