The Best Car Or SUV In Hungary An American Wouldn't Really Know About?

Hi, I searched the Forum for threads about cars but came up empty on this topic.

Here's what I want to know.

1. What's the best car or SUV there that does really well in the snow that's widely available and easy to get repaired? List all that you like.

2. What's the best car or SUV there that an America would not likely know about that does really well in the snow that's widely available and easy to get repaired?

3. Which if any of these cars would be prime candidates for thieves/break ins and such?

From what I can see and with my American mindset I would choose Land Rover 4wd. But, not being there I wouldn't know if you can get this serviced or repaired easily.

What are your opinions?

Enfusia wrote:

1. What's the best car or SUV there that does really well in the snow that's widely available and easy to get repaired? List all that you like.

Hungary is a land of small cars.  You can get anything here if you try hard enough.  Suzuki, Lada, Dacia (Renault) are all common enough at the lower end.  Ford and Opel in the middle level.  Subaru, BMW or Mercedes if you are rich enough. Spare parts can be difficult and expensive for premium brands. You can get "Crossover" vehicles for the snowy times which are not really that common.

Enfusia wrote:

2. What's the best car or SUV there that an America would not likely know about that does really well in the snow that's widely available and easy to get repaired?

Snow is only a serious problem some years. Depends where you live. Side roads are not cleared always with any speed.  If you live in Buda, it's hilly and some places you'll need snow chains.  Brands mentioned above can easily be fixed.  Bus routes are cleared first and they always run.

Enfusia wrote:

3. Which if any of these cars would be prime candidates for thieves/break ins and such?

All the premium brands can be stolen either for the whole car or the parts. Car crime is not as bad as it once was here. They are more likely to take your car for parts than otherwise (parts are less traceable).

Enfusia wrote:

From what I can see and with my American mindset I would choose Land Rover 4wd. But, not being there I wouldn't know if you can get this serviced or repaired easily.

Not a particularly common vehicle here but you see them around here and there.  Spare parts are easily available but you might have to import your own parts for some specific items.  The home of the LR is of course the UK where everything is available.

I have a 4WD American car and it's very difficult to get some specific parts for the car and surprisingly easy to get other parts.  It's really quite odd here. It's terrible to get information about where to buy stuff. Languages and taxes are a barrier. Real interest and research is needed to track the real prices and intimate knowledge is a necessity.  The worst thing is trying to get people to repair cars competently. My car is now so old (18 years) I have since taken to repairing it myself - something i have not done in any seriousness for 35+ years.  But it's become something of a hobby and I know a lot about that car and I can bore people to death with the details. I have owned the car since new and I've become rather attached to it even in the face of the stupidity of keeping it going.   

Our other car is a Ford and it's been in for repairs now at least a week because they cannot find out what is wrong with it.  If it was a LR or a Lada I am sure it would have been fixed now.

Kia is a common type of SUV here that has a good market with service and parts availability (Kia top line model SUV is the Sorento).

Mercedes, BMW, Audi also have SUVs. BMW SUVs are far more common here than Land Rovers. All big enough and heavy enough to deal with most snow conditions you will find on paved roads. Land Rover only needed if you need to go off-road (including dirt roads) in the snow.

Suszki has some "smaller" 4x4 SUV type cars. More common than other brands.

Ford has a reasonable footprint in Hungary, but not as popular as other companies (such as Suszki). There is a Ford SUV here, called the Kuga. Do not know much about it however.

All SUVs will have a stiffer ride than the sedans, and not as much fun to drive if you ever head over to the Autobahn.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

Hungary is a land of small cars.  You can get anything here if you try hard enough.  Suzuki, Lada, Dacia (Renault) are all common enough at the lower end.  Ford and Opel in the middle level.  Subaru, BMW or Mercedes if you are rich enough. Spare parts can be difficult and expensive for premium brands. You can get "Crossover" vehicles for the snowy times which are not really that common.

