Buying a car in Angola

Hi

I'm moving to Angola in the summer and am getting conflicting advice about buying a car.

Would it be better to import a car?  It would be from the UK.  Are there any constraints on the car spec (ie left or right hand drive, age, etc)?

Are there reliable garages for maintenance and repairs?

Or are there affordable, quality cars available for purchase in Luanda?

Thanks in advance.

Karen

Hi,

I'm having the same kind of questions. Is it easy to import a car in Angola? Is it long?

Thanks
Miki

You can buy a new car in Angola of course, but it will be bloody expensive.
Also you can buy some 2nd hand car in Luanda, it you probably will buy a lot of headaches, too :-)
Yes, I think it's better to import your car. Then you either register it to carry national plate or just take "importação temporaria" i.e. temporary import route, to save your money.
(will need to re-new it annually though).
Once your car arrive to Angola, you better to find some "despachante" to get your car legalized. It will cost you too, but at least you'll not lose your time and brain cells through all sort of  bureaucratic loops and hoops.

Right hand drive cars are permitted here, but you will have hard times on the road.
By the way: you can bring a car from the neighbor Namibia:
right hand drive cars but in reasonable goo conditions and cheap.

Reliable garages:
may be you'll find some reasonable technician in Luanda (ask local people for info), but it will be highly expensive repair.
So mostly DIY approach is the safest.

I agree with bnetwork, we have been in Luanda since Jan 2008 and my experience is a little different, most of the major car dealers are here also and we bough a brand new Nissan X Trail here which had to be imported since the number plates we use are diplomatic, but you can also purchase a car at any of the dealerships with a already registered LD number plate, it would not take very long to receive the car after paying.

The other option would be to find out from local companies if there are people selling their cars or also from any embassies since there are allot of people leaving angola on a regular basis and selling their cars, I personally would not import my car from the Uk or any other country, it simple takes to long to get it cleared and released eventually. Sometimes up to six months.

Our X Trail were cheaper here in Luanda new than what I would have paid for the exact same thing in South Africa.

If you plan to be here for maybe 4 years or more a new or very good second hand car would be better.

Mechanics can be found at any of the dealers you purchase the cars from and also remember new cars comes with a warentee which helps allot.

But all is not doom and gloom with buying a car here, very good second hand cars can be purchased here, you just need to know how to test the car properly before purchasing or get a mechanic to test with you. I know a very good Portuguese mechanic just across the road from me.

Hello Karen and Mikki,
Where will you be settling in Angola?

I have bought a new car in Lusolanda, a car shop in Luanda, for 14000...a small suzuki celerio, automatic.
You can get a nice jeep, model raph 4 or toyota for 25 000.

You need to import a car, friend. Then, when you leave, you can probably sell it for the same amount you paid for it if you keep it in good condition.  Problem is...getting a good mechanic/service centre.  Even BMW Angola doesn't offer service--yikers.  Does anyone know of a reputable body/repair shop?  I'd appreciate you letting me know.  Thx!

HI guys,
I am planning on comming to Angola and I need to buy a car. Can some one please give me phone numbers of a few local used car dealers who I can contact and get quotations from.
Or atleast point me to where I can get the numbers.
your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zeesh

Hi,

Buying a used or new vehicle in Angola is a very easy process if you know the right Auto dealer there. Normally most of the big Auto dealer are fairly good to deal with. I can give you number of one of the ppl my friends bought three vehicle from. They bought them over a period of two years. 244 922296262. Hope this helps.

Un mot pour l'importation de voitures en Angola. Depuis septembre 2010 la loi angolaise interdit l'importation de véhicule de plus de 5 ans, il me semble. Il faut donc bien s'informer sur les modalités.

Hi and welcome on board Negropolitano!

As this is the anglophone forum please write in English.

Thanks and regards
Armand

(Moderated: no free ads in the forum pls)

I can help you technically to keep costs low,,here are a lot of rip off to expats..

Here is a great guide on how to import cars to Angola:

angolacarro.com/guias/importacao-de-carros-para-angola

All the best

Kenneth

Hello Mate,
I came across your post here last night. I just have questions aswell, Did you end up bringing in your own car? Or did you buy one from Angola? If you imported the car how bad was the process? I am planning to import and sell cars in Luanda so I will use any advise I can get. Cheers!

Toyota Master mechanic
Dear friend
Its to far and very expensive to ship your car to Angola , One major fact you should take into account is that only cars max 3 yeas old can enter the country , I mean 3 yeas old when entering the country , , shipping time  , paper work  etc etc , all inside the 3  yeas .
So  better of buying one there , Be aware of scammes , lots out there .
Go to a dealer .

(Moderated: No free ad on the forum/ Please post in the section cars for sale in Angola)

[Moderated: pls regiser yourself in the Business Directory]

Hi, as far as I know we are not allowed to import car to luanda less then 2013 is that correct
What if I want to bring my car from zambia Nissan extra il 2006 will it be possible?

can one buy fibre glass canopies for the back of pick ups in Luanda. Is there a demand for them ? I am thinking of making them in angola

@fonduefoufou 25,000 aoa or usd?

Hi Davechriis,

Welcome to expat.com !

Please note that @fonduefoufou has been inactive for the past 7 years, I doubt there will be an answer.

If you want to discuss a specific topic, please do not hesitate to create a new discussion on the Angola forum.

Vero
Expat.com team

I recently moved to Angola and would want to know If it is possible to bring  my car that I have been using in Uganda and have it on temporal local plates. I read some post which was indicating that one can still drive their right hand drive but on temporal plates. Can I do that?