5 Countries - How do I carry that much currency safely?

My husband and I will be traveling in Central and South America for 4 months beginning on July 22nd. We are going to Panama, Nicaragua, Uruguay, Argentina and Chile.

Any suggestions for the safest way to carry cash and get cash from place to place? Should I get large amounts of American Express Travelors checks? Use my bank card only at secure places? Hope they take American Dollars? What have others done about traveling for such a long period?

Your suggestions, comments, thoughts would be most helpful.

Thank you for any insight you can give.

Florence

Florence

I think that the answer depends on how much is your budget.
From the banking point of view, Panama City and Buenos Aires are safer locations than the others but I would not recommend using your bank card to local ATMs. Sometimes fees and clonation risk are high potential. I would not recommend traveller's cheques too.

I think cash is always the best option. If you have already purchased your major trip tickets & hotels, then all your costs are food-life related. Keep always all money in one bag, book hotels with safe and have a low profile not to attract people's interest.

I would rather focus on learning some Spanish word to get closer to people.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for responding.  My husband is fluent in Spanish and I'll limp along okay I hope.  I'm thinking that we can eat dinner and lunch for $25 a day for 2 so I shouldn't need more than $100 at a time.  I might have someone here in the US only supply the account with $250 at a time, say every two weeks, since I do plan to have all hostels and hotels booked.  I've already taken care of our plane tickets (all 10 of them) and now our trip to Panama is all set.  I'm working on Nicaragua next.  Do you have any recommendations for hostels in any of the countries listed?  Thanks again.

Not really, sorry not to be able to help you on this, I haven't travelled to those countries. My considerations were only general. I know the Hispanic attitude and they are usually very friendly to those who handle their language. I think in some areas out the main cities you can eat with less money but again I wouldn't use the bank card to get cash.

Why is nobody recommending debit cards or credit cards-Visa/MC. Should be no problem.