Looking to buy new motorbike, some considerations and questions...

Hi all,

American expat here living in Bangkok. I'm looking to acquire a new bike soon. I'm currently riding a Yamaha Mio 125cc and want to upgrade to something a bit larger for a few reasons:

1) better traction on the roads, especially during rainy seasons, I've already had two spills in the past on my current bike that could have been much worse than they ended up being, I was very lucky and don't want to risk it again. Larger bikes mean wider tires means greater surface area on the roads

2) Louder engine. Cars and other bikes will be able to hear me coming, making them less likely to merge into me.

3) Acceleration. I can escape from scary situations more easily if need be.

4) Trips outside of Bangkok. I'd love to take a ride to some neighboring provinces when the mood strikes me, and doing so on my aging Mio doesn't seem tenable.

Are there any factors I'm not considering here? I'm not looking for some crazy huge bike, between 200-300cc is my preferred range. This past weekend I rented a Honda CBR300 and rode it around the city a bit. I enjoyed it, but I feel like the constant gear switching on a manual bike would get annoying, and since I'm new to the concept I'm a little paranoid about stalling out on a busy street (though I'm aware I'd probably learn to avoid this quickly enough). Does anyone know of a sport style bike similar to the CBR or Kawasaki Ninja that's automatic and could be realistically acquired around here? And/or any experience or insight more seasoned riders could give me?

cheers!

I would go for a Yamaha Aerox 155. Great bike, wide tyres, good acceleration. Good amount of room under the seat. I really think that it doesn't matter how loud your bike is everyone is still going to merge into you, this is Bangkok traffic and there are too many cars on the road.

Another good bike you could look at is the Yamaha N-max 155, same engine as the Aerox just a different seating position.

If you wanted a bit more power for a bit more money, you could look at the Yamaha X-max. They're much bigger and wider, with a 300cc engine I believe.

With the amount of traffic on the roads, I think you'll find a geared bike extremely annoying, I know I would!

I hope this helps and gives you a little bit more direction! Good luck and ride safe!

Thanks man, this is perfect I'll look into them. Much appreciated

You're welcome!

As a biker, ( but not one of these 1 % brainers), I need that feeling of switching gears, especially when you're already doing 140 km/h and you've got another one....

You're right, acceleration can be very helpful to escape from an accident that would happen with less power.

But you should also consider putting some extra loud horns on your bike, which can be life-saving day by day.

I've got two very loud ones that run over a relay because they draw around 25 Amps out.

If I were you, I'd go for a bike with ABS, many accidents in rain only happen because the front brake is being used a bit too much and the tire slips away. Murphy's laws...

Take somebody with you who's a better driver than you to a place and practice how your brakes actually work. On dry and on wet roads.

My artificial knee joint happened after I found out that I could pump up my front fork of my former Yamaha Virago750 and there's no more diving in before two big brake discs did their job.

I was so used that the fork dived in first, then the brake started working. It dropped me off and the 250 kg fell concentrated by a part of my "crash bar" underneath my right knee and broke it four times.

Useless to say that a leg that's pointing to a different direction is the beginning of an absolute nightmare.

I'm not so familiar with smaller bikes, but our little Yamaha 110 cc does 110 km/h and is easy to handle. But I do prefer my 1100 Virago and enjoy the power that never seems to end.

I do not like the scooters with more plastic than anything else.

Wish all of you a safe riding in the land of not always smiles.

OP - I am in the same situation as you are in that I am looking for a machine with decent power that can perform dual duty as both a commuter and tourer. My last machine is a Yamaha Venture 1100cc touring rig. I have a preference for clicking gears. I have the additional issue of a larger body frame (184.5 cm, 110 kg; 6'1" 260lbs). If speed is not paramount to you I suggest a Honda Phantom, Kawasaki Boss. My personal choice is the Honda CBR 250R. If you are considering this option I would suggest a CBR 300R or CB 300F. As far as scooters go I tend to lean toward the SYM GTS300i, or Honda Silver Wing which has some serious displacement as far as scooters go. I also have an affinity for the Honda Clubman 250, 400; or Yamaha sr400. Above all else make sure your choice has a green book!!!

Suggest checking out Facebook, Kaidee.com , Bahtsold.com , and (new for me) kaimocyc.com . These are my go to sites.