How are properties held by companies overseas taxed?

I have some properties in the US but these are owned by corporate entities rather than in my own name. All rental income is kept in the companies, I don't receive any salary or other benefits from the properties. Does anyone have any info on how these are taxed (if at all) if I'm living in the Netherlands?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Where you are assessed for your worldwide income is decided by where you live; if you live in the Netherlands, then you will be assessed there for both personal and business taxes.  There is a dual taxation treaty in place between US/NL, which means you won't be taxed twice on the same income, but you should be aware that 27% of taxes raised in the Netherlands are social taxes and not regarded as income; these are not part of the dual taxation treaty - they normally come as a nasty surprise because you are assessed for the whole tax year, not from the date you arrive in NL.

Your tax affairs look to be complicated, my advice would be to go to a tax-consultant in the Netherlands and see what he/she has to say.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team