Hiring a driver in bangkok to go to Khao Yai. . .

Hi,
I want to make a trip to Khao Yai National Park for the weekend but I don't fancy getting any buses as it can take about 5 hours from Bangkok apparently on public buses.  In the car should take maybe 2 hours I reckon from bangkok.

I was wondering would a normal taxi take us?  has anyone tried this before?  Or should I book a driver?  How would I go about doing this, any advice would be great.  There is only 3 of us going so a mini bus would be way too big.

please advise me

Hi Olipage,

There are some taxi drivers that do the service you want and cost about 1,500 - 1,600 and this is one of them [Moderated: Unable to verify website content]. Apart from this you may want to call and ask taxi service companies such as 1681, 1661.

If you have Thai drivers license or international license why not rent a car.

Hi,

Its best to book a taxi via taxi booking company like dial 1681

As I am here for 15 years, I have a regular taxi driver and he became a friend as well as like my personal driver.

I used him as and when I need such as going to few places in Bangkok or take me outside Bangkok.

Khao Yai is a very nice place and you can also visit the vineyard there. Enjoy the local wine, grapes and grapes pastry too.

@jcshine, may I know how much did you spend for the taxi? I'm interested to go to the place anytime on weekdays but I don't have enough info yet and so far, I'm all alone. Hahaha! Thanks ahead.

Teeratea V, where do you want to go?  I used to call 1681 for booking of taxi until I got to know a trust worthy taxi driver, thus I used his service whenever I need it.  I let the meter run when I got into his cab and go to do my errands or work.  I just relax and sleep in his cab until I reached the destination.

Oh, I figured. Thank you very much this is helpful, jcshine. I'm considering more options and will decide later which is the most convenient for me. You have a nice evening. :)

hi teetatea

I'm also new here. Maybe if you have a plan route, you could invite 2 or 3 others to go along?

A taxi wouldn't want to do it because he either has to wait for hours or come all the way back with no fair.

Me and my mates go through a company called Thai to Drive Bangkok. I reckon you'd be paying close to 3000 Baht - probably a bit less and they'd provide you with a Camry and driver. Benefit is you have the luxury of tinted windows, stereo, a clean car and someone reliable.
The guy who runs the joint speaks perfect English - [email protected].

It's best to find someone YOU trust - don't just jump in any taxi.

Olipage,

I'm Thai national.

IMO, you might have at least two main options: 1) Renting a car (with or without a driver) from a well-known company (usually based in Bangkok); 2) Taxi service (withOUT meter running; i.e. fees subject to negotiation – please be nice and FAIR to your Thai driver; most of the taxi drivers are somewhat operating at poverty level or so).

Either way, your driver is LIKELY to be unable to converse well in English. That said, you three should not have any significant problems enjoying yourself in this beautiful country of Thailand.

Have a nice trip.

MIKE THE TRANSLATOR

Hi Mike the Translator,

Your suggestion is good like renting a car with or without a driver subject to one who knows the road to the destination and cost of renting a car with driver.

If one use the taxi service by calling the taxi company and if anything happens, one can contact the taxi company to lodge any complaint.  They have records of the taxi driver and car.

I would not suggest to go with a taxi driver without a meter and just negotiate. If you get an honest taxi driver then its good but if not then you may have to pay more than what you agreed as they can give all kinds of excuses later on.

Have you taken taxi at 4 or 5 star hotels before? Do you know what kind of excuses that they give when they want more money after price is agreed?  Have you experienced taxi drivers taking you to certain shops because they get 50 baht for every person entering the shop?  Have you get into a taxi and after 1 km, they asked you to get down and said they do not wish to go as they afraid of traffic jam?  Have you seen taxi meter being covered by a cloth and the meter is running and when you get into the taxi,the taxi driver do not reset the meter to 32 baht (This happen in the airport even there is a 50 baht surcharge?  Why one need to ask the taxi driver if they go to the place before getting into a taxi (Thais have to ask do that too) as some taxi drivers will not go (mai pai).  Do you know taxis parked at hotels, Tesco Lotus and some places have to pay a service charge to someone and these taxi drivers can be selective with passengers and refuse to go to some places even by meter (especially with foreigners)?

I can give you much more examples and experiences with taxi drivers and tuk tuk drivers.

