Moving a pet successfully to Costa Rica?

Hi-

My boyfriend and I are actively considering moving to Costa Rica at the end of the year. Our dogs are our kids and moving without them is not an option. I have looked in to pet relocation, which seems like the safest option, but the quote was $5000, which is just $2000 less than the quote I was given for shipping an entire container of stuff from Los Angeles to Costa Rica, aside from duties. They are my babies, so any price is worth it, but the airlines only charge $150 per pet, so I'm wondering where the other charges of $2500 a pet come from. Has anyone had experience with bringing pets into the country themselves? I am looking to connect and talk to people who had done this. My dogs are large so they would be in the cargo hold. Thanks! Nicki

I just moved to Costa Rica 3 months ago with my large dog. I did all the research and arrangements myself (it was exhausting!). I ended up spending about $700 (airfare, vet check-ups, paperwork, extra-large kennel, etc.)

One of the ways I saved money and more headache was to fly on the same plane with my dog - if I didn't do that I would have had to hire a broker and have even more paperwork.

The airline reps were full of misinformation and I would hear different things from them every time I called. My flight had to be rescheduled 3 times - once because the airline rep booked my dog and I on a flight that could not actually take any dogs in the cargo, another because the airline's rules about length of layover changed, and the third time because the airline rep was misinformed about the new layover rule and misbooked my flight. Add to that the laws in Costa Rica changing from time to time and it all equals one big nightmare.

I have not actually seen this on any official web sites, but have heard rumors of cargo pets now needing an import permit (different from health certificate) in addition to all the other requirements. Apparently this law took effect the week after I arrived. I would contact the airline as well as the Embassy to confirm or contradict this.

Here is a link to the Costa Rica Embassy pet website:
http://www.costarica-embassy.org/consul … l/pets.htm

My research also showed that Continental airlines are the most responsible when it comes to transporting pets, but they are also the airline that kept screwing up my flights and giving me contradicting information.

Even after all the craziness I went through, I would still do this myself if I had to do it over again. The airline rules and country laws change regardless of someone handling this for you or not.

Feel free to email me if you decide to tackle this yourself. Good luck!

I flew my dog which was 100 pounds down here for $75 dollars, not including the kennel we had to buy and the vet visit before.  We flew on martin air out of orlando with a straight shot to san jose.  Also consider the weather.  your dog will not be able to fly if it is over 85 degrees.  we had several tests runs and had to bring out dog back and we decided to wait until october.  what ever you do, do not go with these reps saying that they'll fly your dog.  they will rip you off.  try delta, american, jet blue, and martin air.  they are pretty reasonable.  When you get into the airport with your dog in costa rica, its real easy just show them the papers and they will let them thru very easy. That was honestly the easiest thing i had ever done was transport my dog here.  If you have anymore questions feel free to email me back.

Hi-I am in the process of moving my Great Dane to CR. I have gotten most of the arrangements made but amd trying to find a broker for the import permit as she must travel cargo. Does anyone know of an english speaking broker? My Spanish is pitiful. I will be here 6 months volunteering and taking classes in Spanish but that won't help me for now. Any advice would be great. Our tickets are booked for Oct. 5th.
Thanks
J

Hi - this person has been highly recommended (I have no experience w/ moving pets around, but others say she's great):
Angela Passman
World Pet Travel
506-8832-2450
1-877-889-1131 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-877-889-1131      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
worldpettravel.com

I'm wondering the same thing.  My dog is my best friend. $5,000 seems a lot of money, but I've heard of pets sitting in the customs warehouse for several days while they sort out the paperwork. It makes me think maybe it would be easier to move to Mexico.
Carol

Hey there,
How are you making out with this.  I just did the move with 2 dogs from Canada.  Both are 45-55 pounds. Let me know if you need more info or if things are sorted.  It was a horrible experience doing all the research and getting incorrect information from every so called "expert".  Airlines were totally inaccurate and I am in the process of filing complaints from the start of the experience to the end.  I traveled with Continental who claims they have a Pet Safe Program---meaning you would think they would have accurate information but, my experience was they were not right from the first call to the last.  Good news is...My babies are with me and are safe and happy to be with me too. 
Good luck. C.

I wanted to fill you in on how it went for me...I did in fact fly my female Great Dane into Costa Rica at the beginning of Oct. We came in on the same Continental plane at about noon. I was told she would come up on the converor belt near luggage. That did not happen and then someone came and told me she had been taken to customs which is quite a long distance from the airport. I went and rented my car and then was off to pick her up.
It didn't take too long at the continental office to get her however I did have to pay a broker $200. and $150.00 in tax. In expressing my frustration to the Continental person he said it was a new issue they are having with customs and even a few months before it wasn't the case. It was quite irritating but I did get her pretty quickly and am glad I have her with me. My suggestion is make sure you have extra cash just in case...

