The Owl's Nest / Three Bears International Schools

Hi Everyone.

We will be moving to Accra, Ghana in the summer of 2014 and I am looking for a school for my 5 year old son.  Does anyone have any experience with either The Owl's Nest International School or Three Bears International School?  I am interested in learning as much as possible about both of them. 

Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

They both seem to have a reasonable reputation. Both have a British curriculum. Another school with a good reputation is Gingerbread. If your child is 5, you might also want to consider Lincoln rather than a nursery school.

I suspect it will depend on your child's personality and the length of your contract.

If you prefer a smaller school, and plenty of individual attention- 3Bears is where I have sent my kids. That was 18years ago, and Christene (Headmistress) recognised them the moment they set foot there some 16 years later! Small classes - with class assistants, lots of playtime, learning through play and sensory activities etc. A school uniform, denim shorts and white golf shirt/ t-shirt…and plenty of school plays and outings - nice playground.

Lincoln has a long waiting list, HUGE school.  If you are staying on contract more than 3 years - maybe Lincoln is a better option.  It's easier sending your child there as middle school and senior school is located on the same premises.

I have never heard any negative comments on Gingerbread - just seen an advert for teachers and assistants. Not sure if they are expanding or had a change of staff.  Never heard of Owl's Nest. Sorry-o. 

I suggest you select a school that is close to your house/ area where you live. Accra has not done any city planning - and the City expanded seriously, so traffic is a major concern and getting more and more 'bogged-down". You do realise that you are advised to have a driver, and in the long run, the driver would do the school-run?

Rgds

Thanks so much for the responses, hkann and Thulana.  It's much appreciated.  Lincoln is too expensive for us and, to be honest, I like the idea of our son being in a smaller school, at least initially. It's our first time living abroad with him and I think the smaller class size and personalized attention might help to make the transition easier for him. Just wanted to say thanks for responding! And Thulana, it's wonderful to hear such good news about 3 Bears!

You also might want to consider Owls Nest as that too has a British Curriculum. You need to consider where you are living as you might find a suitable school close by.

Which school will be close or in the cantonment area? 3 bears or owls nest?. And where can I reach them?

the owl's nest international school is closer to cantonment

Thank you.. Where can I find adress or contact nr?

If you google owls nest ghana you will find the website and contact information. The principal's number is 0245113227

Hi - I have the same question as the initial post. I'm moving to Accra and am looking for a smaller school for my two boys - 3 and 5.  I was considering Gingerbread, 3 Bears or Little Explorers.  Would you be able to tell me anything by way of comparison?  My concern with Gingerbread is that it looks like all the kids above 3 are in the same class and I'm not sure how that works.  With 3 Bears, it seems they will only accept potty-trained kids (!), and not sure if my younger one will be ready come September!  Our house is in the airport residential area, so any advice on how foolish it would be to send the kids to Little Explorers (because of distance and traffic) would be much appreciated!

Also, if you know of any particularly good creche/montessori school in the airport residential area, that would be hugely helpful! I've looked but I can't find anything online.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi there, well at the end I decided not to send my son to a school as we only moved to ghana 2 months ago and June is summer holiday which mean I had to pay 1200 ghs registration and 1500ghs per term and ther is only one and half term left, my son is going to lincoln school in aug so I do activities with him in house and around ghana..

Yes lincoln international is a big school but the smaller kids pre-kindergarden 4jrs and kinder garden 5-6jrs  in a seperate building and play area...the teachers are very friendly and lots of activities and there is a support group for all kids to help to settle. There is 18 kids per class and 2 teachers..

The two differents between little explorer and owls nest is...although both is private schools .little explorer is a montessori school so they allow kids to do what they like eg. If the group is reading books and my child want to play outside they let him play outside where owls nest is structured and well organized. Kids wear uniform to school at owls nest.

Traffic is really bad in ghana overall....but you will go against traffic...going to cantonments or labone....or lincoln school....you might get bit traffic traveling out airport I am not familiar with any schools in airport but you welcome to post on the blog people are very helpful here in ghana...also check the website www.noworries.com....really helpful guideline and sure comes in handy when arrive in ghana...
feel free to ask me any question...I am also new but will help were is needed.

Marna

Hi Marna,

Thanks for your reply!  Lincoln is a good school, I know this from someone who lives in our town and her daughter attended Lincoln, so I'm sure you'll be happy.

Did you mean that if I was travelling from the airport residential area to Cantonment in the morning i would be going against the traffic?  I'm keen on Little Explorers but the same person (above) said that it took her friend one hour to drive from airport to cantt!!

Also, anything you can tell me about 3 bears?  That would be closer to our home, but I need to be sure that my boys would be able to adjust there (they're both in Montessori style schools now).

Thanks again.

I would recommend Owl's Nest. I know the owner, she is actually UK qualified with years of experience in education. They follow a British Curriculum and are very well equipped.

Hi,

We are considering moving to Accra and I was reading above blog which is quite helpful. I have two kids 3 and 7 each and same problem - was looking for some good school near cantonment. I have few queries which are as follows:
1. Academic session starts from which month in Ghana?
2. How much is the fee (both registration/admission and quarterly fee) for Lincoln's/Ghana International/Owl's and 3 Bears
3. Out of above 4, which would be the best and also nearest from Cantonment Area.

Any reply would be really appreciated...Many thanks in advance..

Regards,

I can answer the question re the start of the academic year as it begins in August/September depending on the school. Lincoln is out for the 3 year old as they have to be 4.
The nearest schools for Cantonments are GIS and Owl's Nest. GIS will be considerably more expensive but you will need to contact them for their present fees. They are not supposed to quote in dollars now and as a result their fees change very rapidly.
There will be a registration fee at both schools. I don't kow the current amount but the term fees for Owl's Nest is around 7000 cedis a term and there are three terms in the school year.

Thanks for your reply. I was looking into the websites of Owl's and 3 bears and found that these are just the primary schools and take kids of 2 to 6/7 yrs so these might not be suitable for my elder one. I want to put both my kids in same school. Since you are telling GIS would be li'l expensive, can you pl. suggest some other good international which is neither too expensive nor too far from cantonment?

Thanks in advance...

Regards

Sorry, I am afraid I am not familiar with other schools but perhaps someone else can advise you. There is a section on accraexpat.com whilch lists all the schools and their location which might help

:(:(:( No problem...
Can somebody else pl. help?

What about Roman Ridge International and Tall Oaks International School & Little Acorns International Nursery? Any feedback about these two schools?

Many Thanks....

For the Owl's Nest International School, please take a look at: theowlsnest.info   Also see the Facebook page. School reopens on Monday 1st September 2014, for enquiries.
Contact Numbers: 0302774712 or Mobile: 0245113227   email: [email protected]

The school has a very good reputation and welcomes students from all around the world. Age 18 months-7 years

British Curriculum from Early Years Foundation Stage through to Key Stage 1.

Qualified and experienced British and Ghanaian Teachers

Extra Curricular Activities include: Taekwondo, Drumming and Dancing, French, Swimming, Football and Piano lessons.