About Master's Qualification for %30 Ruling

Hello,

I recently got a job offer from Netherlands and would like to clarify if I am eligible on master's requirement for %30 Ruling in Netherlands.

I am expecting to get my Master's Degree from Germany from a University of Applied Sciences(Which is called Hochschule in German). My Master's degree is an MBA. Some websites stated that it should be Msc,some stated that the school needs to be qualified by NUFFIC. Am I then eligble directly since it is a EU university already and same Hochschule level exists in Netherlands or do I need to pay to get NUFFIC evaluation when I apply for %30 ruling?

Thank you in advance

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I think you may have a problem qualifying; your Forum information tells me you are in Köln; you need to be further than 150 km from the nearest Dutch border to qualify.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic,

I know that it will give a bit headache to tax office, but I am in a condition that I have moved to Cologne from Offenburg,Germany (where my university actually is) because of the internship I had to complete with my school. And moving and registration happened on 01.08.2019,which if we with my company manage to get all paperwork needed done before 01.04.2020 I am still eligible for the rule (if other conditions are met too of course). So I know my time limits on that, but I do not know the Masters eligibility as I stated above.So I also need to get to know that.

Thank you in advance!
Irem

Hi again.

Offenburg is certainly more than 150 km from the nearest Dutch border.  You need to have lived more than 150 km from the nearest Dutch border for at least 16 of the last 24 months on the date you apply, so hopefully, you can meet that requirement

An MBA is a type of Masters degree; the only reason why it becomes relevant in the 30% rule is that it allows your employer to pay you 10k euro less.  The only real qualification to qualify for the 30% tax relief is that there must be nobody else resident in the Netherlands who is looking for work and qualified to do the job your new employer is considering you for.  An MBA is by definition an administrative qualification, a lot of people in the Netherlands have an MBA.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team