Enfusia wrote:

Snow is only a serious problem some years. Depends where you live. Side roads are not cleared always with any speed.  If you live in Buda, it's hilly and some places you'll need snow chains.  Brands mentioned above can easily be fixed.  Bus routes are cleared first and they always run.

Enfusia wrote:

All the premium brands can be stolen either for the whole car or the parts. Car crime is not as bad as it once was here. They are more likely to take your car for parts than otherwise (parts are less traceable).

Enfusia wrote:

Not a particularly common vehicle here but you see them around here and there.  Spare parts are easily available but you might have to import your own parts for some specific items.  The home of the LR is of course the UK where everything is available.

I have a 4WD American car and it's very difficult to get some specific parts for the car and surprisingly easy to get other parts.  It's really quite odd here. It's terrible to get information about where to buy stuff. Languages and taxes are a barrier. Real interest and research is needed to track the real prices and intimate knowledge is a necessity.  The worst thing is trying to get people to repair cars competently. My car is now so old (18 years) I have since taken to repairing it myself - something i have not done in any seriousness for 35+ years.  But it's become something of a hobby and I know a lot about that car and I can bore people to death with the details. I have owned the car since new and I've become rather attached to it even in the face of the stupidity of keeping it going.   

Our other car is a Ford and it's been in for repairs now at least a week because they cannot find out what is wrong with it.  If it was a LR or a Lada I am sure it would have been fixed now.

Thank you. A few of those brands like Lada I'm not familiar with. Having grown up in Wyoming I had a step side international pick up truck as a kid.

My reason for the Land Rover or another SUV is that I have a family of 5 and need the room. Plus, I'm kinda overboard when it comes to being prepared for things. But, it's saved my skin on a couple of occasions.

What do you mean by "The worst thing is trying to get people to repair cars competently"?

I'm not sure if I follow that? Is it because they can get some parts but not others?

Thank you, Patrick

klsallee wrote:

Kia is a common type of SUV here that has a good market with service and parts availability (Kia top line model SUV is the Sorento).

Mercedes, BMW, Audi also have SUVs. BMW SUVs are far more common here than Land Rovers. All big enough and heavy enough to deal with most snow conditions you will find on paved roads. Land Rover only needed if you need to go off-road (including dirt roads) in the snow.

Suszki has some "smaller" 4x4 SUV type cars. More common than other brands.

Ford has a reasonable footprint in Hungary, but not as popular as other companies (such as Suszki). There is a Ford SUV here, called the Kuga. Do not know much about it however.

All SUVs will have a stiffer ride than the sedans, and not as much fun to drive if you ever head over to the Autobahn.

Thank you.

I'm perfectly ok with the stiffer ride on the Autobahn, I'll trade that for family safety any day. If I want to have a drive on the Autobahn I'll rent a car or something like that so I can have some fun.

Here in the States Kia is considered low end. But I've never driven one. I know they have different models etc. for different regions such as Europe VS America. So, is the Sorento a good car there?

One of my attractions to Land Rover is durability. I live in Tampa Fl and I wear Red Wing boots daily, I'm one of those kinds of guys. I like stuff that I can rely on (to an extent of course, all things wear out).

But when you're responsible for the family you want something that will get the job done in any weather IMHO.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Patrick

Patrick,

Wikipedia is a great source for researching car brands. For example, Opel has a shared lineage with GM, as Kia did (does?) with Hyundai. There you can find (by model run) which American vehicles equate to European vehicles. For example, the Ford Kuga is the Escape in the US, while the Ford Mondeo is the American Fusion. Wagons are known as "combi" here (kombi), and are very popular along with hatchbacks.

