Allowance

Greetings

I am joining in a sales role in muscat in a trading company. I received offer letter. They have offered me a salary of 500 Basic + 50 Saturday's allowance + 250 other allowance.

They are also providing me Housing + Car

Now what is this allowance. When i asked them they said 800 OMR will be credited to my account. They said this spilt up is due to some rules.  I am confused with this allowance part. If they are crediting 800 OMR why not put basic as 800 OMR itself. Also they said they will provide the me the contract only after me reaching muscat. Also they did not mention anything on Medical insurance.

Is this ok, or some thing fishy. Please help

Thanks

Senthil Nathan

Hi Senthil2015,

Companies would always split their employees salaries, like what has been offered to you. That is the way it is done and there is nothing fishy about it.

The reason for splitting is only your basic amount would be calculated for your PF contributions. Also for all official payments, like ex-gratia, bonus, etc, only the basic amount will be counted. The rest of the amount is, as mentioned, 'allowances' only.

Employers, by law, are expected to provide their expat employees with medical insurance (inclusions and exclusions would vary), annual return airfare with 1-month's paid vacation for employee and family,

Read the contract thoroughly before signing your acceptance.

Thanks Sumitran sir

Is it a normal process to sign the contract after arriving at muscat. I was thinking if the offer has some discrepancies and the employer doesn't agree with me, what can i do. I would be left with no other options.

Also it will be very helpful if you can provide cost of food per month for a bachelor eating outside 3 times in an Indian restaurant/catering. I hope there will be many Indian catering services.

Thanks
Senthil

Would you believe that my current package, the allowance is more than 100% of the basic salary?We are losing here coz they will base the end of service settlement on the basic salary.

Senthil2015 wrote:

Thanks Sumitran sir

Is it a normal process to sign the contract after arriving at muscat. I was thinking if the offer has some discrepancies and the employer doesn't agree with me, what can i do. I would be left with no other options.

Also it will be very helpful if you can provide cost of food per month for a bachelor eating outside 3 times in an Indian restaurant/catering. I hope there will be many Indian catering services.

Thanks
Senthil

Hi Senthil2015,

Make sure you receive your offer letter prior to even signing your employment contract.

In the offer letter, make all the required changes and amendments and then the same would have to be transferred on to the employment contract.

Now, both these important documents would have to be seen, reviewed, agreed upon and signed by you, as well as by an authorised signatory from your employer's side before you even land here in Oman. There is no point in discussing the terms of your employment after you have agreed and the employment visa issued in your name. The concerns which you have raised is absolutely correct.

Read the numerous posts in the forum on the food costs. Indian / South-Indian food is no problem at all anywhere across Oman, given the vast numbers of Indian expats living here.

For a month, if you were to eat outside, you should be spending around R.O. 50/- to R.O. 75/-, for 3-meals a day.