Support for customers in NL

About 3 years ago I purchased a 60" LG TV from MediaMarkt. Now the TV has this issue where I constantly see AV popup messages (very annoying). Apparently this is a well known issue that's caused by a faulty board. I called the technical support and now they want to charge me 280 € for fixing it because it's outside warranty. This is infuriating me! How in the world I'm responsible for an issue caused by a faulty board? Isn't there an organism in the Netherlands that takes care of protecting customers for this sort of issues? Do you have any suggestions on what to do in this case?

I called the technical support and now they want to charge me 280 € for fixing it because it's outside warranty.

It's three years old and has no warranty - of course you have to pay.

Hi,

To answer your question, yes the Consumentenbond; they have a website, this link will take you there; it's in Dutch though.  However, as Fred says, it's out of warranty, they'll repair it, but any costs will be down to you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I would like to share what happened in case anyone else has a similar problem. It turns out that for TVs over 1000€, the expected lifetime is 6 years. This means that if the product doesn't perform as expected during this time, and you have to repair it for some reason, you're entitled to some compensation from the vendor. This is information I obtained from MediaMarkt.

So I arranged the repair directly through LG, and they charged 280.82€ to change the main board (this solved my issue). With the bill I went to MediaMarkt and I got back 128.66€.

Basically, the amount you get back is prorated according to how much you have used the TV within the lifetime (6 years in this case). For example, if you used a TV for 4 years and your repair costs 100€, you can get back 1/3 of the repair cost (since you have used the TV for 2/3 of the lifetime).