You'll find most smaller to medium sized models of American counterparts here, though the larger vehicles (think Ford Explorer) are rarely found here, if at all. Kia and Hyundai have become the new Toyotas, known for their reliability and low price. I've owned 2 Hyundai Elantra (2008, 2010), a Mazda MazdaSpeed3 (2009), a BMW 318i (1997) and a Kia Sephia (1994) over the years in PR and the US. I continue to be impressed by how good Hyundai and Kia cars have become. Don't expect a lot of sportiness from Kia or Hyundai, though they are as drivable as Toyotas or Hondas. Honda and Toyota continue to be the easter world's go-to cars for reliability, even though lately they're being hard pressed by their Korean competition to cut corners to remain competitive.

Here I own 4 year old Ford Fiesta. Never in my life I thought of owning American, until Ford made their cars some of the best since 2010 or so (the Fiesta, Focus, and Fusion/Mondeo are near the top of their ranges in quality). I can't say much about durability, but more than likely you'll have more electrical issues with newer cars than mechanical issues with older ones. Higher end brands (LR, BMW, Mercs, etc.) are prone to these and can be expensive to fix.

If you like trucks, you may find solace in the Ford Ranger (why oh why did they discontinue it in the US?!), Toyota Hilux (Tacoma), and Nissan Navarra (Frontier). These are the most common trucks here, and are all 4-door haulers with 4x4 available. There are much cheaper cars that have respectable 4x4 qualities, such as the Suzuki Jimny. The Jimny hasn't been redesigned since 1998 though, so it's pretty outdated. I drove one in Costa Rica and had the most fun you can have in any 4x4.

Good luck!

Enfusia wrote:

family safety any day.

Range Rover Discovery Sport (small SUV) and Mercedes C-Class (sedan) and GLA-Class (small SUV) all got a 5 star rating from Euro NCAP (www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/lat … y-ratings/).

And as said already, cars are small here. What I am saying here, basically, is you do not need to drive a SUV for safety as many sedans will provide the same or better safety for the price. You will probably not get hit by a Ford F-150 because there are none.

But if you just like SUVs, well then that is the vehicle to get, no discussion.

Enfusia wrote:

Here in the States Kia is considered low end. ... So, is the Sorento a good car there?

At $45,000 (loaded) it is the "cheaper" of the cars in the larger SUVs class. I do not own one, but it is far more common here of the ones I see on the roads, and from those I do know who have one it is less a problem finding repair shops that know how to repair it properly and get parts (actually something to consider -- it is not the US, and not even Amazon always delivers to Hungary).

Enfusia wrote:

I like stuff that I can rely on (to an extent of course, all things wear out).

My father's Mercedes still runs like a dream and it is 40 years old. Of those who I know who own Land Rover, they say there is a little something always going wrong with them. But I have never myself owned a Land Rover. But have spent some time in them in the bush in Africa.

Enfusia wrote:

But when you're responsible for the family you want something that will get the job done in any weather IMHO.

Buy the best you can afford. But it is Europe. Not the outback. Land Rover is here status mostly. Its real features and potential will be mostly underutilized here. But if you like, trust, and want a Rover, then case closed. And Rovers go better with Red Wing.  :)

klsallee wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

family safety any day.

Range Rover Discovery Sport (small SUV) and Mercedes C-Class (sedan) and GLA-Class (small SUV) all got a 5 star rating from Euro NCAP (www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/lat … y-ratings/).

And as said already, cars are small here. What I am saying here, basically, is you do not need to drive a SUV for safety as many sedans will provide the same or better safety for the price. You will probably not get hit by a Ford F-150 because there are none.

But if you just like SUVs, well then that is the vehicle to get, no discussion.

Enfusia wrote:

Here in the States Kia is considered low end. ... So, is the Sorento a good car there?

At $45,000 (loaded) it is the "cheaper" of the cars in the larger SUVs class. I do not own one, but it is far more common here of the ones I see on the roads, and from those I do know who have one it is less a problem finding repair shops that know how to repair it properly and get parts (actually something to consider -- it is not the US, and not even Amazon always delivers to Hungary).

Enfusia wrote:

I like stuff that I can rely on (to an extent of course, all things wear out).

