Batswana cuisine

Hi,

When living abroad, tasting the local cuisine is part of discovering the country.

What is your favorite food in Botswana?

What is the local speciality?

Share with us the local tastes of Botswana and why not your best recipe.

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

I cannot fault the food in Botswana, especially if you love your meat. One of Botswana's great exports is beef and it is amazing, especially when flame-grilled on a braai (BBQ).There are some brilliant traditional/local dishes - Seswaa (pounded beef), Morogo (spinach and onions) as well as beef and chicken stews, accompanied by rice or 'madombi' which is a large dumpling. They also have another rice/pasta substitute called pap, which looks like mashed potato but tastes nothing like mashed potato. It's made from maize (grounded into fine powder) mixed with water. It's very filling and you can eat a stew with it using just your hands. These are local dishes and I would suggest you try places like supermarkets to give them a try. There are also many restaurants with global dishes, Italian, Mexican, Asian, Indian, etc. Personally, I love the meat - beef, chicken, pork, lamb, it's all good.

Enjoy

Food  cuisine - my favorite  food  is   Rice with  red meat or white meat (stew) cooked  maize flour  eaten   with  meat or any edable  greens