Living in Netherlands, working for a UK company

How would it work for a UK citizen to live in the Netherlands and to work - remotely - for a UK company?  Tax issues?  Employment law issues?

anitatt wrote:

How would it work for a UK citizen to live in the Netherlands and to work - remotely - for a UK company?  Tax issues?  Employment law issues?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

With great difficulty, for both the reasons you stated.  Unless you're self-employed, you can only work in the Netherlands with a Dutch employment contract, your UK company can't do that.  There are ways around it, where your UK company employs a Dutch Agency to take you on, but these are expensive.

It's been asked before here, but nobody has ever come back and said they achieved it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

It is simply not possible.

Thank you Cynic.  I'd really love to know if there is anyone who has managed to do this successfully and how they did it.  In the current crisis many people are finding they can work from home very efficiently and perhaps are also thinking of expanding their horizons by working from a different country!

You can expand your horizon by trying  to get a job in this country, that will be very hard because for most jobs you need to speak Dutch and nowadays most companies aren't eager to employ British citizens due to Brexit.

You must contribute to the Dutch system to live here, otherwise it is simply not possible to live here.

Hi There, I just want a follow up from the previous question. I am an Irish citizen who will be moving to the Netherlands in October with my partner (Who is a French national). We both will be contracted with a UK based company and will be working under a freelance affiliation. Just wanted advice regarding taxes and what the best way to go about this. We have lived in the country in the past (I was studying and she on internship) but this will be the first time we will be working full time. Any advice will be appreciated

You both have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.

My advice.  Move to the Netherlands, register with the Gemeente; when you get your DigiD, you can declare your job to the Belastingdienst who will then tax you just as if you had a job in the Netherlands.  I trust you have done the research on how much you're going to be taxed - there are online tax calculators - Google will help you find them.

You need to resolve your Health Insurance; this link may help you.  You should be aware that although you are working for a UK company, you will have no recourse, or fall back on the NHS.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi there

again a question similar to above

I own a company in the UK my husband is a Dutch national and works in the Netherlands partime

we do not have a spouse visa and we travel between each country twice a month

our intention is for my husband to work for my company remotely. 

frstly Is this is possible ?

Second how do we arrange wages ? So we are not paying currency conversion costs which are  extortionate

and finally is it only Dutch taxes we need to pay or would we also be penalised in the Uk

regatds

Katie and mark

Hi there
again a question similar to above

I own a company in the UK my husband is a Dutch national and works in the Netherlands partime

we do not have a spouse visa and we travel between each country twice a month

our intention is for my husband to work for my company remotely.

frstly Is this is possible ?
Second how do we arrange wages ? So we are not paying currency conversion costs which are extortionate
and finally is it only Dutch taxes we need to pay or would we also be penalised in the Uk

regatds
Katie and mark
-@SYb Limited

Where you are assessed for personal taxes is mainly dependent on where you are deemed resident; for example, if you live in either the UK or the Netherlands for more than 183 days in a tax year you will be deemed as being tax resident in that country and liable for that countries taxes.  A couple of points on that:

• There is a tax treaty in place between NL/UK, you can read it here (link).
  • Tax assessments are generally on your worldwide income unless the treaty says otherwise.  Dutch social taxes (27.65%) are not included in any treaty and you will pay them on your worldwide income if you are deemed resident in the Netherlands.
  • The UK tax year runs from Apr > Mar while in the Netherlands, it runs from Jan > Dec.  My personal experience is that you can come unstuck and end up liable for paying taxes twice on the same income.

Assuming you are not an EU passport holder, you will need a residency permit if you are to live and work in the Netherlands.

Where to pay your salary - you need to consider Health Insurance, it's a legal requirement in the Netherlands and employers also have to make a payment.  If you are resident in the Netherlands, you may no longer fall back on the NHS for any treatment.

Your tax affairs are complicated enough for me to recommend you speak to a Dutch tax advisor; at the top of this page is a link to our services section and there is a link there to take this further.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hello,

I am a freelancer currently in the Netherlands with a registered sole trader (ZZP) I am originally from the UK but I moved here so I have a 5 year work visa. My question is can I carry out freelance jobs for UK companies? What are the tax repercussions of this in both the Netherlands and the UK?

