Housing Allowance for spouse in Riyadh???

Hi,

I hope you guys can help/advise, i have a question for a friend and colleague, She is currently working in riyadh and has been given accommodation by her employer. Her Husband who is her dependant, has found work and is looking to get transferred over from her iqama to the new company. However they have advised her husband he may not potentially be eligible for housing allowance as his wife already has accommodation and he is living with her. I am confused by this as well as my friend who has the query. As her husband will be working for a totally separate employer. Apparently this is the labour law, but it seems the company whom are stating this to her husband are not sure themselves. Can anyone please help, advise if you have any knowledge or experience regarding this?? Thank you very much for your help.

Starsky,

A very interesting situation, Wife has got the job with accommodation, husband came as a dependent of the working wife who now finds a job for himself and now seeking transfer of Kifalah, sounds normal.

As far as I know, under the labour law , an employee is eligible for his or her entitlement of housing and travel, the best solution is that you talk to an arabic speaking lawyer (or  an EB member can help!)

A word of warning though, the Saudi employers get very upset if you try to teach them the law, even if you are 100 percent correct, by doing this you will probably eliminate any chances of working with this employer and this information will be of use to you for your future job hunt! :whistle:

oh ok, thank you for your input. I was under the impression like many people i spoke to was, as it was a different employer and not being employed "as a couple" the benefits are entitled to each individual.

In most cases, where, the wife, is the dependent of the husband (and in assuming that husband, as sponsor of the wife, is the one getting the accommodation allowance). if in case, the wife transfers to another sponsor, and requested for the HRA, the new employer of the wife, can request her, for her husband to provide a company letter stating that he is not getting HRA, so they will provide for the wife...meaning, they will not let you guys (easily) both get HRA.
So, that's the same way (maybe), if husband gets to transfer from being a dependent of a wife.

Picture this : wife gets to HR to request a company letter certifying that she is not getting a housing allowance, to show the new employer of the husband...though she is actually receiving it...what do you think?

hmmm....kinda' rush in answering, so i hope you get my point.

So in other words you're trying to deceive your employer by lying about your wife not receiving housing allowance from her employer...

i have passed all the information onto person who is querying this, she is not happy about this and most certainly will not "lie" about her allowance. And i agree as i would do the same. But just seems really bizarre that one persons benefits is affected although it is a different company as a whole. Everything is a bit of a grey area regarding this situation, and anyone you speak to doesn't really know for sure what the correct outcome is. Strange  :unsure

Popolocroix wrote:

In most cases, where, the wife, is the dependent of the husband (and in assuming that husband, as sponsor of the wife, is the one getting the accommodation allowance). if in case, the wife transfers to another sponsor, and requested for the HRA, the new employer of the wife, can request her, for her husband to provide a company letter stating that he is not getting HRA, so they will provide for the wife...meaning, they will not let you guys (easily) both get HRA.
So, that's the same way (maybe), if husband gets to transfer from being a dependent of a wife.

Picture this : wife gets to HR to request a company letter certifying that she is not getting a housing allowance, to show the new employer of the husband...though she is actually receiving it...what do you think?

hmmm....kinda' rush in answering, so i hope you get my point.

what's your point? advising the OP of using deceipt to get accommodation? 

let me give a clarification to you. as per labor law, these are what constitute part of a labor contract:
basic salary, medical insurance, transportation allowance and housing allowance, paid vacation, ESB. Most employees get these especially those hired from outside the KSA and those who transferred from one employer to another.  However for dependents transferring to another sponsorship, the discretion to give housing allowance is their, discretion, maybe given or not, or sometimes bundled as package.

now most companies are adhering to saudi labor laws, to avoid complaints from employees and paying hefty fines, and closure of their business.

can i ask you,  did you get accommodation allowance by using that 'point' that you stated above?

Hi everybody,

Please avoid giving advices that can encourage members to cheat in order to overcome some problems, it will be best if we can share some valuable information instead.

I am sure that there is an another solution to overcome these obstacles !! :)

Thank you all

Priscilla  :cheers:

mannyd wrote:

what's your point? advising the OP of using deceipt to get accommodation? 

let me give a clarification to you. as per labor law, these are what constitute part of a labor contract:
basic salary, medical insurance, transportation allowance and housing allowance, paid vacation, ESB. Most employees get these especially those hired from outside the KSA and those who transferred from one employer to another.  However for dependents transferring to another sponsorship, the discretion to give housing allowance is their, discretion, maybe given or not, or sometimes bundled as package.
now most companies are adhering to saudi labor laws, to avoid complaints from employees and paying hefty fines, and closure of their business.
can i ask you,  did you get accommodation allowance by using that 'point' that you stated above?

Dear, don't jump into conclusions...i was just (sort of) clearly responding to what Starsky was asking...I say : "Picture This" ...as it may seemed, employers don't like the idea that both Husband and wife getting HRA at the same time...
I only knew of some guys who tried that way, but disappointing it is (to them), people with good faith (like HR guys...hehehe) will not allow it.  Now, is there a labor law here in KSA that says, only one party (husband or wife) will get the HRA? :\