My father's Mercedes still runs like a dream and it is 40 years old. Of those who I know who own Land Rover, they say there is a little something always going wrong with them. But I have never myself owned a Land Rover. But have spent some time in them in the bush in Africa.

Enfusia wrote:

Buy the best you can afford. But it is Europe. Not the outback. Land Rover is here status mostly. Its real features and potential will be mostly underutilized here. But if you like, trust, and want a Rover, then case closed. And Rovers go better with Red Wing.  :)

Thank you for pointing out which ones got 5 star ratings. Greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure it everyone is aware of this or not but...
5 star ratings are given when certain parameters are met when a model of vehicle type is crashed into a the same model of vehicle type and doesn't fail.

This means that; a Hyundai sorento is crashed into a Hyundai sorento and passes. It doesn't mean that your Sorento would pass if it were hit by a Ford F-150.
Just sayin....

Yes, I agree about the Mercedes running for that long I had the 4matic wagon and sold it with bookoo miles on it.

After spending time in the bush in Africa all I can say is I hope you didn't catch anything!

I agree the Rover will match my boots and personality better. But, I'm looking at a different country. I need to adapt and can't expect the people or the country to adapt.
That always messed with my head. People Expat somewhere and then form their little groups of all the people who speak their language and very rarely venture outside of that. So why did you move?

IMHO, if you're going to live in a country learn its language. But that's another topic.

I appreciate the auto advice everyone and if you have any more I'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you, Patrick

Enfusia wrote:

5 star ratings are given when certain parameters are met when a model of vehicle type is crashed into a the same model of vehicle type and doesn't fail.

Euro NCAP ratings are a bit more complicated than that:

https://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ncap/ncap_home.jsp

But, yes, they only test for "average" impact scenarios. Ratings are a relative guide, not an absolute expectation of assurance in all possible cases.

Enfusia wrote:

After spending time in the bush in Africa all I can say is I hope you didn't catch anything!

I did. Ended up briefly in a Swiss Hospital upon my return (I was living in Switzerland at the time). They never did know what I had.

Just an occupational hazard. Toughed it out and moved on to my next assignment in Africa.

Enfusia wrote:

So why did you move?

I married into the continent.

I forgot about Kia and Hyundai.  Yes, they work too.

Surprisingly, pick up trucks are quite cheap in HU but they get a real battering. I was looking at buying a Nissan Navarra but  wanted a V6 diesel automatic but they cannot be found easily hereabouts.  Most are 2.5L diesels manuals. 

If you get a LR Discovery, they can be fitted with 7 seats.  Mrs Fluffy tells me that if you have 7 seats in the car, you have to pay a higher premium for the motorway/highway vignette.  I had never heard that before and we've not looked into it but plan. Maybe someone else here knows. 

As for red wing boots - that's something us Europeans would have no idea about.

I just looked over those ratings and they are quite a bit more comprehensive than what we have here. Likely due to German and Italian input VS lobbiest input into politicians pockets here. 

When in the Marines in 82 I think it was I was in Miami helping offload the Cuban boat people. One group had come across inside a shipping container and had a disease. Many in the container were dead. I caught it as well as a few fellows. Man, you wanna talk about sick. I was quarantined in the hospital 2 Marines died from it and one or 2 civilians as well. You know you're sick when if they left a pistol by the bed you might exercise that option.

I understand about the marrying deal. My wife is Russian. I met her when on a research project. She was a professor at the University I was working in cooperation with.

Like you said, you tough it out and move on.

Patrick

fluffy2560 wrote:

Globalization:

http://www.redwingheritage.eu/EUR/page/find-a-store

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Globalization:

http://www.redwingheritage.eu/EUR/page/find-a-store

I looked in that site you gave and this is what I came up with:

HARLEY DAVIDSON CENTER
HAUPTSTRASSE 1A
STRASSHOF B VIENNA, - 2231
Austria

That would be ok. Go to Vienna for the weekend and get a new pair.

I'll likely get a new pair a month before I leave the states. I would suspect I'll have a much better selection.

