Visa questions

Hi all.

I've been reading all the visa info on the Chinese Embassy webpage here in the US, but I still have questions. Can someone recommend a good Lawyer to speak with? I will need someone fluent in English.

The biggest question is whether my family and I need a work visa to stay for 16 months, or if there's another visa that will give us resident status to enroll our son in school, get an apartment, drivers licenses, etc...

The issue is we've not decided if we want to work during our time in China, and if so, how long. If we do work, we might qualify for an 'R' visa, which raises even more questions. Speaking with someone familiar with the laws would help immensely. 

Thanks!
Mike.

Hi Gonzo,

According to your profile, you are in the United States and don't plan to come to China until 2023.  Due to the pandemic, policies are in a constant flux, so it is hard to know what they will be in 2023, but I can give you an idea of what it is like now.

To stay for a year and a half, you would have to work, open your own company or have high amounts of investments in China. Anyone coming now needs to process emergency paperwork and meet a lot of requirements.  Once you arrive you would need to quarantine; that leads to extra expenses.

On the United States side, you can get in contact with the U.S.-China Chamber of Commerce.  Siva has a very good relationship with the Chinese consulates and embassy and has been successful at processing paperwork.  He is also very familiar with the options available. (www.usccc.org: contact info is in the footer)

Hope it goes well!
Jim

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : No advertising on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks Jim.

The links are not showing yet, but I will check them out when they do.

When you say "investment", that varies widely in different countries. Does this mean I simply have a bank account of a certain size? Or must I invest in a CN company? I'm mostly retired, but still dabble with starting companies.

I look forward to talking with someone who can help me navigate this. It sounds like the best solution might be for me to just get a job... ;-).

Mike.

China is a very accommodating nation. However they do follow the rules in the strictest fashion.  So to be blunt, do NOT plan on coming to China to do any kind of work, unless you will go ahead and get a Z-visa. If you are found to be working, and do not have a Z-visa you will be deported.

Since your plans include you working, I would advise you to obtain the Z-visa first. That is usually the hardest visa to obtain. Then, all the other visas for your family can subsequently follow yours.

I do wish you the best, but do not be under the mistaken belief that an attorney can "negotiate" on your behalf when you don't fit within the basic guidelines. China is not the Untied States. Laws are few, but they ARE rigid. An attorney would take your money, certainly, but you will not be permitted to stay within China in violation of law.

Not at all interested in breaking laws... not sure what I wrote that would infer otherwise.

My hope is to speak with an attorney who can explain the laws. My situation is not typical.

M.

Of course not. I am sure that you only want a solution to your situation. That's all. What I advise is that it would be much easier for you to determine which visas are most appropriate for your situation, and then go forward an apply for them.

It's an organizational approach which not only would help you best resolve this concern, but also set up for clearer understandings when (and if) you do contact an attorney.