Premium visa

Hi all,

My partner and I are hoping to apply for the premium visa and come and rent somewhere in Mauritius for at least a year (visa states a year but option to renew) with our two young children (age 3 and 9 months).

We can obviously only do this when the borders re open after the COVID closures.

Has anyone heard of anyone obtaining one of these premium visas? My partner will be working remotely from his business in the UK. We were just wondering if it was a fairly straight forward process. We have checked we are eligible and we are.

I would love to have some advice on which areas would be a good place rent. We are happy to pay up to 80,000 mr per month and we would ideally like to be within a 10/15 min drive to the beach. Somewhere child friendly I guess and maybe where other expats are living? My brother, wife and daughter are currently working and living in Mauritius and live in Balaclava but my brother said there are lots of other lovely areas. He mentioned Flic en Flac and Tamarin.

Thanks in advance any advice would be extremely appreciated :)

Anna

Hi,

we came to Mauritius 3 months ago, family of 4. Got Premium Visas for all whilst being here already, took appx 3-4 weeks the whole process. Pretty straightforward if you have all the documents in place.

Things to note :

- you would need a proof of long term address, I used the lease contract. So, I could not get visas until we settled the lease
- the length of visa will depend on your return ticket. If you need 12 months I suggest to book tickets 12 months out
- the visa works similar both for long term tourists (you dont need to show you have remote work outside, just proof of intention to stay and not work) and for remote workers (you would need to show a statement or employment contract from your employer)

We landed at Mont Choisy Golf estate in the North, recommended, you might want to check it.

Rgds,
Alexey

Hi Alexey

Very interesting to hear your feed back.  My daughter and I are doing the same - moving in December this year when hopefully flights are back on the go again.  With my daughter attending high school there this will be a long stay for us.  However we need to be on the island to look for suitable houses to rent.  Wondering how one then gets around the requirment for long term address?  We will only have one when we have found a house to rent...

Your thoughts on this?

We will rent say Air B n B while looking for a place but this then only a temp one.

Thank you

Natasha

Thanks for your message. I'm glad it was fairly straight forward and quick for you. So the borders were open to mauritius 3 months ago even though COVID was about?

Very frustrating that we can't get the ball rolling until we book our flights. But can't book our flights until we know we're allowed in.

I had a look at flights to see how much they were and BA won't actually allow you to put a return flight in 12months later. Only 6 months. Did you book a return flight and hoping to renew your visa and stay longer and just change your return flight?

Do you know much about the info on if you stay longer than 183 days you will have to pay tax there?

Also are you renting somewhere. We could just show the rental contract for proof of accommodation?

Where did you move from may I ask? How are you finding Mauritian life? Will definitely check out the location you suggested. Thanks so much for info.

So sorry for all the questions!

Anna.

Hi Anna

i recently spoke to the Mauritius government office about the premium visa, their emails don't get answered but they were helpfull over the phone.  Their email address where you can find all their details - https://www.edbmauritius.org/premium-visa.  Try calling them?  Natasha

Hi - we are also planning to move from uk on a premium visa...as i understood it, if you are married with kids, you need just one premium visa for one of the adults - and dependents can also then enter/stay on that visa? Perhaps double check this but that is what i understand. You are also, i believe, allowed to stay for up to 60 days visa-free i which may help? Again, not an expert, so worth double checking all of this!
The lease thing is a bit of a chicken and egg problem but i would suggest getting a break put in the lease agreement that allows you to leave after a trial period of one month if you are unhappy with the property.

Good luck
Stan

Hi Stan, agree I am getting a visa for myself and my daughter who is 12 will be my dependant.

Natasha

Hi again,

When we came end of Jan the borders were open and flights operated from Dubai, Paris. We interconnected through Paris, originally from Moscow. We had 2 months visa free entry, so we used the 2 months to find a suitable accomodation. A copy of the lease contract was accepted by Visa officer as proof of long term address. The whole process is online but I phoned the visa office once after a week of no reply and visas were released by email shortly after.  For the return tickets I booked refundable flights to Dubai dated Dec 2021.

You may get a ‘master' visa and the rest of your family as dependents.

The process is set up to welcome long term tourists/remote workers, just make sure you meet all requirements. 

Regarding the tax residency I would suggest to consult on this, might be a different approach if you work remotely.

Mauritius is great for families and you get the best of European oriented economy whilst living on an island.

Rgds,
Alexey

Hi. I was out on the island jan/Feb last year. So my plans have to change obvious.
However Chris  (a mad German friend of mine) has his visa now a 10 year.
He has rented a place 2 mins from the beach in flick en Flack.
I'm sure you could tent some room in his.. he's on air and as well.
Highly recommended.
Let me know if you want his details

HI Anna 

I was on the phone with EDB today and they confirmed you do in fact need to show accommodation for the period of the premium visa - which is then for a year.  If you are then happy to arrange a leases for a house before you land on the island then you can get your permit before arrival.  If you prefer to see the house before you sign the lease - which is what I want to do, then one simply has to arrive on the island as a tourist, get your house lease in place and then apply for the permit.  Thanks  Natasha

Hey!

Thanks so much for that info.

I think we will prob do airbnb for a week or so whilst we look and then apply for visa whilst we're there. Pretty daunting agreeing for a years lease on a property just solely on photos!

Thanks again and good luck with your trip! Anna.

Yes I agree!  And daunting making the big move to the island, then agreeing to a lease for a year - all with no permits in place!  Seems a bit crazy to me.

Especially if you don't get the visa approved as then you're still in a years contract at a property but not even allowed to actually stay? Hopefully we get the visas!!

Hello, what if you did want to stay and open your own business? Best Wishes

Namarie wrote:

Hello, what if you did want to stay and open your own business? Best Wishes

Hi Namarie,

In that case you will have to apply for an occupation permit and meet the requirements for it.

Have a look at the bottom of this page in the FAQs section : https://www.edbmauritius.org/premium-visa
Can I apply for an occupation permit or residence permit if I want to work or live for a longer period in Mauritius ?

Best regards,
Anoushka

Once you file your application (no long term lease at this stage), you would get a note that the visa has been pre-approved, all you need is to find accommodation and send them the contract. Hence you are secure in a sense that you commit to a lease knowing your visa had been pre-approved. By the way we sent a 6 month contract (not a year) and the visa was granted until the return ticket date which was 11.5 months out.

Thank you so much!

Alexey thanks very much.  That sounds a little better than getting to the island and just hoping for the best!  I will then try this route once I have a return ticket in hand.

annagibbons13 wrote:

Thanks for your message. I'm glad it was fairly straight forward and quick for you. So the borders were open to mauritius 3 months ago even though COVID was about?

Very frustrating that we can't get the ball rolling until we book our flights. But can't book our flights until we know we're allowed in.

I had a look at flights to see how much they were and BA won't actually allow you to put a return flight in 12months later. Only 6 months. Did you book a return flight and hoping to renew your visa and stay longer and just change your return flight?

Do you know much about the info on if you stay longer than 183 days you will have to pay tax there?

Also are you renting somewhere. We could just show the rental contract for proof of accommodation?

Where did you move from may I ask? How are you finding Mauritian life? Will definitely check out the location you suggested. Thanks so much for info.

So sorry for all the questions!

Anna.

Hi Anna,

Did you ever find out more information about the tax situation? I'm in the exact same situation as you (from the UK and will be working in Mauritius). From what I understand, the tax only applies to money remitted to Mauritius. But then if you're a resident of Mauritius I'm not sure if you also pay tax to the UK gov on monies that aren't remitted there and remain in the UK?

I tried to get professional advice online but I've found it difficult to get any definitive answers.