Life in perth?

Hi,

I am new to this website! I am a British woman with a family and we are looking to immigrate to Australia - perth.

we are right at the start of the process and wanting to find out as much as possible about life in perth.

how does it compare to the UK? we are from Bristol?
What are the pro's and con's - mainly the con's really to be aware of the stuff not so good.

How is it being quite isolated from the rest of the world? pro's and con's?

How would my children find it - not so much my little one - but my son would be 4 or 5?

Do you get free education and health care when getting a 5 yr visa - but not being a permanant resident at the start?

Are there places that people recommend living for good schools / community / shops / beach and close enough to the city centre.

any advice comments or help would be great - thanks
sophie

Hi Sophie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

cheers for the reply!

i forgot to mention to anyone who reads this that myself and husband are well traveled and although we now live in the uk (my home town) we moved here 2 yrs ago from living in san francisco for 4 yrs, which we loved.
i think i am most nervous about work... and the obvious - whether we will like living in perth... or not!

Hi Sophie,
I'm a dutch woman living in Brisbane, Australia, I have never lived in Perth so I cannot give any info on that city, but I was wondering if you have heard of the poms in oz forum??
Loads of British expats on there sharing their experiences from their time in Australia, the good and bad.
I'm not sure if I can post websites on here, and to be sure i'm not breaking any forum rules, just google poms in oz, and i'm sure you will find it!
You can read all the topics without having to register, you need to register to post though.
Hope this helps!
Martha