Problems legalisation TEFL certificate in UK.

I sent some documents - degree, police check, TEFL certificate - to the fcdo for legalisation last week after having already had them notorized. I got them all back today, but unfortunately they were only able to do the police ACRO, and the degree. I received a note attached to my tefl stating that they it must be issued by a UK based company and they were unable to verify the company via their website or contact details. I checked the website on the certificate "foundationtefl.co.uk". Its very minimalist, no phone number, no company address, no email.

I actually got this TEFL in 2016 when I took a job with a company called EF and they sponsored a 120 hour course so I can only assume its legit. After leaving EF I returned about a year later and was able to get it legalized the 2nd time I went to China, no problem. I'm planning to travel again and am having to go through the notorization legalisation process again as I dont have the last copies but have run into this problem unexpectedly.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Should I just purchase an 120hr online course? What course should I even do?

Just purchase an 120 hr online course? Isn't that cheating?

I thought most people get their TEFL certificates from Cambridge such as the CELTA which is a one month course and widely accepted around the world. So if I were you I'd do that Celta course. I have no idea how much it costs these days but around 20 years ago it was about 1,000 pounds.

Firstly, special thanks to shill88 for the derogatory comments. If they had actually read the message, they would realize this is an issue of provenance.   By EF, I take it that your meaning English First, one of the largest and most respectable training providers in China.  Clearly fco have tried and been unable to verify their document. 

1st thing to try - ask what they need and find it obviously - try contact EF and see if they have an EU office that can verify your document in writing if you send it to them and then resubmit the 2 papers.  (Cost? £15-20) Yes we are still in the EU, the paper would be legal.

2nd thing to try - contact an EF in China and ask where they have their TEFL legalized. You think your the only one with this problem?  I have also come across messages in online forums offering this service, yes really, get it legalized in China and returned to you (yes with the funny green/blue shiny hologram and all attached)  (Cost £35 + DHL To UK £25)

3rd - last resort take a course. Online is unlikely to qualify. Bricks and mortar I'm afraid, or you'll run in to the same problem.  TEFL is ok but you must check how many hours are required. Celta is an option, cheeper to get in Thailand. If your serious about teaching, we'll worth the money.

As for shill88, may I recommend Ladybird Easy Reader, you obviously need a refresher course!

Without any help from Ladybird.... :D (Classy line)

EF is a company, but made up of a bunch of franchises, some less fussy about qualifications than others.
Doing a course recommended by your employer isn't cheating ... but the qualification might not be accepted everywhere.
CELTA is always handy and unlikely to be refused by anyone, but it does take time, and that may not be possible for the OP, so contacting his new employer may be the way to sort it out - Can't hurt to try.

Jamieyazoo wrote:

Firstly, special thanks to shill88 for the derogatory comments. If they had actually read the message, they would realize this is an issue of provenance.   By EF, I take it that your meaning English First, one of the largest and most respectable training providers in China.  Clearly fco have tried and been unable to verify their document. 

1st thing to try - ask what they need and find it obviously - try contact EF and see if they have an EU office that can verify your document in writing if you send it to them and then resubmit the 2 papers.  (Cost? £15-20) Yes we are still in the EU, the paper would be legal.

2nd thing to try - contact an EF in China and ask where they have their TEFL legalized. You think your the only one with this problem?  I have also come across messages in online forums offering this service, yes really, get it legalized in China and returned to you (yes with the funny green/blue shiny hologram and all attached)  (Cost £35 + DHL To UK £25)

3rd - last resort take a course. Online is unlikely to qualify. Bricks and mortar I'm afraid, or you'll run in to the same problem.  TEFL is ok but you must check how many hours are required. Celta is an option, cheeper to get in Thailand. If your serious about teaching, we'll worth the money.

As for shill88, may I recommend Ladybird Easy Reader, you obviously need a refresher course!

Actually there is nothing derogatory at all about my post. If the OP does the 120 hr online course then why not? It is indeed a fairly simple solution although probably better to try to confirm the certificate he already possess. As many people know there are "online certificates for sale" and I was concerned that the OP might have been referring to purchasing the certificate rather than doing the course. I thought you understood that  :). And yes the Celta is very useful if serious about teaching English. EF is also very well known, I almost bought the franchise for one of their language schools some years back.