Quarantine permit for dogs???

Hello:
Bringing 2-yr old Labrador one-way into Costa Rica this Spring. I already have the airline/kennel requirements, know what I need from my vet, etc. But I am seeing that a Pet Quarantine Permit is also required. Apparently, you can file ahead of time through a custom agency to the Ministerio de Agricultura y Ganaderia. Does anyone have experience getting this quarantine permit? I am wading through the websites with my limited Spanish without much luck.
Thanks!

hi
I came  here with a cat and many friends brought dogs with no quarantine..BUT that was 25 years ago, who knows  now? regulations change here with the tide.
I would call the US and the Costa Rican Embassies  for more information\
and  AIRLINES usually KNOW the  restrictions also.I have traveled for years with a dog
(at least 1) and I remember the times when I could take my pooch ON board and sit him like a passenger as "Airline Histesses " (as were then called Laughed and asked if he wanted a Martini
Alas  those days are OVER Good luck\DebIf I can be of help with other things PM me

Thanks Pebs... After the fact, I found out that the quarantine permit is only required if I am bringing in dogs for commercial reasons, not as family pets.

Thought so ! GREAT !   Good luck from an avid dog lover/rescuer :)

@celferis Is that still valid? Flying Sundays with my dog in the belly of the plane as cargo. Some sites say you do, others you don't. Even asked the Costa Rican consulate, but my experience of consulates only attending you when they feel like was confirmed once more. 

@zwergje

Hello and welcome !

This thread is quite and that member has not logged in for the past 5 years.

Please consider opening a new thread on the Costa Rica forum so that active members can guide you.

All the best

Bhavna

Nothing in the local news suggests that the requirements for importing a dog have changed.

First, the dog must have been vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before the travel date but not more than one year before that date. The "30 days before travel" requirement is because the incubation period for rabies is 30 days. Costa Rica only recognizes 1-year rabies vaccination.

Then, the vet who vaccinated the dog must complete an International Health Certificate which attests to the dog's state of health. That Certificate must be counter-endorsed by a member of the "veterinary service". If you're not familiar (who is?), the "veterinary service" is an arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Their offices are located in every U.S. state and at least some large cities. The veterinary service must endorse the International Health Certificate within ten days of the travel date.

The dog must travel on the same plane as its owner or be consigned for travel by a licensed animal transporter.

The airlines each have restrictions on traveling with live animals and they're very strict. You must make arrangements with the airline in advance and follow their restrictions.

Since the dog will be handled as "cargo", Costa Rican Customs will charge an import duty of 25% of the cost of transporting the dog. You'll have to deal with Customs at the airport when you arrive. Bring cash.

If you find this all very daunting (we did), there are internationally-licensed animal transporters who do this for a living and know all the ropes. Nobody said "cheap".