Hello,
I am a freelancer currently in the Netherlands with a registered sole trader (ZZP) I am originally from the UK but I moved here so I have a 5 year work visa. My question is can I carry out freelance jobs for UK companies? What are the tax repercussions of this in both the Netherlands and the UK?
-@harrygwarman

I'm not a tax expert, so what I say is at best an opinion.  That said, first of all, a fact, is that there is a tax treaty in place between UK/NL (link); these things generally prevent double taxation on income tax and in addition cover things like pensions and business taxes.

If you are wholly resident in the Netherlands, you will be assessed for both income and social taxes by the Belastingdienst on your worldwide income.

I assume you are going (or already have) your own company in the Netherlands and will have the appropriate invoicing/contracts to show the Belastingdienst when you declare this additional income.  If you have any tax assets remaining in the UK then HMRC may well be interested in any additional UK-sourced income; my advice would be to speak to a Dutch tax expert and see what they think.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hello, I am EU Citizen (non dutch) owning LTD company in UK. Can I work in the Netherlands for dutch company through my LTD company? LTD is  equivalent of dutch ZZP. According to british info I can offer my service anywhere in EU and I use to work like that in Italy. The question is if I can do the same in the Netherlands?

@Przprec That's a good question. Could someone answer that

Hello, I am EU Citizen (non dutch) owning LTD company in UK. Can I work in the Netherlands for dutch company through my LTD company? LTD is equivalent of dutch ZZP. According to british info I can offer my service anywhere in EU and I use to work like that in Italy. The question is if I can do the same in the Netherlands?
-@Przprec

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU; as for your company, try speaking to the Kamer van Koophandel, they have a website which apart from a lot of useful advice, has their contact details; this link will take you straight to it.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi,

I have a question. I am dual citizen of both Britain and Canada, been living in Canada with my Dutch wife for 10 years, and are now trying to move to the Netherlands with our two children, both Canadian, to be closer to her family. I will be looking to secure an MVV for extended stay and while there would like to apply for a visa to work as a self employed person and continue to work for the British branch of the company I currently work at in Canada. The pay is almost double to that I have found in the Netherlands.

I have had some full time job offers from Dutch companies, but the pay is not going to be enough to support the family, so freelance is the best option for me. I would be willing to work freelance for Dutch companies too, but I can't seem to find a way of securing a single work permit for a self employed person without having a job lined up in the Netherlands before. It's a proper catch 22 situation.

Thanks you in advance and I look forward to your response.

You should look into how you get the Dutch citizenship through your wife, maybe this will be much easier for you.

@Primadonna Thanks, We are looking to get dutch passports for our children through my wife and then entering the country and applying for my residency through the Chavez clause. https://ind.nl/en/residence-permits/fam … ild-chavez If this works then all my issues should be solved... We will see.

Iam maqsood Hussain Lahore Pakistan iam agree in visa application Canada please recoveste me Visa provaid

Hello everyone!

I am currently employed in the UK but I work fully remote. I want to relocate to the Netherlands early 2024. Can I keep my job in the UK and work from NL? I am a EU citizen.

Also worth to mentioning, my company has an office in NL so I can ask for a transfer, however it would be easier for me to find a property first, relocate and then switch to a Dutch contract.

In case my employer, for whatever reason, can't make me a Dutch contract, can I still live there, get residence, bank account and so on with my UK employment contract?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!
I am currently employed in the UK but I work fully remote. I want to relocate to the Netherlands early 2024. Can I keep my job in the UK and work from NL? I am a EU citizen.

Also worth to mentioning, my company has an office in NL so I can ask for a transfer, however it would be easier for me to find a property first, relocate and then switch to a Dutch contract.

In case my employer, for whatever reason, can't make me a Dutch contract, can I still live there, get residence, bank account and so on with my UK employment contract?

Thanks in advance!
-@peppelist

As an EU citizen, you can live and work anywhere in the EU.  That said, the UK is not in the EU, so it will be much easier for you to get your contract transferred to your Dutch entity, then things like health insurance and payroll taxes can be done at source.