But it's really good to know that there is a shop close by. I'm not into the biker style boots that Red Wing also makes. I like the wookboot style.

Sure, 1 pair is $250 easy. But, with resoling ive had mine for over 12 years. I've had them resoled twice and that's really about the limit because they had to pull in a little extra leather last time which tightened them up a bit.

Enfusia wrote:

Go to Vienna for the weekend and get a new pair.

The train to Vienna from Budapest is easy, modern and pleasant. And really cheap in my opinion.

I like Vienna. Being about half way between Budapest and Vienna, I usually prefer going to Vienna.

Hotels are much more expensive in Vienna (I usually stay a day or two when I go to "a big city"), but I for one still prefer Vienna.

klsallee wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

Go to Vienna for the weekend and get a new pair.

The train to Vienna from Budapest is easy, modern and pleasant. And really cheap in my opinion.

I like Vienna. Being about half way between Budapest and Vienna, I usually prefer going to Vienna.

Hotels are much more expensive in Vienna (I usually stay a day or two when I go to "a big city"), but I for one still prefer Vienna.

I don't know what your level of comfort would be that you require. But There are many places on AirBNB like this one: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7642030?s=41Ri

$40 per night and you get to cook your own food too which save big.

Just as examples here are 2 more:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/169672?s=41Rihttps://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7721183?s=41Ri

They would be my 1st choice over a hotel by far. If you want to spend more of course it gets incrementally nicer.

Patrick

Enfusia wrote:

AirBNB

Not interested.

In Vienna I have stayed at 4 star hotels and hostels, so not particular about the room per se. But when I go, I like a competent staff, not a "room/flat mate" (had enough of that in my life).

And when I go to Vienna part of the point is to dine out. To enjoy the night life. So why would I want to cook in my room just to save money? I go to Vienna to spend money.

And there are plenty of rooms in Budapest under 40 Euro. So even AirBNB is more in Austria.

klsallee wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

AirBNB

Not interested.

In Vienna I have stayed at 4 star hotels and hostels, so not particular about the room per se. But when I go, I like a competent staff, not a "room/flat mate" (had enough of that in my life).

And when I go to Vienna part of the point is to dine out. To enjoy the night life. So why would I want to cook in my room just to save money? I go to Vienna to spend money.

And there are plenty of rooms in Budapest under 40 Euro. So even AirBNB is more in Austria.

Ok, just thought I would share. I would never have a flat mate. I only rent AirBNB places where it's a whole apt ect...
I didn't know what all your preferences might be.

I go with my wife and daughter and need a 2 bedroom place. Plus being a natural bodybuilder I need to keep my diet super clean so I very rarely eat out. I take my food with me wherever I go like a religion.
Just different lifestyles for different people.

Trust me, I like hotels with staff waiting on you have and foot too. But my lifelong sport needs to take priority for me.

I just started a thread asking about a tailor in Budapest. I like going out and looking good. My wife does her won clothing designs and they are really good. Conservative and classy. I hope to get some replies on that thread as I'd like to know about it.

Thank you, Patrick

Enfusia wrote:

Plus being a natural bodybuilder I need to keep my diet super clean so I very rarely eat out. I take my food with me wherever I go like a religion.

I understand. But you may never eat out in Hungary. If often seems if you do not cook with copious amounts of fat and loads of salt, it is not considered food here.

I am a vegetarian. When I tell people that here, I am often offered fish or chicken "instead". And I am constantly asked "why" I eat like I do. Special diets are not understood here. They are more understood in Austria, which is one reason I prefer taking free time there.

Enfusia wrote:

I just started a thread asking about a tailor in Budapest.

My wife has had all her business suits hand made locally for a good price, but we do not live in Budapest. I am more the Blaser outfit type, so can not help on that thread myself.

klsallee wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

Plus being a natural bodybuilder I need to keep my diet super clean so I very rarely eat out. I take my food with me wherever I go like a religion.

