Buying a car in Angola

Hi,

To be able to move in Angola, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Angola: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

Hi Kenjee,

I have been living in Angola mostly permanently for the past 12 years. Having been involved in driving license, vehicle registration and vehicle ownership document issuing systems for both the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Justice, I pretty much know exactly what it is you need to do/who to know to get the process of buying cars, or more importantly, getting the documents issued seamlessly. It can be a painful and laborious process. I can help you out with sourcing a car and getting all relevant docs sorted out and issued. I'm going to be honest with you, what I'd like to get out of this deal is just the opportunity to exchange some local currency for foreign currency (preferably USD). So my thoughts are that we (or you if you'd like) find you a suitable car, I pay for it with Kwanzas that I have on hand, you pay me the equivalent in USD (fair exchange rate, no commissions either way) and I will help you through the rest of the document issuing process no problem.

Cheers,
Darren

I bought my car from HSR motors Luanda.
Routunda Coreia (before Hotel Baia)
Dubai/Pakistan guys.
The sales person name Muhammad 922296262
They did everything for me after selling. Inspection, registration, and recommended insurance guy. So was a one stop shop. They got all brands 30-40 cars but only brand new.

I would avoid buying a car if you can help it. Get your employer to buy it. The whole process does not work and will cause you unimaginable stress!

If you must buy, buy from a reputable dealer (eg, Toyota, Robert Hudson (Ford), Kia etc) and withhold final payment till complete.  You need 02 x credit card docs (an ownership card and a vehicle document "livrette").  With these you are OK. But get road tax thrown in too as that is a hassle to buy. Do not accept paper substitutes. Angolan DVLA lacks docs to print on and you will have nightmare converting temporary paper docs to real thing!

You also need insurance and a licence but no dealer will help you there. Insurance is easy. Licence is a hassle. Dealer may assist with insurance for commission - easier to go to ENSA, AIBA, AAA etc...

Seriously consider not buying unless employer assists!