There is nothing stopping you from moving and living in the Netherlands, if you don't get a Dutch contract, the tricky bit will be sorting your own personal administration.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic thank you so much. My very big concern is being able to rent a property with a UK employment contract, but it looks as though, as long as I can demonstrate I'm making enough income (payslips, bank statements) I should be good to go.

Once I secure the property and move to NL everything will come on a nock-on effect, I guess.

Hi again.

The Expatica website has a section on the hows and wheres in regards to renting a property in the Netherlands; this link will take you to it.

In general (and what my daughter did when she moved back recently), one way to get around this issue is to rent an Airbnb for a couple of months so as to give you some time to find something suitable for yourself.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team.

@Cynic I have the same situation and am wondering about paying taxes … What countries should i file taxes in if i'm a UK freelancer but an EU citizen living in the netherlands?

@Cynic Do you know what are the tax implications would be for an employer and the employee if a UK company hires an EU passport holder living in the Netherlands?  Or where I could find out?

@Cynic Could you assist with the most cost effective way (for employer and employee) for a UK company to hire a EU passport holder living in the Netherlands? 

@LeoBR and @philippa84.

First off - taxes are a complicated subject and I'm not a tax advisor, what I say here is a result of what others have reported and my own personal experience. Leo - your forum info tells me you're a German national, while Philippa, yours says you're Dutch. So the first thing is that your nationality has no bearing on where you pay your taxes. Next, if you are going to work for more than one company, you should consider setting up your own company and then working for them as a contractor. If you're just going to work for one, the Belastingdienst will not accept you as a freelancer, you will be regarded just like any other Dutch resident, the difficult part is how and when you pay your taxes.

Where you are assessed for taxes very much depends on where you are deemed as being a resident for more than 183 days in any tax year. When dealing with the UK, the UK tax year runs from Apr to Mar, while in most other countries they run from Jan to Dec. You are deemed as being a resident from the first day you live there, not 183 days later. There are sometimes tax agreements between where you are resident and the country where you are working, this applies mostly to people like Civil Servants working for their Government in another country; they are quite easy to find by using Google; the ones between the UK and NL Government can be found by following this link.

So, assuming you both are residents in the Netherlands, you will be assessed by the Dutch Government (Belastingdienst) on your total worldwide income. There are 2 ways of doing this either you pay your taxes direct to the Belastingdienst, or your company employs you on a Dutch work contract and you become a defacto Dutch worker with a Dutch work contract; the latter can be done either by employing you via the Dutch department of your company (if you have one), or (and if not), then there are some agencies in the Netherlands that offer these services; this link will take you to one such company that I found with a quick Google search, there are others, it will be up to your employer how they do this, one warning, these services are not cheap and when I considered it for myself many years ago, I could not afford it, so I just got a humongous tax bill at the end of the year.

Other things to consider. Residents of the Netherlands have a different tax structure to other countries, they have what I describe as normal income taxes, then additional taxes such as pensions, social payments and health insurance, these are all compulsory, and there are no exemptions for working as a freelancer, then in addition, there are employer contributions to the Dutch national health system; you will be assessed for all these taxes.

The Dutch Government (Belastingdienst) website has a guide that may help you; this link will take you straight to it.  I recall there used to be an advert on Dutch TV from the Belastingdienst along the lines of "We all hate paying taxes, we make it easy"; when you start to experience it, you realise that it's probably said with a great deal of cynicism.

My advice is to consult a tax advisor and make sure you claim all the allowances you may be entitled to.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi all, Looking for a little bit of advice.

I am a Dutch national , living and working in the UK.

I am currently 6 months pregnant and plan to move back to the Netherlands prior to giving birth.

I was hoping to continue to work remotely for a UK company for 6 weeks prior to taking maternity leave. I will continue to receive maternity pay for several months after I stop working but will likely leave my job once I am up to going back to work

It seems a little complicated, how does the 6 weeks or work and maternity pay affect my residency for tax purposes? If my tax residency remains in the UK is it possible to register as a resident with the Gemeente and thereby purchase dutch health insurance to cover maternity care without complicating the tax arrangements?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi all, Looking for a little bit of advice.
I am a Dutch national , living and working in the UK.

I am currently 6 months pregnant and plan to move back to the Netherlands prior to giving birth.

