Safety in Botswana

Hi,

We would like to talk about a sensitive but important topic: do you feel safe in Botswana?

How would you define the level of safety in the country?

Can you walk safely during the day and at night without any fear?

Do you think there is a high rate of criminality, social problems or tensions?

Share with us your insight on safety in Botswana and in the city you live in.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

Botswana is a safe country where and whenever you walk.

Botswana is no different to any other country, it has crime at both ends of the spectrum. Before I relocated to Botswana, many people told us about burglaries yet in the 2 years I've been living here, I haven't seen or heard of any such crime. Not to say it doesn't or hasn't happened, but I was given the impression the frequency was high.

I feel safe walking around during the day and like most countries, you naturally avoid areas you are more likely to walk into trouble. From what I can see the Police in Botswana are competent and adequate, there is also the BDF (Botswana Defence Force - military) and good old community spirit. No long after I arrived, I witnessed the community pulling together when a crime was committed. If someone tries to mug someone during the day in a populated area, the second someone screams 'thief' you will see a large crowd form and chase the thief. No-one tolerates this crime in Botswana, the crowd will catch the thief (unfortunately they can receive a beating) but he/she is detained until the Police arrive. It can be harrowing to watch but it's effective... everyone knows this happens yet the thieves continue to try their luck. As I say, I've only seen this once in 2 years.

Another popular industry is security. There are many security firms here and you will find security guards in almost every mall, shop, office - they are everywhere. I live in a gated community and there are normally 3-4 security guards on duty day and night. Those who don't have security guards at their home normally live in properties will an electrical fence on the wall of their property. I've stayed in a house with this form of security and when someone set off the alarm by accident, the response from the security company was rapid.

As I say, Botswana is no different to any other country, the level of crime is no more or no less than anywhere else in the world. I'm from the UK, in the UK you proceed with caution, be vigilant and avoid dodgy areas and the same applies here. If you're a visitor to Botswana then the areas you'll frequent (hotels, malls, etc) will be adequately secure.  Although if you're in Botswana on safari, there are no thieves in the bush ;-)