Considering moving to Panama with 2 small children

Hello, my name is Jess. My husband is currently medically retiring from the US army and we are very strongly considering moving to Panama in about 6-9 months. We have two small children (would be around 1.5 & 3 at that time). We are also looking into Nicaragua but haven't done much research into Nicaragua yet.

We have lived all over, in different cultures. We are not very interested in living in an expat community, although having some other expats nearby wouldn't be bad. We are hoping to do a month-month rental while we explore Panama and until we settle somewhere more permanently into a long-term rental for ideally $5-900 a month. We're more interested in an "authentic" Panama experience, outside the city- somewhere near the water would be nice, but not a requirement. We have been told to look into Boquete, although I hear it's not as warm and more expensive, as well as the El Valle and Bocas De Toro area. Are there other areas that you would recommend we look into, safe for small children?

Our tentative plan is to fly into Panama City with a return flight set for 3 months later, but to carry over all the fresh documents needed to apply for a Tourist Pensioner Visa. Do any of you have any experience with how long those generally take to be approved? Will they renew our limited 90 day traveler's visa if it isn't approved in time? My husband will meet the $2800 pension requirement for the Pensioner visa (for him and 3 dependants), is there anything else they particularly look for? I realize our plan probably sounds a little crazy- but we are up for an adventure, and we tend to do things untraditionally.

Also, would it be a possibility for me to apply for a work permit eventually, even though my husband is on the Tourist Pensioner Visa, or not? I am college educated- I majored in English and political science, and I speak spanish but could use a refresher course haha. I'm not too particular about the type of work I could be doing, it would mainly just be to help pass the time and to bring in some extra money.

I'm just a little concerned about whether or not we will actually be able to live comfortably on a set $3-4k income, if neither of us are allowed to work in Panama.

Any and all advice is welcome! :D Thanks.

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the forum. I can't really help on a lot of your questions as, well, I have never been to Panama (at least not yet) but I did start a somewhat similar thread a little while. I, too, have a couple young children and would like to live somewhere "authentic" near the water and without breaking the bank.

I'm sure some others can chime in with some more insight but you might find some of the replies instructive - https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=198607

Hi, thanks, I will definitely read that thread! I'll be interested to see what you end up deciding- especially since you have young children as well.

Hey Jess,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Hopefully you'll read this. Let me start by saying that your family will easily live on $3-$4k per month, without having to work, especially if you live outside of the city. From what you've described, I think I'd recommend living in Pedasi, based on your desire to be near the beach. I have 4 young kids and I could never live in Pedasi because my kids are all old enough to require schooling, and Pedasi has yet to build an international school (although I've heard there's one on the way).

Pedasi has expats, but from all over the place, plus plenty of Panamanians. With several beaches surrounding it and Isla Iguana a short boat-ride away, it's a really cool place. If you're planning a visit first, which you definitely should, make sure you take the time to head out to Pedasi. Coronado and Boquete would probably have too many expats, from what you've described. Las Tablas might be too local, but it's a good, affordable option, if you'd like to be immersed in the real Panama lifestyle.

Chris

I just saw this and assumed that you would have lots of feedback.  Since no, I'll give you my 2 cents worth.  You could live VERY well on that amount outside PC. Both David and Pedasi are near the beach but if you have school-age children you would probably find David has better options for that.
We live in Boquete, in the mountains, and two of us could live well on $2k mo.  Coming to PC and then looking around is a great idea.  Before you buy, rent.  Rent is extremely affordable.  I've chronicled by move here at tombseekers.wordpress.com  My friend, Kris, lives in David and can give you a lot of good info.  blog.thepanamaadventure.com