I was hoping to continue to work remotely for a UK company for 6 weeks prior to taking maternity leave. I will continue to receive maternity pay for several months after I stop working but will likely leave my job once I am up to going back to work

It seems a little complicated, how does the 6 weeks or work and maternity pay affect my residency for tax purposes? If my tax residency remains in the UK is it possible to register as a resident with the Gemeente and thereby purchase dutch health insurance to cover maternity care without complicating the tax arrangements?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
-@jacob murray

First off, congratulations on the forthcoming birth of your baby.

I'm not a tax expert, but my experience is that you are assessed for taxes based on where you are deemed resident, so you will be resident in the Netherlands from the day you go back and the Belastingdienst will be aware of you from the day you register at the Gemeente.  There is no system for your UK employer to pay your Dutch taxes and or your healthcare contributions in the Netherlands, so it will be down to you to declare your worldwide income to the Belastingdienst.  My advice for this bit would be to speak to a Dutch tax adviser, there are plenty of them and we used the same guy who had advised my wife's family; it's mainly to make sure that you claim any tax breaks you are entitled to; there will be some advertising their services in the Services link at the top of this page.  I'm reasonably certain that your UK Maternity pay will be assessed by the Belastingdienst, whereas in the UK it would probably be tax-free when your allowances are taken into account, perhaps speak to your UK employer's HR department, and probably adds emphasis to the importance of speaking to a Dutch tax advisor.

With regards to the healthcare aspects, this link will take you straight to the NHS website which has a section on giving birth abroad.  With regards to healthcare insurance, my advice is to speak to the Zorgverzekeringlijn; this link will take you straight to it, they have a contact section with phone numbers you can use to speak to them.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hey, I am looking for some advice for my partner.

We both currently live in the UK and are planning on moving to the Netherlands soon, Amsterdam.

I am moving to my current companies Amsterdam branch, and they have sorted out my working visa so I'm all good.

My partner's situation is a bit different, she is Polish so holds an EU passport so has no problem moving there. She is currently working freelance for a UK company, remotely. She has an employment contract with the company, so she is not technically self employed, and has this contract up until February. She is an assistant editor which apparently means her company don't have to facilitate a move to anywhere in the world despite being remote. She has told them she is planning on coming to Amsterdam with me, but would still have an address in the UK (her mums address). I also believe her company might be a bit difficult if she was to ask to be set up to be paid in euros and through a dutch payroll, as they're only based in the UK.

My work have spoken to the company that do our payroll, and they have said her 3 options are:

1) Set up a payroll herself which could be very expensive

2) Set up payroll with them, pay them 500-700EUR set up fee and then there would be a small fee (around 16EUR) a month that her work would pay

3) Don't register as a citizen in the Netherlands until her contract is up. As she has an EU passport she doesn't have to declare she is in the country until after 4 months. We are planning on moving beginning of November so her contract would be up by the 4 months and then she can look for work there.

The problem with option 2 is that as I have said her company might not want to set this up, even if she pays the upfront fee herself, and also it is quite expensive.

The problem with option 3 is she is worried than she then won't be able to get health care insurance with a BSN and is worried if she gets sick.

I personally think option 3 is the only suitable option and if there is any major health she would be able to come back to the UK. Also she would be able to use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for any emergency treatment.

We are considering speaking to a lawyer but worried that we'll pay money for a meeting just to be told these are the only 3 options. Is there any other options that we could look at?

Really appreciate any help!

Hey, I am looking for some advice for my partner.
We both currently live in the UK and are planning on moving to the Netherlands soon, Amsterdam.

I am moving to my current companies Amsterdam branch, and they have sorted out my working visa so I'm all good.

My partner's situation is a bit different, she is Polish so holds an EU passport so has no problem moving there. She is currently working freelance for a UK company, remotely. She has an employment contract with the company, so she is not technically self employed, and has this contract up until February. She is an assistant editor which apparently means her company don't have to facilitate a move to anywhere in the world despite being remote. She has told them she is planning on coming to Amsterdam with me, but would still have an address in the UK (her mums address). I also believe her company might be a bit difficult if she was to ask to be set up to be paid in euros and through a dutch payroll, as they're only based in the UK.

