Moving our supersize dog

Hi,
I am trying to get a Newfoundland into Costa Rica.  He is larger than the 700 series Giant crate which is the largest United accepts.  We have received a quote from a pet relocation company for $6000.  There must be an airline that will take supersize crates but I can't find one.
Please let me know if have any information.
Thank you,

This might help a bit, but I think you're still going to have problems with a dog the size of a Newfie.

American Airlines

American Airlines (aa.com) only allows one dog kennel per ticketed passenger in the main cabin, and like many other airlines, the total weight of the dog and kennel together cannot exceed 20 pounds. But the weight limit of a single dog, its kennel and all accompanying contents, such as toys, food and water bowls, increases to 100 pounds when traveling as checked baggage in the cargo section of the plane. If, on the other hand, that same kennel has two dogs, the total weight limit drops back down to 20 pounds, with age restrictions dictating each dog be between 8 weeks and 6 months old. The cost is $125 per kennel.

Air Canada

Air Canada (aircanada.com) flights have a maximum allowable weight of 22 pounds -- dog and kennel -- in the main cabin, but up to 70 pounds when checked as cargo. But the size of the kennel must be no more than 115 inches when the length, width and height are added together. The per-kennel cargo cost is $105. Dogs checked as cargo do not need to be accompanied by an onboard passenger and will be admitted into Maple Leaf Lounges so long as they are kept in their kennel at all times. In addition, Air Canada requires a health certificate and proof of immunization before checking any dog onto a flight.

Alaska Airlines (I have no idea if they serve Costa Rica)

Alaska Airlines (alaskaair.com) has some of the most relaxed weight restrictions in the industry, partly because many Alaska residents own extremely large canines. While in-cabin weight limits are comparable with American Airlines, dog and kennel together can weigh up to 150 pounds when checked into the baggage compartment. Additionally, a 500 size kennel is the largest allowed on any flight, with maximum dimensions of 30 inches by 27 inches by 40 inches. A $100 fee is assessed each way. When the combined weight is 151 pounds or more, the airline has a special Air Cargo division that will make arrangements and offer alternative pricing.

Delta Airlines

Delta Airlines (delta.com) permits 400 and 500 series kennels with maximum weights of 24 and 31 pounds, respectively, to be checked as cargo on all aircraft. An extra-large 700 series kennel with a maximum weight of 51 pounds is permitted on some flights. Rates for these kennels range from $85 to $180. But dogs are not admitted into the baggage area on any flights between May 15 and Sept. 15 because of extreme heat or between Nov. 1 and March 31 on Utah, Idaho and Wyoming flights because of severe cold. As an alternative though, dog owners can take advantage of the Pet First program, with specifically designated aircraft used for shipping pets year-round.

United Airlines

United Airlines (united.com) will accept 400 and 500 size kennels on all aircraft for $145 and $160, respectively, while 700 size kennels are permitted only on larger Boeing aircraft for $250. All dogs, regardless of size, are accepted as cargo at United's SPD/QuickPak counters, but are no longer accepted at passenger ticket counters unless they qualify for the military and State Department exceptions policy. Under the PetSafe program, passengers have access to a 24-hour live animal help desk and weather condition monitoring at all points of the flight; plus, climate-controlled transport is used between connecting flights if the dog will be exposed to temperatures in excess of 85 degrees.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you for replying.  So I wonder how a Pet Relocation company is going to get him in?
Sarah

United no longer accepts pets as extra baggage, and now only offer 'Petsafe' for a large animal and that involves brokers etc, which is expensive.
I think that many airlines use DSL, Pet shipping

We moved our beloved 110 lb Bull Mastiff/Chow, Dunkin, to CR in 2008, not sure what has changed since then as per comments, but my husband and son drove him down and we flew him back on United in a crate. No clue what the crate was called. Good luck!

United and Delta are a few that take animals into there storage department .  Go online and look for airlines that accept animals it may cost though

Thank you.  The problem is that he is larger than what the airlines will take.  The largest crate is a Supersize number 700 and he needs something larger.  United's doors aren't large enough. I'll keep trying.

good luck perhaps you should contact a airline to see which airline would. For I am sure people transport the dogs around the world to shows and moving ect.   You may look at a cargo ship you can also as passengers on many book a room too good luck.  I would hate to loose my animal..    Lucky me I have just a cat...

Any luck? What did you end up doing? We are relocating from Vancouver to SJO with a 120lbs Rottweiler. He doesn't fit the Giant 700 series kennel either. And I read from another Canadian on this blog that no american airline will fly Pet cargo out of Canada including United

You are likely to run into a problem, so suggest you try Fedex.

That is a a big problem I know you love the dog with all your heart.   You may have to look at special cargo planes or even a ship..   I am sure it wont be cheap or fly out of USA > Many cargo ships also rent rooms on board you could be with the dog..  But a long voyage....But i do believe the latter your best bet....I am sure some one will transport the dog..   But start checking cargo planes and or ships or out of US. good luck I brought two cats with me from US I could not leave them they were my family.. They passed away here they were older been here six years now returning with another cat i got here..

Were you able to find an option? I'm taking my Great Dane who will not fit in a 700 either. I had a custom kennel built. I live on the west coast and he is being driven to Miami and put on a freight flight to San Jose at the end of October. It is quite expensive.

@ jhrutledge: We are leaving in 4 days and are also leaving from the West Coast. We had a 4inch extension added on our 700 kennel. Our dog is being shipped with Delta on a direct flight from LAX to SJO. Their Boeing 757 will accept any kennel. Even if he is in the cargo hold, we can still fly on the same plane which makes it easier to clear customs.

Just a word of warning, do not assume it will be easier because your pets are on the same flight.  It is very "person" dependent here and if the person checking you through has had a bad day be prepared.  I wish you the best!!!

Sadly my baby can't fit even with two extensions:-( I'm glad you found a way to get yours on the same flight. Safe travels

What about just driving to CR with the dog. Driving to FL verses driving to CR from the west coast say fro LA is only about 600 to 700 miles difference.