I understand. But you may never eat out in Hungary. If often seems if you do not cook with copious amounts of fat and loads of salt, it is not considered food here.

I am a vegetarian. When I tell people that here, I am often offered fish or chicken "instead". And I am constantly asked "why" I eat like I do. Special diets are not understood here. They are more understood in Austria, which is one reason I prefer taking free time there.

Enfusia wrote:

I just started a thread asking about a tailor in Budapest.

My wife has had all her business suits hand made locally for a good price, but we do not live in Budapest. I am more the Blaser outfit type, so can not help on that thread myself.

I understand, I was strict Veg for 1 full year, no Lacto, no Ovo, nothing and of course nothing with a face on it.
I did that to clean my body out in a big way. I really needed to. I do juice fasts for 7 days twice a year to keep clean. I went back on the meats because I was not happy with my level of conditioning I was able to maintain with a Veg diet. Yes, I know food combining well etc... But I'm 5ft 6 1/2 and weigh 220 pounds. I found it nearly impossible to keep that with the Veg diet. I thought about going Ovo for the extra protein source. But...

I looked at the food at the covered market and my comment to my wife was "do they eat anything healthy here?"

So, I understand your dilemma in my own way.

Where does your wife get her business suits made? If you could post that on the tailor thread that would be great. My fife designs her own dresses and stuff so that might be helpful. Plus, they might do suits?

Patrick

Jeez, Blaser, Red Wing, same language, different planet.  However, Blaser substitutes might be found at Decathlon (where they have a "hunting" selection.  I guess Austria would be the place to go for the "huntsman" style.

Foodwise, yes, the salt, sugar and fat content over here in processed and restaurant food will shock.   I've even been to places where they put lumps of sugar in soups. It's almost a crime. I myself have health issues and to be honest, it's not worth eating out here unless you can see what they are doing. To be sure it's not going to mess you up,  you really have to do it entirely yourself avoiding anything in packets and tins.

we have a skoda. But I live in Dominican republic. good on pot holes and rough roads

texasdonkey wrote:

we have a skoda. But I live in Dominican republic. good on pot holes and rough roads

Which Skoda?  The VW Skoda or the old school Skoda with a rear engine?

fluffy2560 wrote:

Jeez, Blaser, Red Wing, same language, different planet.  However, Blaser substitutes might be found at Decathlon (where they have a "hunting" selection.  I guess Austria would be the place to go for the "huntsman" style.

Foodwise, yes, the salt, sugar and fat content over here in processed and restaurant food will shock.   I've even been to places where they put lumps of sugar in soups. It's almost a crime. I myself have health issues and to be honest, it's not worth eating out here unless you can see what they are doing. To be sure it's not going to mess you up,  you really have to do it entirely yourself avoiding anything in packets and tins.

Yeah, well I'm just a country boy so a pair a jean and a T shirt or a flannel shirt if it's brisk and I'm good. I don't really plan on going 4 wheeling or anything just like the safety. What I really like is when other people are off the road and I can wave as I go by.
No, not in a twisted kind of way. Just the fact that I'm still moving.

So, if I go to a restaurant there and have plank salmon and cabbage or veggies should that be OK? Or is there something I should watch out for there too?

I don't even eat out most of the time in the states because it's just full of garbage. Looks like I'll really have to be on my toes there.

texasdonkey wrote:

Hi,
I Googled Skoda and they are decent looking cars.

Are they reliable?

If we are talking about the same thing that is. I found this model which could suit my needs. http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-yeti/

Is this the Skoda you're referring to?

Patrick

Enfusia wrote:

So, if I go to a restaurant there and have plank salmon and cabbage or veggies should that be OK? Or is there something I should watch out for there too?

I don't even eat out most of the time in the states because it's just full of garbage. Looks like I'll really have to be on my toes there.

I think healthy suspicion is called for.  Or perhaps better, healthy interest.

Plank salmon no-one will know about. I had to look it up to see what it is.   I think you'll get it cooked in something like white wine but it should be OK. The veg will be probably overcooked as they have no idea.  That said, the portions will almost certainly be large.

