Documents for UK Citizen to move to China

Hello everyone. My name is Josh. I am from the UK and I am currently in the process of become an English teacher in China.

Regarding documents needed to obtain a Z visa, I am a little confused about the process and was wondering if anyone had the answers to the following questions:

• Do I need just a basic DBS check or must I get a full ACRO police record?
  • Do I need to get all of my documents legalized and then have them officiated by the Chinese embassy myself? Or would my potential employer help me with any of this process?
  • Should I have things in paper copy or is it fine to have some things saved digitally?

I would really appreciate if anyone from the UK, or anyone who knows the answer regardless, would be able to help me with my questions! I have spent plenty of time researching answers yet its still all a bit confusing.

Thank you for your time,

Joshua

@Joshua889

Hi Joshua,

I went through this process over the summer, so I thought I'd share some tips that might come in handy.

I had to get a DBS check, which needed to be notarized and apostilled. ACRO checks take a bit longer to obtain, and back in the summer, applying for it was only possible via email. So, it's likely easier to go for a DBS check and then get it notarized and apostilled.

For all your documents, you'll need to go through the notarization and apostillation process and then get them authenticated by the Chinese embassy. If you'd rather not handle this paperwork on your own, some notaries offer the service, although it does come with an extra cost. It's a good idea to check with your employer if they'll cover these expenses. If they do, great! If not, visiting the Chinese Visa center on your own is a more budget-friendly option.

Just a heads-up, the documents you submit to the embassy for authentication must be in paper format. Even if your employer wants electronic copies, it's good to have everything accessible electronically for your own convenience.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, Heda

I will be doing this process soon…

what documents do you actually need?

and what are the typical costs for these?

thank you!

@ScottishBrian

Hi Brian,

If you are applying for a teaching position, you will need a DBS check, TEFL or CELTA certificate, and your degree/diploma. All three of these documents need to be notarised, apostilled, and authenticated by the Chinese Embassy.

The costs for notarisation and apostille may vary depending on the notary. For my CELTA, notarisation was £90 plus £35 for the apostille (I did this in advance because obtaining the apostille by yourself takes a bit longer). The DBS check costs £18 plus £90 for notarisation and apostille.

I obtained my university diploma abroad, so it had to be notarised and authenticated abroad, which cost around 300 euros. At the embassy/visa centre, you will need to pay £47 per document for authentication.

Some notaries offer to notarise all your documents, obtain the apostille, and handle embassy authentication. Prices vary, so if you choose this option, you will have to do some research. If the employer covers these costs for you, it's the simplest way to proceed.

Hope this helps.

Heda

@heda81

Hi Heda,

First of all, thank you SO MUCH for you help! Its great to hear that things worked out for a fellow Brit. There is so much information online relating to this topic however very little of it specifically relates to the process for UK citizens, so I am very grateful for your comments.

I am hoping you could give your advice on one more thing - I currently have my degree certificate but I am still waiting for my Level 3 TEFL certificate to be posted to me (I have an online certification version in the meantime). I am also waiting for my DBS check to be processed. I plan to immediately certify, apostle and legalize these documents together once I have all three of them on hand. Given these circumstances, do you think it is too early to begin applying for jobs? Is it possible to start looking/applying while still being in this paperwork process or would you say its better to apply AFTER having documents apostled/legalized?

Thanks again for your help!

@Joshua889

Hi Joshua,

Great to hear that you found it helpful!

Honestly, I began sorting out my paperwork once I had a contract in my inbox. So, if you start earlier, things might move a bit faster for you.

You can start applying now. Schools and agents know that it takes some time. Plus, you'll get a clearer answer about whether they'll reimburse you for the costs related to getting a visa and medical check.

During my interviews, one agency mentioned I didn't need to do a medical check in advance. But my current employer required a medical check along with all the other documents. My suggestion is to book your appointments as soon as possible, as we know it can take some time to get an appointment with the NHS. You'll receive a medical form from your employer that needs to be filled by your GP, and you'll need an ECG, chest X-ray, and blood test.

If you share your email address, I can send you the form I got from my employer for reference.

Once you have your documents legalized, authenticated, and the necessary referral letters and medical check form, you'll send everything (most likely electronically) to your employer. They'll then kick off the process to obtain your work permit, which can take 2-4 weeks.

Once you receive your work permit, you can book an appointment for a Z visa and then sort out your plane ticket.

Best regards,

@heda81

Hi Heda

Interesting! I wasn't sure about the medical check process either. It would be great to have that. I will message you my email.

Thanks again,

Josh

Just a quick update on this.. there UK documents no longer requires authentication. Since joining The Hague Convention, China will be accepting apostilled documents.