My work have spoken to the company that do our payroll, and they have said her 3 options are:
1) Set up a payroll herself which could be very expensive
2) Set up payroll with them, pay them 500-700EUR set up fee and then there would be a small fee (around 16EUR) a month that her work would pay
3) Don't register as a citizen in the Netherlands until her contract is up. As she has an EU passport she doesn't have to declare she is in the country until after 4 months. We are planning on moving beginning of November so her contract would be up by the 4 months and then she can look for work there.

The problem with option 2 is that as I have said her company might not want to set this up, even if she pays the upfront fee herself, and also it is quite expensive.
The problem with option 3 is she is worried than she then won't be able to get health care insurance with a BSN and is worried if she gets sick.

I personally think option 3 is the only suitable option and if there is any major health she would be able to come back to the UK. Also she would be able to use the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for any emergency treatment.

We are considering speaking to a lawyer but worried that we'll pay money for a meeting just to be told these are the only 3 options. Is there any other options that we could look at?

Really appreciate any help!

-@PaddyP

I agree with your payroll company's summary, the issue with all these scenarios is the problems you have described, but you've omitted the fact that once your girlfriend moves to Holland, no matter who or where she is working for, she will be deemed to be resident in the Netherlands. which is where she is actually living, to use someone else's address in the UK is fine until you are caught.  For example, if you are a resident of the Netherlands (or anywhere else in the world!), according to today's press, neither of you will be allowed to have a UK bank account.  Also, both of you are not entitled to use the NHS at all; you will require health insurance from the day you arrive (so will need to register and get your BSN and DigiD).  EHIC cards are valid in the applicable countries where you are not a resident, in such circumstances, you have to comply with the resident country's laws.

There is of course another option which centres around you not going until your girlfriend is able to move without all those issues you described - that would be my advice.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic Thanks so much for your reply! So what would classify my partner as living there?

If I was to move there and she was technically visiting me, and being back and forth between Netherlands and UK until her contract is up in February. Could she not wait until then before registering? If she was to visit and then decide as it comes up to 4 months of her being there that she wants to actually live there - could she not just register then?

From what I am understand EU nationals do not need to register if they intend to stay shorter than 4 months, but could a person not decide whilst they're there that they wish to stay for longer?

thank you!

@Cynic Thanks so much for your reply! So what would classify my partner as living there?
If I was to move there and she was technically visiting me, and being back and forth between Netherlands and UK until her contract is up in February. Could she not wait until then before registering? If she was to visit and then decide as it comes up to 4 months of her being there that she wants to actually live there - could she not just register then?

From what I am understand EU nationals do not need to register if they intend to stay shorter than 4 months, but could a person not decide whilst they're there that they wish to stay for longer?

thank you!

-@PaddyP

Hi again.

Some disjointed thoughts.  This is the Option 3 scenario you previously described.  The Dutch have already had issues with people trying what you are hoping to do and have created a system to cope with it; it's called the RNI database.

If she decides to exercise her rights as an EU citizen and stay in the Netherlands for up to 4 months, then she will still be deemed a resident in the Netherlands and has to register with the Gemeente, but on the RNI database (link) - created especially for people in her situation.  She has 5 days from arriving in the Netherlands to make an appointment to register; the actual appointment may take weeks/months to come around (Covid has made a real mess of the Dutch civil service with many of them still working from home).  The only real difference between the RNI and the normal registration database is the name and the lack of a work sponsor, she will still have to provide the same information; the Gemeente will tell you what they want to see when they write to confirm your appointment, but it's generally things like valid passport, original birth certificate (officially translated into either Dutch or English), if married or divorced, original documentation proving this, copy of Dutch tenancy agreement) - there could be more, but it will be listed in your appointment letter.

She will be issued her BSN from this registration, from which she can register with a doctor, get Dutch Health Insurance, open a Dutch bank account, register a car etc.  Her issue will be how she gets the legally required Dutch health insurance because this is normally deducted from the individual salary and the employer also has to pay a contribution; I'd advise her to contact the Zorgverzekeringlijn (link) and speak to them about how she can get the required insurance and if/how she will pay the employers bit.  Until then, she will need to have some kind of temporary health insurance that will cover her until she gets sorted out in the Netherlands.

