Switching from student visa to work visa

Hi folks,

I'm a British expat living in Beijing, I'm studying Chinese online through a university so I have a student resident permission until September. Instead of continuing my study I'd prefer to start working for an international school.

I have a bachelor's degree but I came here originally as a tourist and stayed. I have received my 2nd vaccine jab.

I'm looking to the hive mind for  information on...

Can I switch visa without going back to the UK?

What is going back to the UK and coming back like now for those with the China vaccine?

Thanks

I'm a Briton too, living in Beijing. I don't have a Bachelor's degree (though I do have higher education [BTEC HND], but the Chinese don't seem to recognise it), so I can't do any teaching, it seems.

When I first came here, some decades ago, I was able to switch from a tourist visa to a work visa with a visit to Hong Kong. I'd imagine that is still the case.

I've only had the one vaccine (the next is in a week or two), but am also looking to go back to the UK temporarily and also would like to know how easy that is these days...still no flights from Beijing, afaik, though you can go through other cities, eg Shanghai or indeed Hong Kong. I think we still need to do two weeks' of self-isolation in the UK but can do that 'at home'. I think we also still need to do two weeks' of self-isolation on arrival back in China too, and that's in an hotel so could be expensive :/ The situation changes quite rapidly though...

Please keep us up to date with what you find out.

Dear Laowai:

Okay, I am not an expert at this but I do have some experience because I hire foreign teachers to work for our company.  Here is what I can tell you as of today May 18, 2021

You might (and I stress might) be able to switch your student visa to a work visa but it will depend on the following:

1. The province you are in and their rules (every province has slightly different rules)
2. If your school has an agreement with the local PSB and they agree it can be done.
3. If your employer has some "pull" with the PSB and they agree

You will need a degree in teaching, English or something that is connected to teaching English if you want to switch.  You need to have a TEFL or TESOL and it must be authenticated.

If you can jump all of the above hoops then it may be possible.  Otherwise and under normal conditions (pre-COVID) you could NOT do it, at least that has been the rule for the past 5 years.

Here is what we have recently found out and this works in Jilin Province and may not apply to other places, we can now switch spousal visas to work visas in some cases, we can switch a humanitarian visa to a work visa in some cases and if the school has a special arrangement we can switch a student visa providing it meets all the requirements.

Be careful of companies or agents who say they can do it, they may get you a business visa but that is NOT a working visa.  You may get a working visa to be a manager at some company but that is NOT a teacher working visa they are different.  Make sure your visa is correct and that the visa you have allows you to work in the job you will have otherwise you are putting yourself at risk.  If you are not sure, always ask ahead and make sure.  Like the saying goes "an ounce of prevention...."

I am not sure if that will help you but good luck.

Dear Mrangry:

Here is what I can tell you about traveling back to home because I currently have a teacher who must go home to deal with some family issues.

1. You will need to do a COVID test 72 hours before you board the plane and the paperwork must be in English and stamped (the Chinese red stamp thing that all documents have to make them legal)
2. If you don't get the Chinese vaccine before you leave you may not be able to return.  Best to get the shots before you go back.
3. Flights are stupid expensive right now but you might be fine booking a one-way and then deal with it.
4. Be prepared not to be able to return for a while, so is your visa going to be valid if you are stuck for 6 months abroad?  If not take what you most value with you as you may need to leave stuff behind.
5. Coming back right now can be murky and it depends on where you are coming from.  Every country has different rules it seems.  However, China is insisting on a COVID test and COVID blood test and both need to have the embassy stamp on that document 72 hours prior to you flying back.  You really need to check with your local embassy back home and make sure you fully comply with the rules they tell you.

As for quarantine rules, well it will depend.  We can't seem to get a firm answer but it seems that if the person has been vaccinated with the Chinese shot and has a negative test they may not have to quarantine.  No one can say for sure yet, at least that has been the case in Jilin Prov. 

For now we are recommending to our foreign teachers NOT to leave China yet.  Until the rules are clear and the policy is clear it's probably better to wait.  However if you must go home you should prepare for a long delay in returning so you should consider what you leave behind as it may be here a while. 

Finally, while China has opened the borders a little it's mostly for returning Chinese not foreigners.  There are some exceptions and a few countries that have "free" visa rules with China have been allowed in.  That is changing but for now it works, however, China has not (yet) changed its policy about having the Chinese vaccine to enter China.  We have heard that may change.

Also, years ago, over 10 years ago it was possible to go to HK or Korea and change a visa from tourist or other to a working visa, that is NOT allowed anymore.  ALL NEW Working Visas must be done in the country of origin which is why we can't hire anyone right now who is not currently in China.  It has been nearly 18 months since any Letters of Invite (LOI) have been issued and you must get an LOI before you can get the working visa from your home country Chinese Embassy.  Until that changes no new hires from abroad can come to China.

BTW I am the foreign teacher manager for my company so I do know what I am saying.  Okay I hope this helps you or anyone else.