We brought our dog Gus, 30 ish pounds of Wheaten Terrier, to Costa Rica.  It was definitely a tiresome process but it happened one way or another and he's here.

We made sure he was all up to date on rabies and other shots then took him for a vet check a few days before he was going to fly to get his health certificate.  This was in Fort Myers, FL.  We then had to take the certificate from the vet to the USDA office near Miami airport for authentication and final approval (This would have been a big wrinkle for us if we weren't flying out of Miami as we hadn't bargained on this part of the process).  Then he flew as checked baggage in a crate.  This was with American Airlines.  The temp. was close to the 85 but we were ok on the day.  We picked an early am flight for this reason.  The crate came up the conveyor belt in San Jose airport with the golf clubs and other oversize items.  We then went through the normal customs channel as we always do when we arrive, no customs away from the airport.

Because we were flying with him and because of his size we could fly him as part of our baggage allowance.  I think if he was bigger or he went as cargo, or without us, it would have been a lot harder.

It worked out and we are sure we're here to stay.  But if we don't stay...I think Gus will.  I think him flying and us navigating the paperwork was a one shot deal.

I shipped both my cat and dog on the same plane I was in.  The dog went in cargo while the cat went under the seat.

I used Continental and it was reasonable. They have a good record with pets and I made sure I flew at a time of year that was safer for the animals. (temperature)

I did have to make sure I had all the pet papers in order.  I had to go to the capital of my state and get certain stamps, other than that, it all went very smooth.

Good luck.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. M ONLY worry about the move is my babies. I have two small dogs 14 lbs and 6lbs and my cat 6 lbs. I am hoping to have the two dogs in one carrier and the cat in another and put them both under the seat.

I had a bad experience putting my dogs(different ones) in the cargo area years ago when I went to live in the Yucatan. I do not want to do that again.

I will have lots of research to do about this. Any other advice is most welcome.

Best to you,
Dee

My boyfriend and I are planning to move to Costa Rica with our large, 95 lbs dog.  It seems like we have had similar experiences with the airlines and brokers as those who have written previously.  We are flying with Continental airlines and have been given false information from the reps countless times.  We have contacted a broker and was quoted with a ridiculously high price.  Does anyone have any advice that would help us get our dog there? We would GREATLY appreciate it!

Hello nmatlee and welcome to Expat.com!

Maybe that starting a new thread on the forum will help in visibility, as this post dates 2010.

Harmonie.

We've been checking this topic out too because we are animal rescuers and currently have 9 dogs and 8 or so cats.... We want to bring our personal pets with us and have found out this much: If your pet will fit under the seat, there is a limit of 2 dogs inside the plane so you have to make sure nobody else is on your flight with a dog.  I haven't found out about just buying an extra seat for a crate but plan to check it out.  We shopped around for several pet transport services and got quotes from $5000 (for 7 pets) to as high as $30,000.  Now I love my babies but really?????  I have two contacts I can share, this is one of the pet transport companies who had a very reasonable rate [email protected].  I have NOT checked references on him so I'm not endorsing him, just passing along a possible source of information.  The other contact I have is someone I've come to know personally who is in the shipping of goods to Costa Rica business. Her name is Arden Brink.  You can "meet" her and a lot of really friendly, knowledgeable people through this link: actionalliancecr.com  I'm Vikki, tell them I sent you!  And if any of you find out anything more about the pet process, please share!

I need to move four cats to Costa Rica in the absolute cheapest way possible. I've seen a lot of suggestions for people with one or two animals, but any advice on bringing all four would be greatly appreciated. Leaving them behind is simply not an option!

Thanks,
Jenni

been there done that
do any of you really feel safe having your babies in someone elses care on such a long trip

i drove down almost 2 years ago from NY W/14 cats

i could find no other alternative

even if i could afford it i would never put them in a cargo hold of a plane

there is a website that details the animal fatalities by law it is public record i think it is the FAA and it will make your stomach turn

it was not that bad and i think the total cost for all 14 came to 500 dollars

i am glad to all of you that flew your pets down safely but many dont make it

Really?  You drove it?  Did you have someone with you who spoke Spanish?  Any trouble at the borders?  I'd love to hear all about it.  Thanks.

Just back from a fantastic 2 1/2 months in Costa Rica with my long-haired German Shepherd dog.  It was the best vacation ever.  However, huge travel issues with the dog.  We flew Toronto / Miami / Liberia with American Airlines for $200 but they refused to fly us home the same route with the same planes.... Aparently they made a mistake in sending us down as the dog and crate weighed 138 pounds and 100 is the max.  But they didn't tell me that until I tried to come home.  It took us 6 extra days of wrangling, additional car / hotel costs and then the cargo price for the dog was $1700.00!!!