Enfusia wrote:

If we are talking about the same thing that is. I found this model which could suit my needs. http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/new-yeti/

The Yeti is a fairly new model.   The older ones were abysmal. But Skoda was always good in engineering and made some excellent rally cars.  They are now part of VW.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

I think healthy suspicion is called for.  Or perhaps better, healthy interest.

Plank salmon no-one will know about. I had to look it up to see what it is.   I think you'll get it cooked in something like white wine but it should be OK. The veg will be probably overcooked as they have no idea.  That said, the portions will almost certainly be large.

Well, I could deal with that without to much of a problem. I really have an aversion to sugar. Not diabetic at all, just don't like how it makes me feel on it, or when I'm coming down from it. Nasty stuff.

Patrick

fluffy2560 wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

The Yeti is a fairly new model.   The older ones were abysmal. But Skoda was always good in engineering and made some excellent rally cars.  They are now part of VW.

Do you know anything about there reliability? That would be a main concern as well.

Thanks, Patrick

One of the things about the food that I do want to know is, how covered in pesticides is it? Is it grown fairly organically? Or can you get organic food there?

Thank you for any feedback on this as it's an important health issue.

Patrick

Enfusia wrote:

One of the things about the food that I do want to know is, how covered in pesticides is it? Is it grown fairly organically? Or can you get organic food there?

Thank you for any feedback on this as it's an important health issue.

Patrick

There are plenty of health food shops in Budapest but it's all pricey. But I have no idea about the pesticides. They probably do use those things as the farming sector is very important to the economy and farming seems to be done on an industrial scale.

Enfusia wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

Do you know anything about there reliability? That would be a main concern as well.

Thanks, Patrick

Skoda are better than they used to be as it's mostly VW. VW is renowed for quality and engineering.  I think you would not have an excessive set of problems with such a car.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Enfusia wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Thanks, Patrick

Skoda are better than they used to be as it's mostly VW. VW is renowed for quality and engineering.  I think you would not have an excessive set of problems with such a car.

I looked them up for reliabilty online and many people gave them only one or 2 stars. Quite a few had problems with rust and corosion.
But, that could have been older models befor VW took them over.

Enfusia wrote:

One of the things about the food that I do want to know is, how covered in pesticides is it?

If you buy in the supermarkets and if it does not have an "organic" label, assume it has been sprayed with chemicals. It may also often come from as far as Spain, Turkey, or further.

Enfusia wrote:

Or can you get organic food there?

Yes. There is an organic certification program in Europe and in Hungary. But in Hungary organic food production is usually small scale. Except for a few items here and there offered in the larger chains (such a butter, milk), your best option is to go to organic stores or markets to get it regularly, and then only in season produce. Or grown your own.

FWIIW, Austria is more "organic" oriented; being a more affluent country people can pay the premium price more, so law of supply and demand applies. Organic is really a niche product in Hungary. I only ate organic in the States and Switzerland. Here, about half-half. Simply can not find many products certified organic where I live. What I grow (e.g. tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, carrots, onions, apples, pears, peaches, plums, almond, walnuts and wine) are all organic. But those are not a complete dietary list.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I guess Austria would be the place to go for the "huntsman" style.

Not just a style. I spend a lot of time time outdoors, and hunting cloths simply keep me warmer and more comfortable than many others, and they wear like iron (I have done the whole "Northface" etc. thing and quality went down a decade ago). There are a number of specialty stores in Hungary that offer this selection where the quality is better than general sports stores with just a similar section.

And of course, one can also shop and order direct on-line.

This is sure going off-topic.....

Enfusia wrote:

I looked them up for reliabilty online and many people gave them only one or 2 stars. Quite a few had problems with rust and corosion. But, that could have been older models befor VW took them over.