Once she is resident in the Netherlands, it will by default cancel her UK residency and access to the NHS - you have to be resident in the UK to qualify for both; the UK doesn't have a registration system as such, so there is no need to de-register or tell anybody that she is leaving, she just ceases to be entitled to both.  I'm not sure about her status with regards to a subsequent UK short-term visa as she will already have stayed up to the permitted 6 months in a 12-month period, but maybe the clock resets in such situations, I don't know for certain, you'll need to ask the Home Office about this.  I'm not sure what this will do to her right to work in the UK, I'd recommend she discuss it with her employer.

There are also tax issues she will need to resolve as she will be pretty much in the same situation you have described for yourself.  You will also need to take into account Dutch social taxes.  The Dutch taxman (Belastingdienst) will know from her registration the date she first arrived in the Netherlands, as far as they are concerned, she will be resident from the date she arrives; the Dutch tax year runs from Jan to Dec, so they will be assessing her worldwide income for the whole of the tax year.  There is a tax agreement between UK/NL so she should not be taxed twice on income, but social taxes are outside this tax agreement and can be very expensive - I think I paid 26% when I got caught up in this.  Whatever, speak to a tax adviser, they advertise their services in our Services section.

I have been living in the Netherlands for 23 years. Originally from the UK. About 7 years ago I acquired Dutch nationality, and have both. Since 2000 I have only ever worked for Dutch companies, (no 30% ruling), just a person who moved here. In April this year, after 14 years in my old job I was offered a job by a UK company which I took. Because I still had a UK NI number etc. they are paying me using that, so I am, for the first time in 23 years paying UK taxes. Of course as a Dutch citizen I will have to file NL taxes. Under the double taxation treaty do I need to contact the UK tax office and claim all the tax back, or do I just declare the income and tax I paid to NL and they adjust accordingly? I've received conflicting advice. Any help or services that could help me navigate this would be appreciated. Apologies, I couldn't see the links at the top of the page for services that offer advice.

I have been living in the Netherlands for 23 years. Originally from the UK. About 7 years ago I acquired Dutch nationality, and have both. Since 2000 I have only ever worked for Dutch companies, (no 30% ruling), just a person who moved here. In April this year, after 14 years in my old job I was offered a job by a UK company which I took. Because I still had a UK NI number etc. they are paying me using that, so I am, for the first time in 23 years paying UK taxes. Of course as a Dutch citizen I will have to file NL taxes. Under the double taxation treaty do I need to contact the UK tax office and claim all the tax back, or do I just declare the income and tax I paid to NL and they adjust accordingly? I've received conflicting advice. Any help or services that could help me navigate this would be appreciated. Apologies, I couldn't see the links at the top of the page for services that offer advice.

-@vinnypowell

Regardless of your nationality, where you are assessed for taxes is wholly dependent on where you are regarded as being resident, in you're case you are resident in the Netherlands and regardless of where you work, the Belastingdienst will assess you on your worldwide income just like they always have, these include not only income taxes. but also the Dutch social taxes which are specifically excluded from any tax treaty.  There is a tax treaty in place between UK/NL, you can download a copy from the UK Gov website at this link.  Whether HMRC will refund your UK PAYE charges I don't know, I doubt it, perhaps ask your HR department to ask a "what-if" question on your behalf.

I did what you are doing for 2 years, but I never took into account the Dutch social taxes, on a 60k euro salary, they will charge you just over 10k euro, I think by the time I spoke to a Dutch tax adviser, I ended up paying 13k guilders. 

My advice would be to speak to a Dutch tax advisor and see if things have improved in any way.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Good Afternoon,

I am moving over to Rotterdam with my husband and family next year. My husband is in the British Forces and has accepted a two year draft.

I currently work remotely for a British company, who I am hoping to inform if the move in the next few weeks and would like to continue working for them. I would like as much information as possible so I can answer any questions or areas of concern which they may have. I am Looking for advice on if this will be possible, tax advice and if I require a working peritt with any additional information which maybe useful.

I have attempted to carry out my own research but unfortunately the information has been very limited.