Inspite of all that I want to return to CR this fall and am looking for some way to get the dog there for a cheaper price.

Looking to fly our dog down to Costa Rica. The trick is that he is a pitbull/ Amstaf mix. Any ideas? Thanks.

Having gone back and forth with my dogs several times from Seattle to Costa Rica, here is a current report.

- I have had very good luck going from the US to Costa Rica. If the dog is traveling with you and the dog+crate weighs less than 100 lbs. it is a breeze - should be around $150. You can check them in with your baggage. Just get a health certificate from your vet and carry an extra xerox copy with you to give to the people in CR customs, it is no problem. They are very mellow here in Costa Rica in the airport.

My latest dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback) flew down as a puppy from Seattle to Costa Rica in the cabin. I'm about to go back to Seattle with my dog - here's where things get complicated.

He now weighs over 100 lbs - 135 lbs. with the kennel. Under 100 lbs total is checked baggage for $150 - Over 100 lbs he is classified as air cargo and the charges go through the roof!

American Airlines quoted $1,500, plus $200 for the air bill (new regulations require a shipping agent to fill out the airbill). $1,700 total one way.

United/Continental looked much better, their rate sheet said $459 but there is a $650 "fuel surcharge" - so around $1,200 one way. Better than AA, but not much.

I can't find any other way to get the dog back to Seattle. If your dog plus the kennel weighs more than 100 lbs, be prepared to pay more than a ticket for a person. If you live or can get your dog to Miami you can probably find something cheaper. But if you live in the continental US, be prepared to pay a huge shipping bill.

UPDATE - It looks like the United/Continental "Petsafe" program is the best service. Final quote was $750 San Jose to Seattle. Assuming they don't add on any extra charges at the airport, that seems to be by far the cheapest option for shipping a big dog. American takes the prize for highest cost and worst service.

Hi,

We are considering this as well, if we make the move, and I was wondering what the specific difference is between checked baggage and cargo, with reference to safety/temperature?  Is it the same area or would baggage be safer? 

Thanks!

I believe that either checked baggage or cargo is fine.  My dog needs to go cargo because of the size / weight of him and his crate.  Checked baggage is cheaper for a smaller dog.  My dog and crate combined weigh about 150 lbs.

Depending on where you are flying from and to...check to see what time he will arrive in Costa Rica.  They will only clear animals between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. in CR so you need to have him cleared before then or you won't be able to get him until the next morning.

This coming year I will fly Detroit / Atlanta or Miami / San Jose.  I might need to overnight the dog in Atlanta or Miami but whichever it is they have a dog boarding kennel there.  I would put the dog on a flight a day ahead of me.  They pick him up and overnight him and then put him on the plane I'll arrive on.  If you need to do this, I can get you the info from my files.  Let me know.

Oh wow the 8-4 thing is good info, never thought of that.  Most of the flights from DC (my nearest airport) arrive late at night.

We are still in the planning stages of everything, and this is by far the most stress-inducing of it all! 

As we get closer to the event (if it materializes) I will definitely have to revisit this thread.

Thanks so much for the response!

We have small dogs, but they are too large for most of the airlines' qualification for carry-on. I guess they are sort of "tweeners" :).  But I just found out JetBlue has a JetPaws program, were rated highly by Petfinder.com, and only charge a $100 fee per pet.  Their approved carrier is small, but it looks like their stipulation is only that total weight including the carrier (2 lbs) and the dog must be under 20 lbs.  Both of our dogs would fit this.  Orlando is a hub for JB, and we could take a direct flight to San Jose in about 4 hrs.  It would be worth it to drive to Orlando.  It would be a tight fit, but I'm sure our furry ones would prefer to be smooshed and be able to be with us rather than separated under the plane.

JetBlue just happens to have the cheapest flights right now too, so that helps.

If anyone has any info on JB, please let me know!

(Moderated)

I live about half the year in Costa Rica. I am bringing two Great Danes down this year and I am trying to get all the right information. One will likely be under 100lbs with crate at time of travel but one will be over for sure. From everything I have read United/continental is my best option?

I also understand I need international health certificates and I need customs import form before I go.

What is this about customs only being open from 8-4pm?? I can't find any info on that from anywhere else!! I cannot get on a flight that will arrive before 4pm... So what will happen to my dogs? Will they be held overnight???

Any help is very appreciated!!!

Pure vida

Jen

As far as I know, United/Continental requires the use of a broker, which will increase the cost dramatically.
Yes, they may well be held overnight.
You also need to check the temperature and whether or not your pet can be transported.

