Furniture Stores

Hello,

Since I'll relocate soon in Cairo I need to consider a furniture store, in case I'll rent an unfurnished property. Ikea was my first choice but looking at the prices in the country (an knowing the average quality) I was wondering if there were better stores in terms of value for money.

Thanks!

Yeah... I was a little freaked out about IKEA prices in Egypt, too.
Some products are close to double the price as in Scandinavia. Makes no sense, tbh.
I guess they calculate their prices to the absolute minimum for accepted profit and don't really have the opportunity to take into consideration what Egyptians can afford.
Some companies use something called "Big Mac Index" to calculate prices. Some don't. Another example is Apple. iPhones etc. are almost exactly the same price anywhere in the world. For different reasons than IKEA, most likely though ;)

I would go to https://olx.com.eg/en/ and buy some cheap used stuff locally and then go exploring when I got there if I was you. But I'm very much a "go with the flow" kinda person when it comes to interior design. Another possibility is to find someone local who you will pay (a small amount) to drive you around and negotiate prices and terms with you. This is a VERY good idea when spending money in Egypt in my experience. Not many places with stone hard fixed prices. Even the posh and fancy ones. Except maybe IKEA ;)

Good luck!

/M.

EmAnzi3 wrote:

Hello,

Since I'll relocate soon in Cairo I need to consider a furniture store, in case I'll rent an unfurnished property. Ikea was my first choice but looking at the prices in the country (an knowing the average quality) I was wondering if there were better stores in terms of value for money.

Thanks!

The local less mainstream ones may work for you. I also second what has been already suggested as to look up used furniture on Facebook if that's what you want, OR check Souq and Jumia (online shops) for better prices/offers.
On a different note you can actually find affordable pieces at IKEA, but you'll probably need to go all the way there to find it.

Thanks both for the tips, I'll look around.

Hello EmAnzi3,
I believe that most of the apartments for rent would be already furnished which could save you a lot of hassle, however I personally prefer to furnish my own place with my own taste and style which for me is a piece of cake being an Interior Designer who knows Which, Where and For how much :) Well I can't deny that I had always admired Ikea style of modern do it yourself furniture and had been always a fan and a regular customer either in Egypt or outbound, but unfortunately they lost much of their touch and taste lately compared to the good old days, so if you can't find in Ikea Egypt the right item to pick for yourself considering taste and price, then don't worry there are many furniture stores where you will definitely find what suits you the best, and don't ever hesitate to call for a friendly advice, it will be my pleasure then to support and free of charge :)