Car / Van Tyres

I'm just getting my LDV Convoy van ready for putting onto Hungarian plates. I'm told that in Hungary all tyres must be the same make and tread pattern, is this correct? It is a 6 wheel van so I might end up having to buy 6 new tyres if this is the case.

fidobsa wrote:

I'm just getting my LDV Convoy van ready for putting onto Hungarian plates. I'm told that in Hungary all tyres must be the same make and tread pattern, is this correct? It is a 6 wheel van so I might end up having to buy 6 new tyres if this is the case.

Yes, I believe this to be the case for HU vehicles.  For the UK MoT, UK vehicles can have any tread pattern or manufacturer so long as they are radial tyres.  Since nearly all tyres are radial these days, this is not a problem.  You can have 4 tyres all different. However, in the UK they would recommend each axle to have the same brand and pattern as this would improve stability.

You could flog your old tyres on jofogas.hu or even buy a complete set of second hand tyres there.  BTW, they are far less fussy about repairing tyres here. Sidewall damage is instant MoT fail in the UK but out here, it's possible to repair them. Depends really on the extent of the damage.