Can I travel to the UK on my NL residence permit?

Hi all

I was granted the 5 year residence permit to live with my Dutch partner in The Netherlands.

As I have my South African passport but also have my residence permit, do I have to apply for a holiday visa for us to visit friends in the UK? Am I allowed to travel alone in the Europe, without him?

Hi Shutzie,

The UK is not a member of the Schengen agreement, so there is no free travel between Holland and the UK, I don't know if you need any further documentation, try contacting the British Embassy:

British Embassy The Hague

Lange Voorhout 10
2514 ED The Hague
Netherlands

Email [email protected]

Telephone +31 (0)70 4270 427

As UK and Switzerland  not members of the schengen  accord. You must apply for visa
If you intend to visit UK or ch

Hi, I  applied for visa  when i went to UK with my residence permit.

Hi Shutzie,

I just checked the UK Government website; you do need a visa; if you follow this link, it will take you to the relevant website to begin the process.

Hi
You got residence card with Dutch law so you need visa to go uk.
And you can travel schengen zone without yours partner.
Good luck

From what I can see the Dutch resident permits are not an acceptable form of travel document in the UK because  it is not in the Shenghen zone. You will have to apply for a visitor visa.

Long live The Netherlands
A message to the visitors of UK they need visa ,
Don't let them take your money and waste  your time ,  they are refusing your visa application without any reason , i have Netherlands travel document and i have owned company own house in Netherland they refused my short time visa without any logical reason.
The Crazy man from UK visa department says: i am not sure that your are leaving UK after visit .  💩💩💩

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your forum information tells me you're a Dutch citizen; you don't need a visa to enter the UK.

So, assuming you're not a Dutch citizen, then in the last year for which statistics are available (link here), the UK issued 9.3 million visas to non-EU/EEA visitors, so I wouldn't take it personally, they reject 16% of all visa application for some reason or another.  The "I am not sure that you are leaving the UK after visit" means that you are not entitled to free entry and didn't supply sufficient evidence that you would leave after your visa expired.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello I have a question about the mvv process.Does age gabs really matters between partners?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

It can be a thing that tips the decision they are making against you.  For example, if there is a 20 year age gap, but you have been together for 3 years and have a child together, then I think they would agree that there is a meaningful relationship between you.  However, if you met on holiday and have only known each other for that 2 weeks, then they will almost certainly consider that this is not a meaningful relationship and more like a convenience.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat team

I agree on Cynic answer. I think it is more matters how long the relationship is.

Me and my husband has 20 yrs age gap and married after 8 months of relationship. 

Our MVV was approved/ arrived by post mail within 3 weeks.

😊😊

My friend was in similar situation and she had to apply for visa

@David Khan no need to call him crazy as as lawys applies in your country as well.  IND reject visa for no reasons here as well

Yes, as a South African passport holder with a Dutch residence permit, you need a visa to enter the UK. You have to apply through TLScontact in Amsterdam or The Hague. The latter is a VIP centre, and you pay a serious premium. When I applied last year, appointment slots were not available in Amsterdam, so I was forced to pay the extra fee to apply in The Hague. I got the visa within two weeks.