Personally I believe it best to be very careful in foreign land and best is to use the taxi company because one can go back to the taxi company to complain if there is something happen.  One can check with car rental or ask friends.

Personally I have a list of reliable taxi drivers even female taxi drivers whom I used them whenever I have overseas friends visiting me. They are very nice taxi drivers and they  sure get tips because they are sincere and nice.

Sorry I have to disagree with you that the drivers are poor. I know many taxi drivers who can buy their own taxis and brand new cars.  They can do because they are honest and have some customers using their service always.  They are paid well by their regular customers.  Those who are poor need to improve themselves so as to be better and customers trust them.

Just for your info, I have 3 motor bike taxi riders doing work for me like buy food for me as I live in a housing estate without any shops, 7 - 11 convenience store etc.  They even can go to pay my electric and water bills or doing work for me.  They make good money as they are honest and sincere.  Other people used them too.

So its not about being poor but how they do better for themselves.

@Jacson

Great idea!

I came across some package tours and was amazed that indeed Khao Yai is such a big place (yeah, by it's name "Yai" lol). There are vineyards, waterfalls, cave etc. and these tours have various offers but even a day tour alone is a bit pricey. The rates are discounted though when booked in groups. If many wish to get a package tour, it should be conveniet and at least less. Why not?

jcshine wrote:

Hi Mike the Translator,

Your suggestion is good like renting a car with or without a driver subject to one who knows the road to the destination and cost of renting a car with driver.

If one use the taxi service by calling the taxi company and if anything happens, one can contact the taxi company to lodge any complaint.  They have records of the taxi driver and car.

I would not suggest to go with a taxi driver without a meter and just negotiate. If you get an honest taxi driver then its good but if not then you may have to pay more than what you agreed as they can give all kinds of excuses later on.

Have you taken taxi at 4 or 5 star hotels before? Do you know what kind of excuses that they give when they want more money after price is agreed?  Have you experienced taxi drivers taking you to certain shops because they get 50 baht for every person entering the shop?  Have you get into a taxi and after 1 km, they asked you to get down and said they do not wish to go as they afraid of traffic jam?  Have you seen taxi meter being covered by a cloth and the meter is running and when you get into the taxi,the taxi driver do not reset the meter to 32 baht (This happen in the airport even there is a 50 baht surcharge?  Why one need to ask the taxi driver if they go to the place before getting into a taxi (Thais have to ask do that too) as some taxi drivers will not go (mai pai).  Do you know taxis parked at hotels, Tesco Lotus and some places have to pay a service charge to someone and these taxi drivers can be selective with passengers and refuse to go to some places even by meter (especially with foreigners)?

I can give you much more examples and experiences with taxi drivers and tuk tuk drivers.

Personally I believe it best to be very careful in foreign land and best is to use the taxi company because one can go back to the taxi company to complain if there is something happen.  One can check with car rental or ask friends.

Personally I have a list of reliable taxi drivers even female taxi drivers whom I used them whenever I have overseas friends visiting me. They are very nice taxi drivers and they  sure get tips because they are sincere and nice.

Sorry I have to disagree with you that the drivers are poor. I know many taxi drivers who can buy their own taxis and brand new cars.  They can do because they are honest and have some customers using their service always.  They are paid well by their regular customers.  Those who are poor need to improve themselves so as to be better and customers trust them.

Just for your info, I have 3 motor bike taxi riders doing work for me like buy food for me as I live in a housing estate without any shops, 7 - 11 convenience store etc.  They even can go to pay my electric and water bills or doing work for me.  They make good money as they are honest and sincere.  Other people used them too.

So its not about being poor but how they do better for themselves.

Taxi drivers around the foreigner areas can make 1500 Baht off one trip - the mafia pays around 200 Baht per person to be dropped off at certain night clubs + a 'negotiated fair' rather than meter fare. But this is the minority of course. However if you do use a taxi I would avoid using one that hangs on Khao San rd etc and although translator has a valid point he isn't a tourist and it's tourists that tend to get ripped off here.

hi,ozinbkk:
i am new in here.would u mind to tell me  ur reliable taxi drivers especially female taxi drivers'contact?
ps:m interest in traveling to Khao Yai.
Thank a lot.:)

Hello kakablue.

To note that this thread is dated 2011! ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

[Moderated: no free ad pls]