Yes, not exactly top quality.  The Dacia Duster isn't supposed to be that bad since Renault had a hand in it.  Suzuki Grand Vitara  I think is assembled in Hungary.  Worth a look at these cars. I've been in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and it was quite OK.

klsallee wrote:

........I have done the whole "Northface" etc. thing and quality went down a decade ago). ....This is sure going off-topic.....

Yes, I think it is off topic.  Northface stuff seems to be mainly made in Vietnam.  You can buy branded Northface stuff there at low prices. Might actually be fake though.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I guess Austria would be the place to go for the "huntsman" style.

Not just a style. I spend a lot of time time outdoors, and hunting cloths simply keep me warmer and more comfortable than many others, and they wear like iron (I have done the whole "Northface" etc. thing and quality went down a decade ago). There are a number of specialty stores in Hungary that offer this selection where the quality is better than general sports stores with just a similar section.

And of course, one can also shop and order direct on-line.

This is sure going off-topic.....

Yes it's off topic but I agree. I love my Pendleton shirts. Those things last for years so long as your wife doesn't wash them in hot water. But then my 12 year old daughter gets a new shirt. Not her style however.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Enfusia wrote:

I looked them up for reliabilty online and many people gave them only one or 2 stars. Quite a few had problems with rust and corosion. But, that could have been older models befor VW took them over.

Yes, not exactly top quality.  The Dacia Duster isn't supposed to be that bad since Renault had a hand in it.  Suzuki Grand Vitara  I think is assembled in Hungary.  Worth a look at these cars. I've been in a Suzuki Grand Vitara and it was quite OK.

Thanks I'll check into those two. The Dacia Duster is one that I had never heard of. I'm interested to see about that as well.

I personally would not buy a flashy car in Hungary unless you have a very secure place to park it.
We had an Audi years ago  that we brought over from the US. Someone tried to break into it in broad daytime while we were parked on King St. in the 7th district. Got into the drivers side and messed up the steering colum some while trying to remove the anti- burglar steering wheel lock.
We later bought a cute red BMW which we noticed caught every young man's eye, always were afraid it would be gone in the morning even though it was parked directly under our flat on the st.
Our friends brought a brand new Honda to Hungary 10 years ago, had everything changed out, lights wind shield etc. It was stolen one morning from the Buda side.
Another American ex pat I knew here in HU walked out of her flat one morning to see a group of young men driving off with her newer Honda. ( guess Honda's get stolen allot here) She started to run after them , they stopped the car and got out and scared her so badly that she ran indoors and they took off with her car, never to be seen again. Our friends also never saw their Honda again.
In years past I personally have enjoyed driving Volvo's and Saab's. Saab's are great because they are front wheel drive and the back seat folds down to make tons of room for moving things, in a pinch you can even stretch out and take a nap( handy while going back and fort between Cali and New Mexico. drove the Saab in snow up in Big Bear, no problems.
At the moment in Hungary we bought an older but solid silver Toyota and have snow tires for winter. We always have good luck with Japanese cars in the past( except for the rip off clutch job we had in Hungary) My husband knows these Japanese cars pretty well since we have had at least a dozen of them in our lifetime, usually very reliable cars. In fact they are about the only models he will buy these days.
Of course if we ever hit the lotto he may be tempted to buy a flash car one more time.
Land Rover's are nice but a bit wide for some of the city streets maybe.

Misread your question my first time around answering.
You can find Skoda, Lada, Seat brand cars here, not sure how good they are.
Renault cars used to be found in the US but I don't think they import them any longer.
Many cars here have small engines, would not be allowed for import in the US.
My in-laws had a Lada in commie days, bought it brand new after waiting the 5 years for deliver after already paying for it in cash .Couldn't even chose the color, they got whatever color and car came out of the truck when it was their turn.
That car lasted them for years, sort of funky though.
I like Alfa's had one in Calif. not sure how reliable the newer models are these days. Mine was a dream to drive, when it was running...One little screw not tight enough and the car would not start, too sensitive for an everyday car.When it was running, it was really fun to drive.