My job mainly entails calling clients and carrying out assessments any advice on the cost of calls and keeping these to a minimum would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah

Lots of assumptions now.  First of all, I should say I'm an ex-UK serviceman who spent 15 years in Germany/Netherlands before I retired.  Now fully retired, some things may have changed since we left; my wife (a Dutch citizen) worked in both Germany and the Netherlands.  I don't think Brexit has changed any of the NATO SOFA, but I could be wrong, so it's worthwhile checking what I say with your husband's unit.

To try and give you a steer, it depends.  I assume your husband's draft is with a NATO organisation.  Such things are normally subject to the requirements of the NATO Status of Forces agreements (SOFA) between the Netherlands and NATO signatories.  These agreements take him outside of the normal tax regimes and he will continue to pay his PAYE and NI as he does now; the same does not apply to you. I assume you currently have a normal UK work contract with PAYE and NI payments deductions taken at source; you really need to speak to your employer as they may well say no, where you live matters in UK employment law and workplace health and safety and your current work contract may be unenforceable. 

Where you are assessed for taxes is generally decided by where you are deemed as being resident, if you live in any one place for more than 183 days, you are deemed as being tax resident in that place; the effective date is the day you move, not 183 days later.  It gets confusing for UK citizens as the UK tax year runs from Apr to Mar, whereas in the Netherlands, it runs from Jan to Dec, whoever assesses you, will be assessing your worldwide income (so not just work, savings and investments as well), Holland has additional social taxes that fall outside of any tax treaty, they are expensive; your husband will be exempt, I'm not sure about you - I'd recommend you speak to a tax advisor, but I can't think of any who will have experience of military families; that said, the Dutch forces have a lot of their servicemen working in Germany; the same rules would apply.

You can't be the first to be in this situation, when we were in Germany, my wife was able to work on the German net with no problems.  My advice is to speak to your husband's new unit and find out who you need to speak to, to regularise your relationship with the Dutch taxman (Belastingdienst).

One last point, your UK pension; while we were overseas, my wife's UK pension contributions were credited to her because 99% of the UK wives did not work; it's worthwhile checking.

As to your specifics.  The cost of business calls is normally a legitimate business expense and you should be able to offset them against your tax.  My wife makes a lot of calls to her friends and family in Holland, since WhatsApp, we haven't paid for any of them, we just use that (Internet) to make calls.  Mobile calls may be a significant cost for business calls as I doubt that a UK mobile operator will permit a personal account to an overseas address; speak to your employer, see what they have to say on the matter.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi,

Similar question to the initial one at the top of this thread but wondering if that is still the advice post-brexit/covid?

I'd be looking to work for a UK company from the Netherlands and move to my boyfriend who is a Dutch national and resident.

Further to the initial question, to get a residency permit, I believe you need proof of income for the Neherlands, do you know how this would work in this scenario?

Thanks, M

Hi,

A slight variation - what if the work was done only when in the UK?

That is, self employed with UK ltd company, working only in the UK a few days each month and living in Netherlands, not working while in the Netherlands.

Would same tax apply, that is social charges applied t to UK income?

Thank you. D

Hi,
A slight variation - what if the work was done only when in the UK?
That is, self employed with UK ltd company, working only in the UK a few days each month and living in Netherlands, not working while in the Netherlands.
Would same tax apply, that is social charges applied t to UK income?
Thank you. D

-@danba27

You are assessed for your world-wide taxes depending on where you are deemed as being resident, not where you work; these assessments can be modified by taxation agreements between both countries; these agreements are primarily aimed at business taxes and pensions.  The UK Gov website has a copy you can read, this link will take you straight to it.

As far as the Dutch are concerned, if you are resident in the Netherlands for more than 183 days in any tax year (Jan > Dec), then they will assess you for all taxes on your annual world-wide income; there is a double taxation in the treaty, so you won't be charged twice on the same income, however, the Dutch will assess and charge you for social taxes (currently 27.65%, up to a cap of 66,956 EUR), these are specifically not covered by any taxation agreement.  This is normally deducted at source from Dutch employees (like PAYE), when they got me for it, they just sent me a bill.

In addition to these, you will also have to pay for private medical insurance; this link will take you to the Zorgverzekeringslijn website, where you can read more about it.

My advice would be to go and speak to a Dutch tax adviser; you'll find details in our Services link at the top of this page.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team