Foreigner driving in Bangkok?

As an expat who driving in Bangkok,
How is your life on the Bangkok road?
Are you okay with the different side of the road? and also Thai driving culture? Any driving experiences you could share?

No problem adjusting to driving left side of road.

You have to be careful entering intersections because the locals like to run red lights.

I think you also need to adjust your driving habits to local style in certain situations to keep traffic moving.  A good example is at 4-way intersection making a right hand turn.

Driving in Bangkok for last 15 years or so, no major problems yet.

Just be careful at the beginning. You will get used to it. Roads are pretty busy.

Always check your mirrors AND blind spots for motorbikes before moving off.

If your not paying strict attention,you'll get run over or run over someone.You would best practice in A smaller place for awhile and then work your way up.

yah very necessary for that.

No worries! Just do not be a shy driver. Driving in BKK requests to be a bit aggressive and to be very careful with the motorbike!!

I took about two years until I was confident to drive in Bangkok. My main problem was to find the balance between «prudence» and « aggressivity», especially when changing lanes or entering a street.

The progress in car navigation also helps a lot, when driving to an unknown location.

Aggressive is the wrong word / attitude . "Make progress with confidence" is a better phrase.

Its like when people say they have/had "right of way."   There is no such such thing, however road markings, layout or signals sometimes give you priority.

Q. What does a green traffic light mean?
A. Go IF ITS SAFE.

How do you know if its safe? LOOK across. How many video clips do see on the internet of drivers being T boned ..... usually in America? Although the driver jumping the red light was in the wrong, the other driver could have avoided being hit had he checked it was safe before proceeding.

(retired Driving Instructor & RoSPA Advanced Gold holder)

Lancashire Lad wrote:

Aggressive is the wrong word / attitude . "Make progress with confidence" is a better phrase.

Its like when people say they have/had "right of way."   There is no such such thing, however road markings, layout or signals sometimes give you priority.

Q. What does a green traffic light mean?
A. Go IF ITS SAFE.

How do you know if its safe? LOOK across. How many video clips do see on the internet of drivers being T boned ..... usually in America? Although the driver jumping the red light was in the wrong, the other driver could have avoided being hit had he checked it was safe before proceeding.

(retired Driving Instructor & RoSPA Advanced Gold holder)

I totally agree. I am not native English speaking and didn't found the appropriate expression...

Here's how it works in Thailand.Big trucks and buses have the right of way.After that it's SUV's and
Pick up trucks.Then big cars then small cars.Next are motorcycles,then mopeds.If you walk you need to watch yourself.

How do you get a Thai drivers licience? I have heard many different stories. I currently have an Australian drivers licience. Told by police ok but depends who stops you.

I have heard that some places in Thailand will allow you to get it with just A tourist visa.But most you probably need A stronger visa.You need An address,maybe A paper from the doctor.If you have A license in another country then you have to watch some films,then take A written test on A computer.It's A 1 year license.After A year you come back for A 5 year license.

Thanks for the info. Where do you go to take the test. I have a one year visa and am converting to a marriage visa next month.

Thrilled I'm fairly sure the temporary licence is now 2 years instead of one., but you don't have to wait the full 2 years to convert to a 5 year.

Lindsay Its the DLT office you want. Department of Land Transport. Without knowing where in Thailand you are, we can't guide you to the nearest one, but I'm sure if you Google "Thailand (your location) DLT" it will find something.

Edit: just noticed you might be in Lum Lukka (I'd never heard of it before), if so you aren't far from the head office at Chatuchak which covers the Don Muang area.

DLT Head Office
1032 Phaholyothin Road, Lardyao, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900
Tel: 02 272 5322 or 02 272 5493

Thanks mate will look it up. Finally got paperwork to start process.

It could be 2 years now.Back n January 2013 when my better half got her license it was 1 year.Things change.And for the place to get your license I believe every city in Thailand has places.

One interesting part of driving in Bangkok was how long it took for driving and traffic patterns to seem normal here.  The first time I tried it was a shock, and I could make it work from that time on, but it really took a year or two for it to seem normal.

It's hard to summarize the differences, which don't just relate to more motorcycles, or different traffic patterns, informal conventions versus actual traffic laws, etc.  People rely more on doing what others expect them to do and watching out, and less on traffic flow conventions and laws making it safe.  It all works but it's harder.  It's best to be cautious and take it a bit slow until it becomes more familiar, and once it does you can buzz around and do as you please, within the confines of a few conventions, just as tuk-tuk drivers do.

Thanks to all for the advice. Went outside bangkok to Naon Nayok or clode to name. Was too easy.

One thing others haven't mentioned is that the road death mortality rates in Thailand are among the highest in the world.  In Bangkok it could be easy to lose sight of that, because in general people aren't travelling fast enough to kill each other, although someone on a motorcycle is still at higher risk, and a bus could crush a car even at relatively low speeds. 

I personally would avoid driving at night in rural areas.  It might sound like I'm implying more than I really am, for example that statistics inform that's a higher risk, or that there is one or more related causes I'd be trying to avoid, but I'm really just saying I personally would avoid that.