Really? I understand you just have to have the customs paperwork. I have not heard about needing a broker. A friend of mine has been flying back and forth with a Rottwieiler from San Francisco so I will check with him.

I know temperature is rarely an issue in San Jose... I am flying from Vancouver and it won't be an issue here, it just depends on the stop over place which is likely to be in texas.

I am most concerned about customs hours because I cannot get a flight that will arrive before 4pm. Although I have not heard of this from anyone else except here it sounds very much like Costa Rica to me! (I have been living there half the the year for 7 years or so now...)

Maybe it is Delta that I was looking at before... ? What airlines have people been successful with?

Personal recommendation is American Airlines.

With United/Continental and their Pet Safe program, your animal flies as cargo, unlike some other airlines which flies them as excess luggage, when your animal flies as cargo you need a customs broker to clear customs,

The rabies vaccination must be less than a year old but more than thirty days old. Costa Rica only recognizes one-year rabies vaccinations. Due to rabies' incubation period, the vaccination must be given more than thirty days before the animal arrives. The APHIS form had to be done within 10 days of travel and then endorsed by the USDA vet or the equivilent in Canada.

Temps. above 29.5 C degrees is a problem and your pet will not be peritted to fly. Then you have additional problems....

I just looked at American's website and they won't take a dog where the crate/kennel is over 100lbs or a series 700 kennel. My bigger great dane will be both of those :(

You may not have any other choices other than United and from what I have heard from others, this will cost over $1000 for each dog, each way...oh my!  :blink:

I have now spoken to a friend who just brought his dog back and forth. He sent them ahead of him on a different flight using United Pet safe. Itc pst $450 for the flight plus brokerage fees from California. He sent the dog ahead and arranged her customs clearance because his flight got in later. It all worked out fine. he said the agent for petsafe in Costa Rica is very help and speaks English. I am going to call him and try to make arrangements like he did...

I am moving to Costa Rica in June of 2014. Something I didn't thing of, and I am checking into, is chartering a jet so I can travel with my dog. I'm sure it will be expensive, but I stress to think of my dog in the cargo area of a plane. I don't want  a dead best friend when I get there :(

Many people move here successfully every day, with their pets and unless you have a very large dog or use an airline that will only transport your pet in cargo, they can usually be 'extra baggage. If you are not traveling with your pet, or if the pet is required to overnight due to weather conditions  this will also require a broker
United will on.ly transport 'in cabin' and as cargo, and so then requires a broker as will a private jet.
Check other airlines.
Using a larger plane say a small jet or king air, turbo prop or pressurized plane with a very long range, you'll need to make a few stops in various countries along the way for fuel, clearing customs, immigration, etc at each stop So, it will be more stressful on both you and your pet.
Secondly, the dog(s) would need to be crated the entire time, a small plane, that could carry your pet in its kennel comfortably, plus people passengers and the pilot would take a couple days to reach CR, depending on where are you departure point. A friend who flies his small plane down from NM occasionally, said it takes two long days, all being dependent on the weather conditions. He said he didn't transport his own pets during his own move here.

I am also thinking about the same thing:  chartering a light Learjet.  We are moving to C.R. with seven pets.  We are in Tampa.  I've called several companies over the last couple of years.   The cheapest I've found is $14,000 Tampa/San Jose.  Not cheap but, it's what it's priority to you.  I really don't know if at our age we can take all the aggravation involved in this task.   Also, in the private jet we can take a few extra personal effects.
[email protected]

I don't suppose the quote you had, included brokerage charges, did it?
Have you considered using a company such as this  Pet Transportation program, which you could use for door-to-door delivery and providing all the necessary health certificates, etc.

Just getting everyone to the airport would be stressful :rolleyes:

Gr8fulmom I just realized that you may have problems bringing your dogs due to the 'cold climate restrictions'. Check your airlines to see if this could be an issue.

Runawayfromwinter: What airline did you fly, and how did you set it up? That's the best solution.
We live in Chicago for half the year and Costa Rica the other half. I'll be bringing my golden retriever to Costa Rica for the third time. Last time I was not allowed to get my own import permit; I was told I HAD to have a broker. World Pet Travel was at the top of my list and so I called them. They made everything very easy but charged me $1700.00. And of course, when I got to Costa Rica, I had to pay even more. I can't afford to keep doing this... There must be a better way! Have you found it?

What airline did you fly, and how did you set it up? That's the best solution.
We live in Chicago for half the year and Costa Rica the other half. I'll be bringing my golden retriever to Costa Rica for the third time. Last time I was not allowed to get my own import permit; I was told I HAD to have a broker. World Pet Travel was at the top of my list and so I called them. They made everything very easy but charged me $1700.00. And of course, when I got to Costa Rica, I had to pay even more. I can't afford to keep doing this... There must be a better way! Have you found it?