Cost of living for family of four in Muscat

Hi,

My name is Ganesh and would request clarification for the following queries.

I am pursuing an opportunity in Muscat and they have offered OR 2,000/- month. Additional benefits include Compnay paid family accomodation, Car, Fuel, Medical insurance etc.

We are a family of 4 with 2 school going children in 10th and 7th standards respectively.

My biggest motivation to pursue the opportunity is the savings opportunity in Oman and would like to know from you the typical cost of living in Muscat now.

Since the cost of living is a relative term would like the costs for the follwoing:

1.Household ( provision, milk, vegetable, fruits etc, only veg) expenses for 4 people.
2.Electricity / Gas / Water etc
3.Dining out ( once / twice a month) in a veg restaurant
4. School costs in Indian school.
5. Extra curricular activities for Children if available.

I will be thankful for the answers for above queries

hiii

hi, iam dr hari could any one tell me about how to prepare for omsb licensure exam...which books?

Hi Ganesh,

Vanakam!!! 

I do not know if my reply is late to you but here you go:

1.Household ( provision, milk, vegetable, fruits etc, only veg) expenses for 4 people. Ro. 250/- per month
2.Electricity / Gas / Water etc    - RO. 40/- pm
3.Dining out ( once / twice a month) in a veg restaurant  - RO, 50/-
4. School costs in Indian school.   RO. 40/- per child
5. Extra curricular activities for Children if available.  - RO. 20 per child

Wishing you all the best...

Contact me for any query -   [email protected]

Hi,

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Its very useful and deeply appreciate your support here.

I agree with Sneha, but just take care of a couple of points.
Get an assurance from your employer that they will help you with admission to Indian schools.  Considering that your children are going to higher schools, getting an admission after the start of the academic year wouldn't be easy.
Also, keep in mind that the quality and standard of education does not match India. You need to particularly pay attention to it due to the fact that one of your child is in 10th.
Furthe,there is speculation of a new rule that you can bring your family only after you have been in Muscat for a minimum period of 6 months. Ensure you get this point cleared with your employer.
Oman does provide you a good opportunity to save and is a peaceful country to live in, but do keep in mind, that there is no great job security here, especially in the wake of the renewed drive for Omanisation. Do weigh your pros and cons well before you take your final decision.
Good luck.

[Moderated: Off topic.]