Medical services

i am on medicare and have pre existing medical condition, i would like to spend more time in da nang, is it possible to get insurance? my recent visit to da nang there were no good hospitals.. is there any one who can guide me on private medical care  i am 65+  thank you

gulshan555 wrote:

i am on medicare and have pre existing medical condition, i would like to spend more time in da nang, is it possible to get insurance? my recent visit to da nang there were no good hospitals.. is there any one who can guide me on private medical care  i am 65+  thank you

Your situation points out a quandary for US citizens over 65.  While medical services in Vietnam are substantially less expensive than the full cost of the same in the US if one is uninsured, the net cost in the US after Medicare payments can be less.  My orthopedic physician quoted me $2000 per side to do knee replacements but I did them for less than $500 net each after return to the US. (Note:  I run my Medicare through Kaiser Permanente which is an HMO.)  If you were a 40 year old with no access to insurance in the US then you certainly could do better in Vietnam.  Over 65, you need to balance the pros and cons yourself.  Depending on your preexisting condition, how life threatening it is and how expensive to treat, you may or may not be better off in Vietnam.  If it is just a matter of pills and occasional testing, as with hypertension or prediabetes, costs in Vietnam could be way less as basic Medicare does not cover outpatient drugs.

Some British and Australians on this board have mentioned returning to their home countries for medical care.  For the British, the medical care may be free which counters the cost of the trip.  For the Australians, the plane fare is a lot less than fare to the US.  Canadians who live in Vietnam long term need to be careful, as eligibility for their medical service is based on residency, not citizenship.

I would dispute your assertion concerning the quality of care.  I don't know about Da Nang per se but good care is there.  You just need to learn to search it out.

thank you for your valuable input, I will research on line quality medical care, my last visit was during TET festival and I was taken to local general hospital,  could not do much to help me at midnight..take you once again!  :)